BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Cool Yard freaks

Who are our yard freaks here? I have roughly 1/3 acre here in Sunny FL. Also have a largely mixed yard. I'm a fan of Bermuda grass and have been working on my yard now for over a year. Just applied Scotts Turf builder weed and feed. Got a lot of weeds. Looking to crush em. I overseeded my yard over the summer with Bermuda and it's beginning to come in nicely. Granted I overseeded on my St. Augustine. People say it's too time consuming to switch the yard over, but I've been cutting the yard at 1.25 inches now for about 4 months. The st. Augustine is in fact thinning out and dying off as the Bermuda I applied is beginning to take over.

I don't have anything special as far as yard equipment goes. Push mower, weed eater, edger, blower. Just your basic lawn care tools.

And if anyone is wondering, I'm doing better. It's rough, and it sucks, but I have to keep myself together.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Just when you think no one can be a bigger nerd than you....
s14_kev367.00
ItsGary1456.50
Torgus3773.00
shiftdnb376.50
      02-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I'd take yards over 'frags', 'kicks', or 'whombots' any day... although I am not sure what there really is to say aside from landscaping. Then again, living in the midwest we are blessed with the best (soft, green, great aroma) grass there is.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

now...what kind of "grass" are we talking here?
Appreciate 9
      02-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

What the hell is a whombot?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
now...what kind of "grass" are we talking here?
That's easier to maintain than yard grass lol
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
living in the midwest we are blessed with the best (soft, green, great aroma) grass there is.
I remember the sheer PRIDE I saw in the eyes of local farmers as my uncle would drive me around to meet his buddies. There is that one picture of my mom, just outside the milking barn, and you can barely see her head above the "grass"

My dad used to smoke banana peels because he/siblings didn't realize there were fields full of hemp surrendounding him
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I hadn't had long term success with Scott's products.

Had the lawn aerated in late fall and it really softened the turf and probably made the power seeding sprout. This is my source for my zone http://greenfieldsnursery.com

Home Depot just doesn't given me success, maybe milorganite at Lowes or HD, but for fertilizer and grass I use the independent above.

I like a push mower, cutting twice a week in the spring and fall is very therapeutic. I use a blower, but the noise and dust have me testing other methods.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

I'm a huge gardener, just started my seeds. I'll post some pics as the plants grow/produce.

House is on 2.3 acres. Some pine, some hardwood and a lot of shrubs. Ive got a problem with a small area of sunken ground collecting water right now, less a pond and more a swamp at this point. We've tried drains with only temporary luck. Short of dumping some trucks of dirt into it or building it into a full-on water feature I'm not sure what to do with it.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2140.50
      02-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
I'm a huge gardener, just started my seeds. I'll post some pics as the plants grow/produce.

House is on 2.3 acres. Some pine, some hardwood and a lot of shrubs. Ive got a problem with a small area of sunken ground collecting water right now, less a pond and more a swamp at this point. We've tried drains with only temporary luck. Short of dumping some trucks of dirt into it or building it into a full-on water feature I'm not sure what to do with it.
instead of dry wells and catch basins,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.974ce1c3819d
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #11
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I overseeded my crab grass with some drought-tolerant seed last fall, and actually watered it for a few weeks. I also covered it all with top soil and peat. This was just the front.

2 weeks ago, as I saw big storms heading our way, I put an all-purpose AND Ironite over everything. It's mighty green, and all the empty spots are filling in pretty nicely.

Of course, once the rain stops . . .

I have some wonderful couple of rows of leafy greens in my back garden. Green and Purple bok choy, regular and tiger-striped romaine, a stripe of arugula that is SO bitter, and then some red lettuce.

Fruit trees include avocado, orange, lime, plum, peach, guava, and a large pomegranate.

Then all the way in the back I grow my chickens.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Front filling in nicely
Attached Images

02-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Isturbointeg should be here soon...

I'll be putting down some fertilizer and pest control for the lawn along with palm tree and gardenia fertilizer next weekend. I find buying pest control granules and applying it myself works better than having a service do it.
      02-15-2019, 11:31 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Isturbointeg should be here soon...

I'll be putting down some fertilizer and pest control for the lawn along with palm tree and gardenia fertilizer next weekend. I find buying pest control granules and applying it myself works better than having a service do it.
I spit my drink up as I was swiping down and saw my name lol! It's still too freakin' early here for me to think about my lawn since it's 20° and slushy snow/ice on the lawn I did order a gas edger and a battery back pack sprayer for all the Bio Stimulants I'll be putting down this year. Looks like Milo when up $2 in price. I won't be able to put any weed n feed until at least the 1st week of April. I do watch Allyn Hayne "The Lawn Care Nut" during the mean time
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410798.50
      02-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #15
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

The only thing I do that my neighbors don't is set the deck high and keep the blade sharp, once per month. The sharp blade is the key. The gas edger is also a good move, much better than the upside down trimmer.

My problems are rabbits ... and ignorant neighbors / neighbors friends parking their tires on the strip between the sidewalk and road. I spend so much time tending to that strip every spring, and within a few weeks some idiot ruins it. I want to put markers or something there, but at the same time I don't want to be a dick, and at the end of the day it is just grass. But I sat out there and watered it 2x per day for almost 6 weeks and then you just park right over it and kill it. One guy down the road has just said fuck it and filled the strip with lava rocks.

I also watch the LCN on youtube, I'm like 1% as dedicated as he is.

Last edited by B58 parts; 02-16-2019 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410798.50
      02-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
The only thing I do that my neighbors don't is set the deck high and keep the blade sharp, once per month. The sharp blade is the key. The gas edger is also a good move, much better than the upside down trimmer.

My problems are rabbits ... and ignorant neighbors / neighbors friends parking their tires on the strip between the sidewalk and road. I spend so much time tending to that strip every spring, and within a few weeks some idiot ruins it. I want to put markers or something there, but at the same time I don't want to be a dick, and at the end of the day it is just grass. But I sat out there and watered it 2x per day for almost 6 weeks and then you just park right over it and kill it. One guy down the road has just said fuck it and filled the strip with lava rocks.

ugh! same here about the strip by the sidewalk and curb. we have once a year I believe in May but they have the neighborhood garage sales for like 3 days and i probably mentioned it here on a different thread but my lawn literally got destroyed from these A Holes driving up on my lawn when parking. a lot of these people don't live in the neighborhood so they could give two chits! last year i had to put out flags all along the side of the street so it wouldn't happen again and it worked!

i always wondered how the heck do my neighbors get such a straight edge on the sidewalks and realized that there's an edger that does that. so i made it a point to buy one before Springtime. i ended up picking this one up because it had 79cc compared to the 29cc edgers. haven't taken it out of the box yet. having tall fescue i do heed to what Allyn Hayne says and i cut at 4" height and i also keep all 3 blades sharp for clean cuts!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #17
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

I have a lawn service and complain to them several times a year about the mowing height and blade sharpness. They sometimes humor me and get the blade sharpened but never seem to raise the mowing height. I don't think most people have an understanding of how important it is to not shred and scalp the lawn (or simply don't care about it). I have yet to find anyone who does a good job mowing and don't have the time (or inclination in the summer heat) to DIY.

I have seen some people that put small ornamental-ish blocks at the edge of the swale (what we call grass between sidewalk and street here) to prevent / discourage parking on it.
      02-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:

I have a lawn service and complain to them several times a year about the mowing height and blade sharpness. They sometimes humor me and get the blade sharpened but never seem to raise the mowing height. I don't think most people have an understanding of how important it is to not shred and scalp the lawn (or simply don't care about it). I have yet to find anyone who does a good job mowing and don't have the time (or inclination in the summer heat) to DIY.

I have seen some people that put small ornamental-ish blocks at the edge of the swale (what we call grass between sidewalk and street here) to prevent / discourage parking on it.
I use flags around troublesome areas where people like to pull on the grass. but I've made it apparent to everyone around to not park on the grass.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #19
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
ugh! same here about the strip by the sidewalk and curb. we have once a year I believe in May but they have the neighborhood garage sales for like 3 days and i probably mentioned it here on a different thread but my lawn literally got destroyed from these A Holes driving up on my lawn when parking. a lot of these people don't live in the neighborhood so they could give two chits! last year i had to put out flags all along the side of the street so it wouldn't happen again and it worked!
Appreciate 4
RickFLM410798.50
BM235iW97.00
      02-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #20
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

I just use flags honestly. I've seen people use those pyramid stone things in their yard to great affect.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #21
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I cemented over my space next to the road, but more because that ground was SO hard. I dug out 3", used the pitchfork and tiller, back-filled with moss, and finally called a guy to pour his extra concrete waste in the spot.

This past weekend I put 36' of block down along the edge in the back where the wife was just "dumping" her potted plants. Nice clean edge, put weed barrier underneath, cut right tot he edge of the brick. put her planters back then filled with 24 cubic of brown mulch.
Also put 20@ 36" tree rings around trees that only had 18" rings previously. Moved some of those smaller ones to make 1/2 arches against walls for some vines and the olive trees that are just starting out.

I'm glad to be back at work where I can sit down!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #22
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Deep water culture FTW!
Appreciate 0