BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #111
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
If your password uses any of these things, you need to rethink your life.
Huh? These are the security questions you typically see when you set up an account. Hackers have been farming them on social media for years. Ask an innocent question like when is your birthday and hundreds of stupid people answer the question. Just like this thread.
      06-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #112
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Huh? These are the security questions you typically see when you set up an account. Hackers have been farming them on social media for years. Ask an innocent question like when is your birthday and hundreds of stupid people answer the question. Just like this thread.
Then don't be stupid and select security questions that are potentially public info... Not a single site that requires those questions sets them for you, they ALL let you pick from a list.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #113
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Then don't be stupid and select security questions that are potentially public info... Not a single site that requires those questions sets them for you, they ALL let you pick from a list.
Huh? This has absolutely nothing to do with what questions they pick when setting up accounts. This is about stupid people answering questions on social media that are not public info.

Try it. You can get people to answer anything on Twitter because they think it is fun. People love to share. Then bad people use all that info to hack you.
      06-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #114
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

University of Tennessee - Bachelor's Degree in Logistics & Supply Chain Management with Collateral in International Business.

GO VOLS!!
Appreciate 2
Dagamus_NM1639.50
Run Silent15127.00
      06-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #115
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
I feel like everyone on here is either an engineer or in healthcare.
I'm in Technology, and it's not even what my degree is in.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #116
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Cool stuff being said, what happened to the 360?

I'm graduating in December with a degree in binge drinking and a minor in having fun
Sold the 360 - if you recall from the original post - it was really just a bucket list item and a test to see if I could own one and spend very little money. I succeeded.

Refresh my memory - weren't you getting an engineering degree? What type again? We are looking to hire several engineers this fall.
Ahh gotcha. Glad you enjoyed it!

And now I feel bad for mentioning my "degree" in such fashion, but I'm in civil engineering and have a minor in business. (if you can take me seriously after that post above)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #117
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
University of Tennessee - Bachelor's Degree in Logistics & Supply Chain Management with Collateral in International Business.

GO VOLS!!
I live just up the road. I've done some adjunct professor work for them on occasion. Lovely campus. Still enjoy 'Cool Beans'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Ahh gotcha. Glad you enjoyed it!

And now I feel bad for mentioning my "degree" in such fashion, but I'm in civil engineering and have a minor in business. (if you can take me seriously after that post above)
I knew there was a disconnect. We need mechanical and electrical.
      06-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #118
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Stephen F Austin State University. East Texas Ivy league school. Most folks majored in Forestry. Go fig. Me...typical Bachelors in Business Admin. Down there for a golf scholarship. Payed for most of my schooling. Didn't learn anything except that I wasn't good enough go get on the PGA. Just southern belles and beer was my mission. Worked out just fine.

Funny story gotta hear though. My folks flew in the day before. Of course after finals I had been partying for 3 days straight getting ready for The Walk to get my piece of paper. Night before I was naked in the fountain that's in front of the Roush business building with my female companion doing "laps" so to speak. The next day my folks were walking the campus for a bit and we came to the fountain of course. I looked at my dad while my mom was wondering and told him the night before. He just smiled and said I came down here to listen to this shit?? " And you are actually graduating? he said. I said we'll find out in about 3 hours...
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #119
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
I feel like everyone on here is either an engineer or in healthcare.
But what do we do if you’re both?
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8211.00
Dagamus_NM1639.50
      06-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #120
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
But what do we do if you’re both?
LOL...I have done some HMI programming in some smaller medical practices before as side cash. Done the same for POS interfaces in Restaurants as well.

Nice money on the side...but I figured out I like my free time better!
      06-25-2020, 05:50 AM   #121
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
LOL...I have done some HMI programming in some smaller medical practices before as side cash. Done the same for POS interfaces in Restaurants as well.

Nice money on the side...but I figured out I like my free time better!
What’s free time?

Started my day at 6:00am and finished around 9:00pm last night. Getting ready to head into surgery now. Come on weekend!!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      06-25-2020, 06:19 AM   #122
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What’s free time?

Started my day at 6:00am and finished around 9:00pm last night. Getting ready to head into surgery now. Come on weekend!!
Stay safe man.

Got to see my daughter this past weekend and it had been forever. She's in good spirits...just tired!
      06-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #123
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Stay safe man.

Got to see my daughter this past weekend and it had been forever. She's in good spirits...just tired!
Good to hear! Thankfully it seems that most are in the same - good vibes but just exhausted.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      06-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #124
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Found this interesting. Trump to sign executive order to direct federal employers to prioritize skills over education. Looks like they’re already working on an ad campaign to trickle this into the private workforce as well.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ollege-degrees
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615239.50
      06-26-2020, 07:41 AM   #125
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Found this interesting. Trump to sign executive order to direct federal employers to prioritize skills over education. Looks like they’re already working on an ad campaign to trickle this into the private workforce as well.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ollege-degrees
Good. Maybe they will actually get some solid subject matter experts rather then engineers fresh out of school that know nothing of which they speak. Meanwhile there are techs that know every nook and cranny, bout time they got paid for it. And this is coming from an engineer, not like I'm biased or anything.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8211.00
vreihen1615239.50
      06-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #126
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Good. Maybe they will actually get some solid subject matter experts rather then engineers fresh out of school that know nothing of which they speak. Meanwhile there are techs that know every nook and cranny, bout time they got paid for it. And this is coming from an engineer, not like I'm biased or anything.
Believe me, I’m right there with you. I’m also an engineer and have personally hired some folks that had a technical associates or certificate over ones with BSME. Majority of the time the “tech” knew more with actual hands on experience and showed eagerness to learn and develop. Not very objective, but recent ME grads often showed a certain level of elite and smug. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      06-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #127
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Believe me, I’m right there with you. I’m also an engineer and have personally hired some folks that had a technical associates or certificate over ones with BSME. Majority of the time the “tech” knew more with actual hands on experience and showed eagerness to learn and develop. Not very objective, but recent ME grads often showed a certain level of elite and smug. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
Exactly. Eagerness to learn and hands-on experience is key. I've worked with dozens of MEs, and they're usually the most difficult to deal with. Or worse yet they design something that is completely unfeasible to manufacture, then you call them on it and they look like a deer in headlights hahah. Them: "Well I thought you could build it"..... Me: "Okay pal, and how do you figure we should approach that?". Having a mix of both technical knowledge and hands on-experience is the perfect balance.

I'm half way through my Master's in Mechanical Engineering w/ Villanova, none of those courses made me any better at my position. Waste of time, but my old company was paying for the courses so I figured why not. Now at my new company I don't feel the need to pursue it any further. If anything I'd like to get my MBA.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8211.00
      06-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #128
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I live just up the road. I've done some adjunct professor work for them on occasion. Lovely campus. Still enjoy 'Cool Beans'.
Sadly Cool Beans is about the only bar left on the strip. Based on your location and previous posts, I figured you were somewhere in the area.
I miss being able to run over to the Tail of the Dragon. Used to do that a lot in school with my '98 240.

Definitely no twists/turns down here in South FL or mountains to enjoy. Beach year round is nice though lol

Last edited by ramman434; 06-26-2020 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #129
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
Sadly Cool Beans is about the only bar left on the strip. Based on your location and previous posts, I figured you were somewhere in the area.
I miss being able to run over to the Tail of the Dragon. Used to do that a lot in school with my '98 240.

Definitely no twists/turns down here in South FL or mountains to enjoy. Beach year round is nice though lol
Very true. I moved here from Florida, so it does have it's good points too.

TotD is fun, but I like 421 the Snake much better. No cops and no Harley's going 10 mph.
      06-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #130
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. Eagerness to learn and hands-on experience is key. I've worked with dozens of MEs, and they're usually the most difficult to deal with. Or worse yet they design something that is completely unfeasible to manufacture, then you call them on it and they look like a deer in headlights hahah. Them: "Well I thought you could build it"..... Me: "Okay pal, and how do you figure we should approach that?". Having a mix of both technical knowledge and hands on-experience is the perfect balance.

I'm half way through my Master's in Mechanical Engineering w/ Villanova, none of those courses made me any better at my position. Waste of time, but my old company was paying for the courses so I figured why not. Now at my new company I don't feel the need to pursue it any further. If anything I'd like to get my MBA.
Same as you guys. My specialty is Controls and Automation...when I got out of college I went to work for a private electrical outfit. I was supposed to support their new side of the business. Whenever I had time, I would get in with the "old" Guys who had been there forever as I wanted more insight into the Power and Distribution side.

They were crazy. They would say...yeah the EE said to do this, but here is what we do. Let him try pulling that many wires in one conduit.

I never let my degree go to my head as application and theory can be a broad area to bridge.
vreihen1615239.50
      06-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #131
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Same as you guys. My specialty is Controls and Automation...when I got out of college I went to work for a private electrical outfit. I was supposed to support their new side of the business. Whenever I had time, I would get in with the "old" Guys who had been there forever as I wanted more insight into the Power and Distribution side.

They were crazy. They would say...yeah the EE said to do this, but here is what we do. Let him try pulling that many wires in one conduit.

I never let my degree go to my head as application and theory can be a broad area to bridge.
Those two are the reason why I find the ones without the BSxE are often times the better grab. Theory is a far cry from what actually works and ultimately gets applied.

Quote:

Hey! I resent that remark!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      06-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #132
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those two are the reason why I find the ones without the BSxE are often times the better grab. Theory is a far cry from what actually works and ultimately gets applied.

Hey! I resent that remark!
Lol...and when dealing with electricity you don't have room for error!