BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-30-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

F06 fuel injectors install diy

Hey anyone done their own fuel injector and documented the process as tools used for the injector puller…?

I am about to go down this rabbit hole and since I recently did my own coils and spark plugs all brand new oem along with o2 sensors this was on my list next…

Looking for tips and feedback from anyone whom has done this.

Thanks in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
I have not done this project yet but I have learned that you'll need to determine whether you have EU5 or EU6 injectors which has to be done with ISTA. You'll need to be able to program the calibration codes from each injector, make sure you track that code and cylinder.

There is a tool that you'll need to pull the injectors. I have read various experiences and watched a YT video or two where folks had a really hard time extracting the injector. FCPEuro sells an injector replacement kit and have some notes on using ISTA in their parts description, https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...h-0261500262kt
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
jjgrizz73120.50
      05-01-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
jjgrizz73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

This is something I'll be interested in tackling soon as well!
Hopefully some good info will arise. These DIY topics sometimes fall flat!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 03:57 AM   #4
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
What would be a "valid reason" to replace injectors? Or are they "consumables" like plugs in our cars? If so, assume this is an expensive exercise if done at the dealer…?

Speaking of injectors, are they one of these "frequent failure" points in our cars?

Sorry, these questions are a bit off topic, but thought I'd ask if anyone following this post has information to share. The reason is that I now have had 2 oil analysis done (one recently, 8,000 km oil life and another one about 12 months ago, 5,000 km) and both showed high (3.0%) fuel dilution. The lab suggested injector/s might be the culprit, and when discussing this with the dealer SA they told me about an M5 that had the full engine replaces because of one injector providing too much fuel (apparently didn't close properly)… They are still wondering what to do about my engine, but since this is happening as we speak, thought I'd educate myself as much as I can…

I raised this well before the warranty expired, so I'm reasonably comfortable we'll achieve an outcome I can live with…

Thanks in advance anyone who can shed more light to the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
What would be a "valid reason" to replace injectors? Or are they "consumables" like plugs in our cars? If so, assume this is an expensive exercise if done at the dealer…?

Speaking of injectors, are they one of these "frequent failure" points in our cars?

Sorry, these questions are a bit off topic, but thought I'd ask if anyone following this post has information to share. The reason is that I now have had 2 oil analysis done (one recently, 8,000 km oil life and another one about 12 months ago, 5,000 km) and both showed high (3.0%) fuel dilution. The lab suggested injector/s might be the culprit, and when discussing this with the dealer SA they told me about an M5 that had the full engine replaces because of one injector providing too much fuel (apparently didn't close properly)… They are still wondering what to do about my engine, but since this is happening as we speak, thought I'd educate myself as much as I can…

I raised this well before the warranty expired, so I'm reasonably comfortable we'll achieve an outcome I can live with…

Some model years had some injector failures that prompted BMW to provide an extension of warranty on them.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...38372-9999.pdf
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Quote:

Some model years had some injector failures that prompted BMW to provide an extension of warranty on them.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...38372-9999.pdf
Thanks, mine is '18, produced in late 2017, so likely not suffering from this…?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I am looking to replace my injectors as I have recently had 2 cylinder misfires on WOT only this time I had just replaced all plugs and coils brand new oem …

It's the next step to preventative potential issues…

I seen some videos for other bmw models but not ours…
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2021, 11:29 PM   #8
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

What about the coding of the injectors is there is an app or recomended unit for this? I currently use BimmerCode and bimmerlink but these won't do anything to help tune the values for each cylinder to the injector… trying to understand the various tools available to get this done and the range of these tools cost wise and feature wise… thanks in advanced?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:27 AM   #9
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

Found this on Amazon which will allow for injector programming - will report back once I get this project done!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
These folks have seemed to put a lot of effort in their kit. https://www.bimmergeeks.net/protool

I haven't bought it yet but will be getting it when I return home from work OCONUS at the end of July.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
These folks have seemed to put a lot of effort in their kit. https://www.bimmergeeks.net/protool

I haven't bought it yet but will be getting it when I return home from work OCONUS at the end of July.
Yeah that one looks sweet! Only I wish it would also support ios… not an Android owner
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #12
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
Quote:

Yeah that one looks sweet! Only I wish it would also support ios… not an Android owner
Same here! This is a droid free house.
Appreciate 0