BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Brake Pad what do you guys use?

Hello

I just hit 20k miles on my car and did the oil change today. My guy at the shop told me that the rear brake pads have bout 1500 miles left on it.

I do not like the squealing sound and the dust.. so I wanted to see if anyone else here felt the same way and found a good alternative to OEM brake pads.

He believes it is always good to go with OEM but other than OEM he said he likes Akebono and I don't know much about it.

Has anyone here tried Akebono brakes? does it reduce the squealing sound or dust? if not Akebono what other aftermarket brakes have you guys tried and how's your experience with it?

Appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Akebono ceramic pads for steel rotors are good. Used them on my previous AMG with no issues. However they don’t make front pads for our cars so I now run PowerStop ceramic pads. Just as much bite as stock and 4x LESS dust than stock. Also, the brake pad composite is a grey-ish color oppose to the brown tone from factory pads - also reducing what visible brake dust you see.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Akebono ceramic pads for steel rotors are good. Used them on my previous AMG with no issues. However they don’t make front pads for our cars so I now run PowerStop ceramic pads. Just as much bite as stock and 4x LESS dust than stock. Also, the brake pad composite is a grey-ish color oppose to the brown tone from factory pads - also reducing what visible brake dust you see.
Thanks for the information so Akebono is no go since they don't make our pads as you said.. I was just checking out power stop and I am surprised at the price I am looking at only about 40 dollars per pad? is this correct? This is my first time getting the brake bad replaced and I was expecting a lot more for the parts. where do you get the rotors from? this company does not seem to sell the rotors
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:19 AM   #4
jahkuma
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2015 BMW M6 GC  [0.00]
FCP Euro sells the brake kit, including rotors, check them out.
      11-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
black1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pure Metal M6GC

I use powerstop fronts and akebono rears. Both are equal in terms of reduce brake dust and like stated a light grey dust instead of the heavy brown black from stock pads.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1 View Post
I use powerstop fronts and akebono rears. Both are equal in terms of reduce brake dust and like stated a light grey dust instead of the heavy brown black from stock pads.
Is the brake power/performance similar to OEM?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 06:02 PM   #7
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
Thanks for the information so Akebono is no go since they don't make our pads as you said.. I was just checking out power stop and I am surprised at the price I am looking at only about 40 dollars per pad? is this correct? This is my first time getting the brake bad replaced and I was expecting a lot more for the parts. where do you get the rotors from? this company does not seem to sell the rotors
I still run OEM steel rotors on these pads - no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:23 AM   #8
black1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pure Metal M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
Is the brake power/performance similar to OEM?
Been a while since i had oem pads but it doesn't grab as hard and took a bit to get used to. I'm just done with dirty wheels and cleaning brake dust so don't care.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:54 AM   #9
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1 View Post
Been a while since i had oem pads but it doesn't grab as hard and took a bit to get used to. I'm just done with dirty wheels and cleaning brake dust so don't care.
hmm I am very tempted to get the Akebono brake pads now.. I think the less dust factor alone is worth it for me.. I hate my wheels getting dirty so quickly..
Appreciate 0