BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-12-2021, 10:09 PM   #1
442_Tom
Registered
Rep
Drives: Olds 442, 650i

More N63 oddities, turbo coolant line leak

So I just replaced the infamous turbo coolant Y deep down behind the alternator and the two Ts on top of the fabulous N63, and with the engine cover off just drove it about 30 minutes to check for leaks. Noticed quite a loud whining coming from passenger side front near alternator. This ‘fan’ sound may happen all the time but I heard it much differently with the engine cover off, and it seemed to last longer than ‘normal’ - 10 to 12 minutes. Is this N63 normal - thank you
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

It is normal for the Aux fan to run after the engine shuts down. Mine was running just the other day. It was 78 F outside. If I interpret your location properly as South Eastern US, then you are in a warmer climate, where this would be common.

L
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #3
442_Tom
Registered
Rep

Thanks L, haven’t driven the 6 lately but when I do it’s performing well, same oil consumption issue of course, and yes the fan noise is ubiquitous once I park it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 01:19 AM   #4
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Noticed this last weekend. I'm going to replace them in a day or two with the brass "T" 3/8" and new hoses.
I haven't looked at the "Y" connector under the turbos too much disassembly at this point
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442_Tom View Post
So I just replaced the infamous turbo coolant Y deep down behind the alternator and the two Ts on top of the fabulous N63, and with the engine cover off just drove it about 30 minutes to check for leaks. Noticed quite a loud whining coming from passenger side front near alternator. This ‘fan’ sound may happen all the time but I heard it much differently with the engine cover off, and it seemed to last longer than ‘normal’ - 10 to 12 minutes. Is this N63 normal - thank you
Can the Y behind the alternator been seen with one of the small boroscope cameras on the end of a cable or is it impossible?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Can the Y behind the alternator been seen with one of the small boroscope cameras on the end of a cable or is it impossible?
I believe it goes across to the other side under the turbo inlets. I'm replacing the entire Y line with OEM for peace of mind and hope I don't need to remove the alternator.

I recommend everyone to double check their Y line even after replacing the Y connector. The worm clamps I was using was still causing a tiny leak after replacing with a brass T. The short hose that connects to the nipple with a tiny worm gear was also still leaking. That hose especially gets weaker and the clamps wear out/dig into the hose thus ripping it. Highly recommend to just buy OEM assembled Y line from FCPEURO (~$55) and OEM clamps for peace of mind. You can find the exact part numbers for your vehicle on realOEM, they vary slightly with different models. If it gives you trouble in another 5 years or so...get a free replacement from FCPEURO (lifetime warranty).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjoker View Post
I believe it goes across to the other side under the turbo inlets. I'm replacing the entire Y line with OEM for peace of mind and hope I don't need to remove the alternator.

I recommend everyone to double check their Y line even after replacing the Y connector. The worm clamps I was using was still causing a tiny leak after replacing with a brass T. The short hose that connects to the nipple with a tiny worm gear was also still leaking. That hose especially gets weaker and the clamps wear out/dig into the hose thus ripping it. Highly recommend to just buy OEM assembled Y line from FCPEURO (~$55) and OEM clamps for peace of mind. You can find the exact part numbers for your vehicle on realOEM, they vary slightly with different models. If it gives you trouble in another 5 years or so...get a free replacement from FCPEURO (lifetime warranty).
I'm not so much interested in locating it as I am in whether I can see whether it might be showing signs of leaking w/o disassembly.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:17 PM   #8
442_Tom
Registered
Rep

Sorry for the late response but yes if you are on passenger side of vehicle with engine cover off, look at about 45° angle behind alternator and you should be able to see the Y connector. It’s fairly deep down but I can see mine with the engine cover off as described with naked eye and headlamp/ flashlight. And certainly with a scope you shouldn’t have any problems. Here is a before and after (with scope) photos
Attached Images

Last edited by 442_Tom; 03-16-2022 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:40 PM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Thanks. I was just thinking about looking again.
Appreciate 0