BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-17-2019, 12:14 AM   #67
dclin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FD3S

I emailed Dasaita, and they emailed my back the next day asking for details on the vehicle. Sent them images of the original and LCI versions we have for the F06/F12/F13. Hopefully something comes out of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:43 AM   #68
bleunetizen
Private
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

they've updated their website and now it has the option for CIC.

I dont think I am getting it at that price though
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 02:47 AM   #69
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

So after digging around on YouTube, I found this recent AVIN promo video of their Android 8.1 interface (with no audio, because it's 2019) that does show settings with the 360 cameras as a selectable option. Nothing of it in action though, and no selection for the front bumper cameras (though I barely use those anyways). Good sign regardless, though I'm still not ready to pay a premium to be a guinea pig .

(camera options at about 1:20)

***edit*** To expand on this, I don't know if you can switch between the rear camera and the 360 cameras at the press of the camera button on the center console to the right of the gear shift lever as you can with the factory system, since it appears there is a separate selection for the rear factory camera and the 360 cameras in the AVIN system settings menu. I switch between these views quite often when backing up into my garage parking space.

Last edited by dclin; 02-08-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #70
Iluvspl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m6

please understand when you do this your audio quality when streaming music thru bluetooth and apple car play will drop in quality. I was going to do this and than found that out. if you care about audio quality I would think twice about this because it uses the AUX for all the audio.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #71
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvspl View Post
please understand when you do this your audio quality when streaming music thru bluetooth and apple car play will drop in quality. I was going to do this and than found that out. if you care about audio quality I would think twice about this because it uses the AUX for all the audio.
Yes, I've seen anecdotal mention of that. I was planning on getting a USB 4G modem like I have for my Dasaita double din Android unit for my daily Xterra, but now that you mention it - while AVIN does sell a 3G USB modem - there is no mention of a USB modem support under the spec section (just Wifi). I was also banking on Google Play working on this unit, and keeping songs 'offline'.

BTW, it seems AVIN has updated the Feature and Options section of the unit web page with a bit more detail of feature support.

https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-6-seri...on-system.html
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #72
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvspl View Post
I'm wondering if there might not be a solution in the form of an intermediary HighRes DAC between the head unit and amp. For example, if we have TOSLINK (or even wifi) out from the head unit, you could send that to a HiFiBerry DAC+DSP (either with or without the Pi) and then output to the amp. That would certainly address the sound quality issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 11:35 PM   #73
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

So there appears to be at least 3-4 systems available on Aliexpress. I'm starting to think Cincinnatus is right, and they are all using the same Android OS copy, and probably just differ in hardware. So it appears it comes down to the systems having Android 7 or Android 8, and whether it has 1G Ram/4 Core processor, and 2G Ram/6 Core processor

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/bmw-f0...wCP=y&jump=afs (if you search 'BMW F12 Android', you'll find another)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #74
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclin View Post
So there appears to be at least 3-4 systems available on Aliexpress. I'm starting to think Cincinnatus is right, and they are all using the same Android OS copy, and probably just differ in hardware. So it appears it comes down to the systems having Android 7 or Android 8, and whether it has 1G Ram/4 Core processor, and 2G Ram/6 Core processor

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/bmw-f0...wCP=y&jump=afs (if you search 'BMW F12 Android', you'll find another)
What's interesting is that the AVIN folks seem to be offering those same versions. Heck, even the accessories like backup cameras and GPS splitters are the same.

Even more interesting is that the pricing of the vendors at AliExpress are just not that attractive. When they get under $500 is when they'll have my attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #75
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anything new on this front? I'm still interested, but the lack of reply from AVIN doesn't speak well of them as a company.
Appreciate 0