BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
frazj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d Coupe

Driver’s seat “click” noise.

Hello everyone, I thought that others would find this information useful:

I have had an incredibly annoying clicking sound coming from my driver’s seat for the last few months, normally when my body moves slightly whilst cornering or accelerating/decelerating. I have been through just about every forum post about this, and applied grease in various places to alleviate it. Nothing seemed to have helped and I had problems replicating the noise whilst not seated in the car.

Just the other day I discovered that the same noise coming from the seat whilst moving it backwards and forwards on its tracks. I hopped out and investigated the location of the noise, knowing that I could replicate it. As it turned out, the noise was coming from the aft seat rail cover, which is part 11 in the diagram:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=52_3716

I just popped the cover off and now the noise is gone. I may try to reattach it with some silicone spray applied to the points where it meets the rail itself.

I hope this may help some of you, and it’s certainly worth a try if you have a similar issue.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I have found that silcone spray tends to exacerbate plastic rubbing sounds, especially plastic on plastic. What I have found to be the miracle cure for all car creaks is liquid wax bicycle chain lube. It is wax in a solvent, and when the solvent evaporates in a few seconds, you are left with basically very soft candle wax, but excess wipes right off, and it will not hurt anything. Google Finish Line wax bicycle chain lube. That's what I use.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #3
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

If yiure referring to the 'thunk' when turning left/right while driving, this is a known problem. Rumor has it that PTFE (Teflon) spray fixes the problem. There's a thread about it here somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
frazj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
If yiure referring to the 'thunk' when turning left/right while driving, this is a known problem. Rumor has it that PTFE (Teflon) spray fixes the problem. There's a thread about it here somewhere.
Cincinnatus, no. It was just a very slight "click" noise.

The seats in these cars do seem to give rise to many irritating noise issues though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
Roccaas
Mid life crisis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible F12

Garage List
If anyone has a link to track down the “left/right” click I’d be appreciative. I though I was hearing things....

Thanks