BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #45
rexis
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

I have started the installation but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the head unit. I am following this video but the silver trim is not sliding out as this guy is suggesting in the video.
. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #46
Keysersoze819
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexis View Post
I have started the installation but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the head unit. I am following this video but the silver trim is not sliding out as this guy is suggesting in the video.
. What am I missing?
That guy is an idiot. That bezel
Does not get removed. After you take out the climate vents disconnect the wires for it so you have more room. Then remove screws from monitor and it lifts fight out. Just one cable connected to it. There are a bunch of videos here on forum of people installing new screens. Check my posts also. :seesaw:
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:13 AM   #47
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysersoze819 View Post
That guy is an idiot. That bezel
Does not get removed. After you take out the climate vents disconnect the wires for it so you have more room. Then remove screws from monitor and it lifts fight out. Just one cable connected to it. There are a bunch of videos here on forum of people installing new screens. Check my posts also. :seesaw:
100% not sure what he is doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:15 AM   #48
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexis View Post
. What am I missing?
Remove the trim with the vents
Remove the four screws holding the climate panel in place
Remove and disconnect two plugs
Remove the four screws holding the computer in place
Pull the unit out and disconnect

It's that easy...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #49
rexis
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Much appreciated the replies guys! I feel really stupid. I was having trouble with the screen not the head unit(I realized I have been calling the screen "head unit"). I have been able to pry out the screen's front part.

Last edited by rexis; 10-30-2019 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 03:02 PM   #50
texascfo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Great, very happy to hear about your positive experience! My wired UniChip worked perfectly, although Android Auto was not full screen last time I checked. I *assume* this is more on the Android end than the box end.
Running iOS 13 beta too!

How long does it usually take for the BT connection to be established when you get in the car?

I came up with a pretty nice way to have access to the USB connector while installing my (wired) UniChip box. Obviously, being wired, having access to it was more important than it is to you with a wireless one. The female USB connector stops by the driver center console where USB extensions cable is plugged. That cable is then routed under the side plastic of the center console into the armrest exposing the cable slightly (from the side plastic end into the armrest). Inside the armrest, the USB connector is fixed with a double sided table. Used a short lightning cable to keep the phone inside the amr rest and discourage myself from reaching for a phone while driving, but during Phoenix summers I've learned that the phone has to be outside the armrest, unless I want my phone to shut down for being overheated (!!!). Anyway, if somebody is interested, I can post photos.

I like how you mount your phone on the dash in the video. How did you do that? I don't see anything on your dash. Do you stick something to the back of your phone?

Contacted UniChip to see if I could maybe update my existing box (hoping the hardware might be same).

Cheers!

Hello, I have my USB female just outside the connector and want to run this to center console. Would loive to see your pictures of what you did.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:21 AM   #51
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

@texascfo I ended up with just a quality, long lightning cable. Had two-three usb extension cables routed into the armrest but they would last couple months before giving connectivity issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0