BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-13-2021, 03:28 AM   #1
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Downpipe Smell?

I'm wanting to get more sound and I'm considering downpipes. My car isn't a daily driver but I do take the wife with me when we go on trips. If I go with catless downpipes, is the gas smell bad or something she would notice all the time? How bad is it?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
johndeere
mhmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: MS3X

You'll always smell the gas. I have catless. It doesn't bother me, but I can smell it every time I start the car.
Appreciate 1
Kick 6285.00
      05-13-2021, 06:40 PM   #3
yifuuX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

I have catless downpipes, shouldn't be too bad as long as she's not standing around the boot for too long.
The drone sound is something you should be worried about if your exhaust doesn't have valves, most of the girls might find it annoying.
Appreciate 1
Kick 6285.00
      05-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F13 M6 Comp pkg

I have my exhaust valves forced open all the time on my Comp exhaust. The wife hates loud cars. It doesn't bother her.

Gas smell is very noticeable with my downpipes. IF you let the car run in the garage with the door open, the smell is significant. Totally worth it to me. The sound and the power.
Appreciate 1
Kick 6285.00
      05-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #5
GilM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW I3, BMW M6, BMW M3(SOLD)

Does it smell even in the car when the windows are Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay77 View Post
I have my exhaust valves forced open all the time on my Comp exhaust. The wife hates loud cars. It doesn't bother her.

Gas smell is very noticeable with my downpipes. IF you let the car run in the garage with the door open, the smell is significant. Totally worth it to me. The sound and the power.

Last edited by GilM3; 05-14-2021 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: I mean up not down.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilM3 View Post
I second this question, please tell us No!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 01:29 AM   #7
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing View Post
No there is no smell when windows up, Only in a closed area,or standing right behind the car, maybe if your at a stop light widows down and the wind blows to the front of the car, you guys never been on Motorcycles, quads ,Jetskis ,dirt bikes, snowmobiles ? they all have that smell ,the engine doesnt want the cats there its like running with a paper towel stuffed in your mouth
On the highway you will never smell it because your always moving in front of it
My wife never smelled it until she walked behind the car
Remember if you really dont like it its always reversible give it a try
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1
Kick 6285.00
      05-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe, 2017 X5M

When I'm on drives behind any catless car, it makes me nauseous. I've had friends put it back on just because of this. THey were not M5/M6 cars, but I doubt that matters.
Appreciate 1
Kick 6285.00
      05-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #9
rdrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC WHITE

just did RKTUNE downpipes and tune !!! hate the smell they retuned it Friday to cute smell down. not worth it. don't bother about to take them out . not worth the smell when you driven and stop at a light or just parked idling, your car smells .
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 03:37 AM   #10
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F13 M6 Comp pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
No there is no smell when windows up, Only in a closed area,or standing right behind the car, maybe if your at a stop light widows down and the wind blows to the front of the car, you guys never been on Motorcycles, quads ,Jetskis ,dirt bikes, snowmobiles ? they all have that smell ,the engine doesnt want the cats there its like running with a paper towel stuffed in your mouth
On the highway you will never smell it because your always moving in front of it
My wife never smelled it until she walked behind the car
Remember if you really dont like it its always reversible give it a try
I agree with this statement.

You can not smell it in the car with the windows up. Even at a stop light with the windows down it does not bother us at all. The wife would lose her mind if it did bother her, she has never said a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrage View Post
just did RKTUNE downpipes and tune !!! hate the smell they retuned it Friday to cute smell down. not worth it. don't bother about to take them out . not worth the smell when you driven and stop at a light or just parked idling, your car smells .
I totally disagree with this however. Issue could be your tune, running too rich. The ONLY time it is really annoying is when I am in an enclosed area with the car running, like my garage at home. Other than that, it is a non issue.
Appreciate 1
Whipple262.50