BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-26-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

i drive turned red while driving, wont turn on

idrive randomly turned red/orange while driving, i pressed dvd eject to take out the dvd i was watching (dvd in motion) and it turned off completely and my speaker went down

i tried holding the volume/power button down for 30 seconds and letting go, didnt work. i tried holding power and eject button at same time, nothing

i disconnected battery and waited 30 minutes, reconnected, didnt work

car runs fine, just no idrive/music/anything. wtf can this be? 2013 m6 vert.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx__xs View Post
...i tried holding the volume/power button down for 30 seconds and letting go, didnt work. i tried holding power and eject button at same time, nothing

2013 m6 vert.
If you did the reset correctly...the iDrive screen should have went blank. If it didn't go blank...then some procedure that was to occur probably didnt'.

Make sure the START button is pressed (without foot on brake...engine NOT running). Then follow the instruction below where it says to press & hold the VOL button for at least 25 seconds. I'd also pull up the main MENU screen just to be on the safe side.

See paragraph that red arrow is pointing to in pic below from the TIS:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you did the reset correctly...the iDrive screen should have went blank. If it didn't go blank...then some procedure that was to occur probably didnt'.

Make sure the START button is pressed (without foot on brake...engine NOT running). Then follow the instruction below where it says to press & hold the VOL button for at least 25 seconds. I'd also pull up the main MENU screen just to be on the safe side.

See paragraph that red arrow is pointing to in pic below from the TIS:
thanks but im not sure if you read my post correctly, my idrive screen is off and wont turn on. so how can i do any of this. all i can do is hold the volume button down i cant go about doing anything in the menus. the idrive screen is already blank, wont turn on.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:49 AM   #4
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

update: it randomly started working. but every time i floor the car, it goes red and turns off. then randomly starts back up again 20 minutes later. fuse maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 03:52 AM   #5
DRKNTM6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

If the fuse was blown, it would never work. More likely that it's a loose wire or connection somewhere
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 04:19 AM   #6
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34josh View Post
If the fuse was blown, it would never work. More likely that it's a loose wire or connection somewhere
maybe not blown just out of place needs to be pushed in?

ive been reading that its this 61119185171 part number, which needs to be replaced. but i cant find how to get to it anywhere in a DIY
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

can you scan the car with ista? i see your having issues with the cic and i wouldnt be suprised if it is causing other parts to not work as it is the information hub in the car. but based off the power down and restart i would suspect it is either the cic unit itself is failing, or the quadlock connector is loose.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:11 AM   #8
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

fixed. the problem was leaving a dvd in there for too long and playing it nonstop. heats up and shuts down.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx__xs View Post
fixed. the problem was leaving a dvd in there for too long and playing it nonstop. heats up and shuts down.
wow. good solution, cant imagine it got that hot though to shut down the infotainment system. but maybe due to the constant video demand from CIC, NBT doesnt seem to have that issue, perhaps a processing difference between the different systems.

Regardless nice find!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:40 PM   #10
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
wow. good solution, cant imagine it got that hot though to shut down the infotainment system. but maybe due to the constant video demand from CIC, NBT doesnt seem to have that issue, perhaps a processing difference between the different systems.

Regardless nice find!
embarrassing, but i celebrated too soon.

i went 2-3 days without it crashing.

2-3 days without using a dvd, and it didnt crash, i assumed it was fixed. today, driving 10 mph, no dvd in tray for 3 days, and out of nowhere i get this screen again for 20 seconds before it goes dark

my HUD also crashed..until it restarted 30 min later, only to die immediately again, now my idrive is dead but my HUD is active.

i have alot of codes..

Central Gateway Module codes

Quote:
101008 - unresolvable ambiguous routing - SG not in SVT target table

100600 - flexray protocol startup time is too high

930006 - sudden light off - MOST: light goes out unexpectedly

100100 - Contact to FZM slave lost

100104 - HW weckgrund ZGW

100001 - VcmResultSvtCheck - identity check: differences have been detected between SVT actual and SVT target

100204 - Message monitoring: system context signal failed
Heads up Display code

Quote:
8001B1 - NVM_E_READ_FAILED
Junction Box Electronics codes

Quote:
002031 - VSM_EVENT_VEHICLESTATE

002040 - PDC: reset due to watchdog timeout

002044 - K-LIN_5 : LIN management desynchronization
After clearing all codes and starting car, idrive still dead, heres the codes

Central Gateway Module codes

Quote:
100100 - Contact to FZM slave lost

100001 - VcmResultSvtCheck - identity check: differences have been detected between SVT actual and SVT target
Integrated Chassis Management Codes

Quote:
482740 - Autosar - StandardCore - CAN - Interface Transmit buffer full
honestly this is a clusterfuck. Im thinking, can it be that video input cable, if the power goes out to idrive? i mean the speaker goes down, and everything. if it was video input problem, would speaker go down? im hoping its not the CIC unit, but it may be...i have warranty but aftermarket, i dont think covers CIC

I cant find SHIT on most of these codes
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:24 AM   #11
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

ok after it turned on and off a million times again..i noticed this code

video connection: lvds - lock is missing

is that the cable for video connection everyone says might be faulty?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #12
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

contact bimmer-tech.net for deeper assitance with that. i would say the head unit died imo. the zgw and cgw still appear to be responding. i bet the fiber optic port is dying in the head unit. that is the loss in lock missing. having dealt with fiber optic systems before typically losing lock is data bit stream errors. or loss of reference clock. for the screen to display i would say the power cable is good, the display cable is also probably good, since with no input the screen turns off. its probably easy to say just replace the dead unit but i fear that may be the solution instead of something a little cheaper or easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
contact bimmer-tech.net for deeper assitance with that. i would say the head unit died imo. the zgw and cgw still appear to be responding. i bet the fiber optic port is dying in the head unit. that is the loss in lock missing. having dealt with fiber optic systems before typically losing lock is data bit stream errors. or loss of reference clock. for the screen to display i would say the power cable is good, the display cable is also probably good, since with no input the screen turns off. its probably easy to say just replace the dead unit but i fear that may be the solution instead of something a little cheaper or easier.
hmm. if the unit itself is dead that sucks but id want to know for sure before sinking it those bucks to replace it instead of a 50$ cable
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #14
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

True. You may be able to get a used cable too. I forget if it is wrapped into the harness with cloth tape.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 02:50 AM   #15
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

i just bought a cic unit ..14 day return policy. lets give it a go
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #16
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

i just took out my CIC..i saw a blue 15 fuse in the back , before replacing the CIC unit i replaced the blue fuse. it works now, but the problem is intermittent. so i will wait 2 days to see how it does before replacing the CIC
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #17
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

cic still works.

the fuse i replaced looked good, so i dont know if this is a coincidence that its working or what.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #18
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

potential coincidence, only time will tell right now. did you unplug the quad lock and put it back on? potentially reconnecting could solve your problem, provide better contact on the connector blades. it if the CIC unit is truly failing it will come back up as a failure. just curious how much was a replacement CIC head unit?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #19
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
potential coincidence, only time will tell right now. did you unplug the quad lock and put it back on? potentially reconnecting could solve your problem, provide better contact on the connector blades. it if the CIC unit is truly failing it will come back up as a failure. just curious how much was a replacement CIC head unit?
i played a video for about 30 miinutes, still working. im trying to get it to fail again but it wont. i have 11 days left return for the cic unit.

no, all i did was replace the fuse. i should have unplugged it though...damn.

it cost 300$ for a used one off ebay that was tested off a 13 m6
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #20
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

haven't seen this update in a few days, looks promising!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #21
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
haven't seen this update in a few days, looks promising!
it still works. looks like it was the fuse. im returning the cic today
Appreciate 0