BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I'm curious if the steering feedback is better on an M Sport model
If not it can t be better than Panamera which is its main rival. We can also consider here Aston Rapide and Maserati Quattroporte.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaliew
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman
i still don't understand the need for this kind of car.

Is BMW trying to compete with the Porsche Panamera?
I don't think so. But I prefer this over the 7 entry model. The 6GC is def worth it
Highly unlikely this car has even 1/2 the dynamics the panamera has. Panamera is a large sports car. Comes with a naturally aspirated engine option and a double clutch transmission . The badge and looks command way more road presence.

I till think the 5 series is a more sensible bet. This money buys a Porsche. Nuff said.

This car competes with the cls and s7. Its more luxury, with a small token dose of sport. It looks nice though with the best interior I have seen at this price point.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #25
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
I'm curious if the steering feedback is better on an M Sport model.
I have an M Sport 650xi coupe, and I highly recommend the M Sport package. I've driven the non-M Sport models, and in Sport mode it drives similar to the M models, but the exhaust note on the M Sport makes for a much better overall experience.

As for steering feedback, I recently learned that xDrive uses hydraulic steering while the RWD version uses electric steering. I have to say that I'm impressed with the steering feedback in my 650xi. It may not be a 911, but it is one more area that BMW defied expectations and physical limitations in such a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #26
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

[QUOTE=Diver]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soomro View Post
Diver.......people who can afford these cars dont park them on street. they have big mensions and they use valet parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
197 inches long, that is one big car, over two feet longer than my 135i. I don't know where you can park that thing on Sicily./QUOTE]

I was just in Sicily. The streets are narrow and driving any car wider than something like a one series is difficult. Actually, the big shots who own large cars have drivers. There isn't much valet parking because there isn't anyplace for the valets to park cars quickly. One can safely say they introduced cars into Italy without a thought as to where they would put them when they were not moving. Driving down the street people will just stop in front of you with no warning to double or triple park while they run an errand.

In a week behind the wheel of a Kia rent-a-wreck I learned to drive like an Italian. That is a scary thing, and I am still getting over it now that I am back in Texas. On the last day when I needed to catch a plane, the Kia would not start. Someone from the hotel had to jump it.
What can you expect? Texas is more than twice the whole Italy with less than half citizens!!! It is only a simple matter of size. Cheers
      05-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #27
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Updated with Press Conference from Our International Press Drive

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #28
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

I really love this car. This is the most beautiful BMW IMO. However, I just don't get why is has such a long overhang?? I have no idea why they did that. Otherwise, this is just a perfect looking car.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
JA///MES
PLZRACE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6
Nobody has mentioned it so I will.......

Thank you so MUCH SOUTHLIGHT for your review.

Many forum moderators never drive the cars they represent but you did and gave honest feedback. Thank you....

That being said there is no denying it is a beauty.........

With too many choices.....

It is more along the lines of a Panamera but..........here is the THING.

When priced against the A7 the 640i with equal options is 20k more. I like the A7- don't love it but 20k more is a big stretch. Only time will tell if pricing the 6GC closer to the Panny will actually work.....

No doubt the 6GC and i8 are so HOT..... but Porsche still maintains more of an of an exclusivity factor.

Ultimately if BMW CAN pull this off then good for them.......

-Bond
BMW lost all exclusivity when they sold out and started putting an M badge on nearly every car they make! So IMO if the M isn't exclusive anymore the GC won't be!!!
2011 E90 JBM ///M3 DCT l Gintani Catless X-Pipe w/ Hybrid Exhaust l Vishnu Procede V5 with Meth l l RE Pulleys l Tecnocraft Envy l Arkym CF Diffuser l CF BMW Spoiler l Arkym CF Front Bumper l GB ///M Badge l GB Side Markers l GB Kidney Grills l PSS 275/255/35/19s l VMR VB3s in Hyper Black l CF Steering Wheel Trim l ///M Pedals l Black Tow Hooks l Eibach Springs l GP Thunder Bulbs l IND Key Hole Cover l BMW PSW l Verstrabe Paddles
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #30
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

great write-up! thx 4 sharin

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #31
Legitimate
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: DEATH TO NlGGERS

lol @ Bimmerpost homepage screenshot showing a faded Mac Quicktime X control overlay

LAZY
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #32
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Southlight - I have a couple of questions:
1) Did the car have the new digital instrument display?
2) Did the HUD have RPMs and Gear selection?
3) Did the car sound sporty?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #33
Holland Harry
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe, Z1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Highly unlikely this car has even 1/2 the dynamics the panamera has. Panamera is a large sports car. Comes with a naturally aspirated engine option and a double clutch transmission . The badge and looks command way more road presence.

I till think the 5 series is a more sensible bet. This money buys a Porsche. Nuff said.

This car competes with the cls and s7. Its more luxury, with a small token dose of sport. It looks nice though with the best interior I have seen at this price point.
The 6 Gran Coupe is a mix between a 6 coupe and a 7 series limousine! So it has nothing to do with a 5 series! It's a 4 doors 6 series for those who can affort a 7 but who are missing that sporty BMW driving experience and want a more exclusive BMW. It directly competes with the Panamera.

I had to choose between a 640d Gran Coupe or a Panamera diesel because I drive 70.000km a year. THe 6 has 313 HP and the Panamera has a Volkswagen diesel with 250 HP. Not to mention the difference in NM!

The only advantage the Panamera has is a bit more feedback on the steering for the rest it can't compete with the 640d Gan Coupe. The Porsche Panamera is also only frontwheel drive so there not much traction either. But who needs traction with a 250 HP diesel.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #34
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Southlight - I have a couple of questions:
1) Did the car have the new digital instrument display?
2) Did the HUD have RPMs and Gear selection?
3) Did the car sound sporty?
1) No, the new digital instrumental display is not (yet) available for the 6 series.

2) HUD shows speed, nav information and a couple of other things. RPMs and gear selection are available for M models only (e.g. M6).

3) The 640i sounds pretty good with the windows rolled down. Inside the car with the windows up it's still audible but muted as you'd expect from a car like the 6 Gran Coupe.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #35
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
1) No, the new digital instrumental display is not (yet) available for the 6 series.

2) HUD shows speed, nav information and a couple of other things. RPMs and gear selection are available for M models only (e.g. M6).

3) The 640i sounds pretty good with the windows rolled down. Inside the car with the windows up it's still audible but muted as you'd expect from a car like the 6 Gran Coupe.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
south
Thanks that helps.

I placed an order for an M5 in September, and was having second thoughts about maybe getting the 650iGC instead. However from what you say, this car will be difficult to drive like a sports car if it is quiet and the HUD doesn't have a tachometer.

I find paddle shifting on my 550i impossible without using the instrument cluster, and since the car is so fast it isn't practical to take your eyes of the road, so basically the paddles are useless in the 550i.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #36
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Apparently, the 650 M sport package exhaust (coupe,convertible & GC) is different from regular 650 Non M sport exhaust and same goes the 550 as well. This may be an article sound enhancement thru the car's speakers but nobody knows.

Here is a sample:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Thanks that helps.

I placed an order for an M5 in September, and was having second thoughts about maybe getting the 650iGC instead. However from what you say, this car will be difficult to drive like a sports car if it is quiet and the HUD doesn't have a tachometer.

I find paddle shifting on my 550i impossible without using the instrument cluster, and since the car is so fast it isn't practical to take your eyes of the road, so basically the paddles are useless in the 550i.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #37
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Apparently, the 650 M sport package exhaust (coupe,convertible & GC) is different from regular 650 Non M sport exhaust and same goes the 550 as well. This may be an article sound enhancement thru the car's speakers but nobody knows.

Here is a sample:
I can't really discern anything from that. Cellphone cameras have an uncanny ability to pickup vast amounts of noise that I can't hear.

My 550i M-Sport sounds nothing like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #38
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

+1. My 550 does not sound like that in the video.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...%3D%3D,00.html

btw, congrats to your M5 ED order. I am currently considering M5 or 650 GC, nothing firmed until I get pricing for the 650 GC in Canada. Also, I was told by dealers in Canada that each dealer will be alloted for only a few for the July production, once they are filled, then it becomes 1st come, 1st served basis.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #39
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post

I don't know how is the Panamera more sporty than the 6GC when the GC has better performance figures compared to the Panamera exluding the Turbo variants. The 640i is faster than the Panamera and Panamera S with the chrono package
Appreciate 0