BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #1
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

PTP S63 turbo blanket?

Has anyone installed these with factory cats/heat shield (or catless DPs)? I'm looking at all options to reduce under hood temps. The PTP blanket was looks like it was designed to fit factory cats, I am assuming it all fits with the factory shields, etc. I still haven't decided on catless DP or not, a bit concerned that if I put the blanket on the cats and then decide later to go with DPs, the blanket is going to be fragile from the heat cycles and I'm not going to be able to remove it and reuse it.

I'm also a bit concerned that the blanket is going to essentially hold the heat between the cats and the top of the block in the back, more so than with the factory shielding. I'm trying to reduce the amount of heat back there... Are DPs my only way to go here? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I have seen the turbo blanket fit, but I don't know how well it works alone. I have always seen the downpipes wrapped individually first, then covered with the blanket. its much harder to wrap them in the car, so I can see the appeal of the turbo blanket. Also I don't believe the blanket covers underneath the downpipes so you will just be holding the heat in the hot V of the engine, not really reducing the temperatures there. I think the turbo blanket is best used to protect painted engine covers.

you could wrap the cats but that might actually wear your cats out. the increase in internal temperature will become much higher when wrapping the cats, and that could blow them out under certain circumstances. typically downpipes reduce the temps since there is nothing the temperature can latch onto, such as the ceramic monolith.

wrapping a set of downpipes outside the car is very easy though. I have a set of XS-Power downpipes I got for cheap on amazon, that fit perfectly and wrapped in DEI 2" exhaust wrap.
      10-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Hmm, maybe individual turbo blankets and then wrapped down pipes is the best route for reduced temps. Does anyone know which size/style turbo blanket would be correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
has anyone installed these with factory cats/heat shield (or catless dps)? I'm looking at all options to reduce under hood temps. The ptp blanket was looks like it was designed to fit factory cats, i am assuming it all fits with the factory shields, etc. I still haven't decided on catless dp or not, a bit concerned that if i put the blanket on the cats and then decide later to go with dps, the blanket is going to be fragile from the heat cycles and i'm not going to be able to remove it and reuse it.

I'm also a bit concerned that the blanket is going to essentially hold the heat between the cats and the top of the block in the back, more so than with the factory shielding. I'm trying to reduce the amount of heat back there... Are dps my only way to go here? Thanks
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  332.8 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  331.5 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  285.2 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  297.7 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  336.8 KB
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  292.4 KB

I put it on top of the heatshield & I am running DP's. Aftermarket DPs won't hold as much heat as the OEM due to less restriction in exhaust gas flow.

I am using the XS-Power too

Last edited by M6Roar; 10-14-2020 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

From what I understand the turbo blanket is supposed to keep heat in on the hot side of the turbo keeping it hot makes it more efficient
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:43 AM   #6
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
From what I understand the turbo blanket is supposed to keep heat in on the hot side of the turbo keeping it hot makes it more efficient
Agreed, but my concern with the blanket is it just sits on top of the turbos/cats, so the heat is still radiating down into the block/heads.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 04:12 AM   #7
m6vdm
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
Agreed, but my concern with the blanket is it just sits on top of the turbos/cats, so the heat is still radiating down into the block/heads.
Hi Patchejs, Good question. You would have to ask directly at PTP. Maybe they can say that.

I have the PTP blankets too. PTP told me that it would be better to install without an OEM heatshield
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 12:35 AM   #8
eidde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m6

Im on the fence and Patches brings up my concern. Any other discussion on this ?

Right now I have catless downpipes wrapped. Would i be just causing an issue or setting money on fire ?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 06:02 AM   #9
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

So I did talk with PTP, and the blankets are as they appear. You are essentially insulating the cats and holding heat on the top of the heads/block. Exact opposite of what I wanted to do. So I decided to go catless downpipes and they are being coated right now with white lightning from swain tech coatings. I was actually contemplating pulling the turbos and the primary exhaust headers to coat them too, but at the end of the day I think the main heat sources up there are the cats. I'm going to see if I can at least get some wrap around those primary tubes but it looks pretty tight and might not be worth the time.
Appreciate 1