BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #1
phan
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, M5 SC'd, M6GC

Squeak/Creak In Rear (Under Seat, Wheel Well?)

Over the last week, I've noticed a strange squeak or creak coming from what sounds like under the rear seat, or perhaps the wheel well. It only (or mainly) happens when accelerating from a dead stop, and only initially when the car moves forward. After I'm at (steady/constant) speed, it's non-existent, until I decel/accel again from a dead stop (doesn't occur when turning that I notice, btw).

I thought it was the center, fold-down console in the rear but that wasn't it. Nothing rear-seat related seems to make the sound when I move things around manually. Pushing down on the rear of the car to make the suspension travel doesn't result in the sound either. It pretty much only occurs when the car moves forward from a dead stop, or at a very low speed.

Has anyone experienced this before, and if so, what was the issue?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

This sounds like it might be driveshaft related. Over time the drive-shaft might develop play. Maybe you should youtube what play in the drivehshaft sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
phan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
This sounds like it might be driveshaft related. Over time the drive-shaft might develop play. Maybe you should youtube what play in the drivehshaft sounds like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debdoub View Post
If that's the case, driveshaft, turn on the ignition with the foot on the brake put the car in drive then put it in reverse, your foot should be on the brake the entire time and the handbrake is disengaged, if you hear the noise you're talking about so most likely the driveshaft is the culpable. How many miles on your car?
The car has a hair over 57k miles.

The videos I found sounded more like a clunk or even a rattle - this is definitely not what i'm hearing. It's more of a squeak or even a creak, as if a bushing was on its way out. If anyone's owned an X5/SUV, I'd liken it to the rear hatch area creaking a bit when going over a bump (my E70 does this all the time, sounds exactly the same).

Either way, thank you both for your responses. The car is curently at BMW getting the third brakelight recall done but when I get it back, I'll do the drive-reverse + brake pedal test to see if the sound is still present.

Could it not be a control arm bushing? I changed the fronts ~5k miles ago but the rears weren't in terrible shape per my indy so I left them alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan View Post
The car has a hair over 57k miles.

The videos I found sounded more like a clunk or even a rattle - this is definitely not what i'm hearing. It's more of a squeak or even a creak, as if a bushing was on its way out. If anyone's owned an X5/SUV, I'd liken it to the rear hatch area creaking a bit when going over a bump (my E70 does this all the time, sounds exactly the same).

Either way, thank you both for your responses. The car is curently at BMW getting the third brakelight recall done but when I get it back, I'll do the drive-reverse + brake pedal test to see if the sound is still present.

Could it not be a control arm bushing? I changed the fronts ~5k miles ago but the rears weren't in terrible shape per my indy so I left them alone.
I initially thought it might've been the bushing but when you said it sounds like its coming from the rear center fold down seat, thats pathognomonic for driveshaft. Bushings would sound like brake squeal, you'll know it's coming from the front or rear suspension but its harder to tell which side passenger or driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
phan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
I initially thought it might've been the bushing but when you said it sounds like its coming from the rear center fold down seat, thats pathognomonic for driveshaft. Bushings would sound like brake squeal, you'll know it's coming from the front or rear suspension but its harder to tell which side passenger or driver.
I said the rear, fold down part because I'd assumed that'd be most likely to be loose from having been used however often, with the joints possibly making the noise. It doesn't necessarily come from the center exactly, and has sounded like both left and right wheel wells on occasion.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
phan
Private
Rep

Got the car back, definitely a "creaking" noise like the E70/SUV example I gave above - and only coming from the passenger rear area. Absolutely that area only. I guess I'll have to jack it up this weekend and see if I can pinpoint anything on that side.
Appreciate 0