BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up The BBQ & Grilling Thread

Summer is nearly here and as is tradition in the TXSTYLE home, mucho grilling is a about to take place! Really, I grill year around but especially from May - September. I just replaced my previous 8yr old Vermont Casting with a new Weber Genesis S-310. Very excited to start breaking this baby in:
Stainless steel burners
7 mm diameter stainless steel rod cooking grates
BTU-per-hour input: 38,000
Individual electronic ignition system
Total cooking area 637 square inches

And after reading all the praises for Grillgrates, I decided to order a set of 5 (which includes the specialized spatula) to cover my entire cooking surface: http://www.mygrillgrate.com/ If you have never heard of this product, check out these videos:

04-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

I heard that TX style BBQ was inferior - is that true?
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11034.00
      04-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

This thread is for those of us who own grills, enjoy grilling and grilling tips.

Personal preference on "regional flavors" is probably best suited for a different thread.
      04-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I have essentially the same BBQ, an 8 year old S-450. Nice BBQ, still looks like new.

In regards to the grates, just get a griddle, aussies prefer a griddle as we always cook onions and usually some pineapple so my BBQ is half griddle, half grill.
Appreciate 3
      04-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I heard that TX style BBQ was inferior - is that true?
Grilling tip. Don't use TX style BBQ, it's inferior. J/K

Did you know there are more places to get BBQ in Florida than in any other state in the union? Choices, we got em.

I don't BBQ much, there is a road side BBQ place about 1 mile from my house and i have yet to have pulled pork or ribs better than that place.

I do grill often though and about 4 years ago i turned a vegetarian into what is now a raging carnivore with one of my grilled steaks. The secret is in the dry rub seasoning. Well that and the charcoal grill.
      04-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
This thread is for those of us who own grills, enjoy grilling and grilling tips.

Personal preference on "regional flavors" is probably best suited for a different thread.
You know I'm poking fun at you, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Love BBQ'ing.

I do it all year round, but nothing like the warm weather, out by the BBQ with a beer in hand grilling up something good! I have a secret marinade I use for steaks that make them taste fantastic (IMO of course)...was just experimenting one day throwing some ingredients together and it came out well. So now its my go to - can't find a steak in a restaurant that tastes better to be honest, as long as I grill it right.

Wow, something TXStyle and I have in common.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Love BBQ'ing.

I do it all year round, but nothing like the warm weather, out by the BBQ with a beer in hand grilling up something good! I have a secret marinade I use for steaks that make them taste fantastic (IMO of course)...was just experimenting one day throwing some ingredients together and it came out well. So now its my go to - can't find a steak in a restaurant that tastes better to be honest, as long as I grill it right.

Yeah, but did your steak convert a vegetarian? or what ever the Canadian slag equivalent is for vegetarian.
      04-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Sadly no...I haven't met one yet that is adventurous enough to give it a shot.

However, mine did convert my wife from liking her steak so overcooked that it resembled some sort of burnt offering to a medium (and sometimes I sneak in a little more medium rare than medium for her).

I'm much happier cooking her steak now. When she wanted her steak overcooked it almost made me cry doing that to an otherwise lovely piece of meat.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
You know I'm poking fun at you, right?
After I replied... I figured that.

I have had great tasting BBQ from all over. But there's something about the satisfaction of preparing and cooking your own food.
      04-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Love BBQ'ing.

What did you and others here think of the Grillgrates video?

What intrigues me most about the product is that "flare-ups" are all but completely eliminated! That is huge! Especially when grilling skin-on chicken or even a nice thick marbled steak! Even though, this particular grill touts itself as having very little flare ups as well.
      04-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #12
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Without question, charcoal gives the best flavor. BUT, I have gotten some amazingly tasty results by placing moist smoking chips heavy duty foil, poking some holes in it and getting that awesome smoky flavor! Charcoal is also such a PITA to cleanup.
      04-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #13
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Summer is nearly here and as is tradition in the TXSTYLE home, mucho grilling is a about to take place! Really, I grill year around but especially from May - September. I just replaced my previous 8yr old Vermont Casting with a new Weber Genesis S-310. Very excited to start breaking this baby in:

You are going to love the Weber. I have an older Genesis E-310 that works great, which reminds me, I need to refill my propane tank.
      04-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Am I the only one that BBQs on lump charcoal?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #15
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Yes because you're a savage...or so they'll tell you.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #16
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
What intrigues me most about the product is that "flare-ups" are all but completely eliminated! That is huge! Especially when grilling skin-on chicken or even a nice thick marbled steak! Even though, this particular grill touts itself as having very little flare ups as well.
Like I said, just get a griddle plate.

The grill is pretty good, the triangular bars mean you need REALLY fatty foods to induce flare up.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sadly no...I haven't met one yet that is adventurous enough to give it a shot.

However, mine did convert my wife from liking her steak so overcooked that it resembled some sort of burnt offering to a medium (and sometimes I sneak in a little more medium rare than medium for her).

I'm much happier cooking her steak now. When she wanted her steak overcooked it almost made me cry doing that to an otherwise lovely piece of meat.
Oh my. That reminds me of the days when my dad would order filet by asking for the center to be..... grey. At a very casual restaurant a waiter actually confirmed our orders of steak and doneness. When he got to my dad he said, "and some expensive beef-jerky for you".

All has not been lost though, he's now ordering medium these days.

Quote:
After I replied... I figured that.

I have had great tasting BBQ from all over. But there's something about the satisfaction of preparing and cooking your own food.
amen to that!

Quote:
Without question, charcoal gives the best flavor. BUT, I have gotten some amazingly tasty results by placing moist smoking chips heavy duty foil, poking some holes in it and getting that awesome smoky flavor! Charcoal is also such a PITA to cleanup.
I doubt most people can tell the difference from gas and charcoal if the cook is a good one.

I recently switched from briquets to lump and the lump burns far more cleaner and complete. I have at least 40% less ashes from lump. Using a chimney charcoal lighter has also proven to be awesome. I usually fill it half way with new lump, then take the unburnt remains in the grill and load it in the chimney on top of the new. Take a match and light the paraffin wax cube, 12-15 min later and you're ready to cook up your favorite cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Fellow savage here.
      04-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #18
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Just bought my first house and my dad bought me a big green egg a couple weeks ago as a house warming gift. Debating picking up a propane grill as well since the Egg isn't really convenient when just cooking for 2, anyone have suggestions for something relatively small but good?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

I've recently considered moving away from my current 12 year old grill. And move to a more custom table with a Kamado Joe or even a dual set up using a Kamado Joe and my current grill recessed in the same table. I have a couple of columns on my back patio and was thinking of making a wooden grill table with granite top, all mounted on lockable casters that would fit between the house wall and column.

This is the current old faithful.

Komado Joe i am looking at picking up.

This is similar to what i'm thinking of making. About 50% wider than this with the webber countersunk on the opposite end leaving the open counter top in the middle.

Edit: Looks like i'm not the first one with that idea.

04-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #20
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Just bought my first house and my dad bought me a big green egg a couple weeks ago as a house warming gift. Debating picking up a propane grill as well since the Egg isn't really convenient when just cooking for 2, anyone have suggestions for something relatively small but good?
I'd say use the Egg. It's easy enough for 2. Once you get in the routine, it'll seem like nothing.
      04-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #21
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Does smoking count?

Traeger is awesome!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
chassis6336.00
      04-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #22
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post

That's a nice house warming gift. There are loads of cheap gas grill out there, and many of them tend not to last very long. Before I got my Weber, I had a Char-Broil Patio Caddie gas grill. It was good for a small space, however on the downside it only had one burner and a small grilling surface. The small surface wasn't a big deal if you are only cooking a few burgers or chicken breasts. It was definitely a pain in the ass when trying to grill corn on the cob or kabobs.

Maybe one of the smaller Weber gas grills like the Spirit E210 would work for you. It has two burners and the side tables can also fold down to take up less space. I think they go for around $400.