BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-30-2020, 08:26 PM   #23
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
in sport+ your water pumps are on constantly and drop your water temps to the 180-190F zone under normal driving, under heavier load i have seen it approach 210F but doesnt really go past it too much.

In efficient and Sport the water pumps turn on and off when needed same thing with electric fans. the normal temps are in the 230F range, well over boiling point of water. the coolant increases the boiling point but that just seems too hot to me.
Awesome info, thanks! I'll be posting up my lab analysis soon, just waiting on Blackstone and my Indy shop mechanic to reach out to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:21 PM   #24
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

this thread is giving me a lot to think about. I'm on a 5k OCI, started with OEM 5-30, then to 0-30 as 5-30 was discontinued, and my Blackstone basically looks like this all the OEM oil reports posted here.

I'm debating if I want to move on to Molygen 5-40. Can anyone confirm this is the oil being used by people here? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/5w4...i-moly-lm20232

Anyways, my driving style has changed significantly. Car no longer is DD and when it comes out, it is driven hard, after oil temps are up to 220 of course. I see the shear on the 5-40 and 5-30 Liqui Moly is certainly better, but ultimately, I'm leaning to sticking with OEM 0-30 for the cold flow properties as 0-30 SUS still shears down to a 30 weight oil, albeit barely, but the cST is at 9.5 which is great for a lot of the around the town, short distance low throttle driving.

Report also shows minimum metals, no fuel in oil, plenty of moly.

Any thoughts?
      09-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #25
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
I will drop my my oil reports here as well. here is my google doc i made of all of my blackstone reports so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

this should be a really good oil comparison thread with some good forth coming information and data
so I see that 5-40 shears down to a 30 weight oil at all temps. What do you think regarding cold flow properties?

What do you think of your moly reading? All the OEM 0-30 reports show double the count of moly in the oil than Liqui Moly 5-40.
      09-13-2020, 01:40 AM   #26
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

I'm attaching my Blackstone report. I'm somewhat flattered by the "spectacular" verbiage used by them. My car is fairly modified and even though I don't track the car, it is seeing redline routinely. I am pleased that the S63TU is holding up without a hiccup and I'm also very pleased with the results of the Special Tec 5W/30. It's been a great oil for the last 10,000 miles on this car.

I've reached out to Liqui Moly and they were interested in having someone discuss their oils a bit more on the forums but I'm not sure that would be allowed here given they aren't a sponsor. Thought it would be helpful for us here, especially those of us really looking for long term guidance on how to keep these engines happy. I know my M6 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

-m
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Blackstone 35k August 2020.pdf (17.4 KB, 195 views)
1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      09-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #27
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

I jut ordered another batch of 5W40 LiquiMoly Molygen it will be my 3rd oil change with it ,I also have an oil analysis kit I will send in /the only downside is my oil only has around 2K miles on it ,I dont go over that, we can see what the difference is with an earlier change vs a 5k change,
The oil has been great so far I dont have to add any oil for the 2k intervals, I only install the 9 liters it calls for, Im running a DME stage 3 tune with burbles ,im actually curious to see if there is any excessive fuel in the oil due to the tune, but so far everything is great , I nicknamed the oil Predators blood!
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #28
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
so I see that 5-40 shears down to a 30 weight oil at all temps. What do you think regarding cold flow properties?

What do you think of your moly reading? All the OEM 0-30 reports show double the count of moly in the oil than Liqui Moly 5-40.
with the oils both being a 5W rated oil i would say they have very similar cold flow properties. I would say the 30 will have better cold flow as it has less friction modifiers in it than a 40 weight. I don't really drive my car in cold climates though under freezing, I get close to it about 40F, but never really drive below freezing and if I do, I have the car parked in a garage to keep it around 40F anyways.

The purpose of molybdenum is to provide a dry friction material, and its counted as a wear agent. the reason i see the moly oil having less of it in the oil that is drained is because the moly is actually micro polishing the metals. that is both good and bad. you want the metal to be rough enough for oil to stick and grab on, while being still smooth for low friction. its bad for moly to over micro polish because then the oil never actually grabs the metal and its is just the molybdenum finish that is the lubricant.

Seeing the lower levels of molybdenum would indicate to me there is low cold start wear occurring since molybdenum is typically worn in the cold start segment of oil lubrication. I am no expert in this stuff, but that is what i have come across in my research thus far.
      10-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #29
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

ok guys here is the latest update

short answer change over to redline 5W-50!

Long answer: check the report and google doc for results and comparisons

Attached Images

10-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #30
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ok guys here is the latest update

short answer change over to redline 5W-50!

Long answer: check the report and google doc for results and comparisons

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the reports, Looks like im going to use Redline 5W50 now I have been patiently waiting for your report ,
I just changed my oil but its ok I like doing it LOL ,I also just sent in my oil to see how my engine is doing im using Liquimoly Molygen 5w40 .To me it sounds like Blackstone was favoring the Redline due to some of those higher numbers of those specific additives
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:45 PM   #31
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Awesome! Thanks for sharing the reports, Looks like im going to use Redline 5W50 now I have been patiently waiting for your report ,
I just changed my oil but its ok I like doing it LOL ,I also just sent in my oil to see how my engine is doing im using Liquimoly Molygen 5w40 .To me it sounds like Blackstone was favoring the Redline due to some of those higher numbers of those specific additives
It actually looks like there is more moly in redline than liqui moly. and it also looks like it holds up really well under the pressure the engine puts on the bearings. i was always afraid of lead and copper wear, but it looks better seeing none in a report. My car is daily driven with a few pulls here and there but after seeing this i will try to abuse the oil more. good to see it did well after all the speculation. we can finally start to see what is going on
      10-09-2020, 12:10 AM   #32
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Very interesting results for sure. Curious if you have noticed any difference in oil consumption with 5-50?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #33
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
Very interesting results for sure. Curious if you have noticed any difference in oil consumption with 5-50?
Interesting you mention that. I put 9 bottles of redline in when i changed the oil. That brought my oil level to about half way on the electronic dipstick. I ran it for the 3500 miles or so and re measured prior to the oil change and it was in the same exact spot. if it moved down a little it was undetectable. i had not added any oil and it looks like it did not consume any oil at all.

I put the same amount of oil in on the oil change and again right in the middle. but 9.5 bottles of the redline should bring it to max on the electronic dipstick.

side note doing a liqui moly molygen 5w-40 oil change on a friends M5 putting in 9.5 bottles brought him to max as well. He will be changing over to redline i think in the future as his car consumes a quart every 800 miles. car is driven pretty hard but still i find that 800 miles is a bit excessive in consumption.
      10-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #34
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting you mention that. I put 9 bottles of redline in when i changed the oil. That brought my oil level to about half way on the electronic dipstick. I ran it for the 3500 miles or so and re measured prior to the oil change and it was in the same exact spot. if it moved down a little it was undetectable. i had not added any oil and it looks like it did not consume any oil at all.

I put the same amount of oil in on the oil change and again right in the middle. but 9.5 bottles of the redline should bring it to max on the electronic dipstick.

side note doing a liqui moly molygen 5w-40 oil change on a friends M5 putting in 9.5 bottles brought him to max as well. He will be changing over to redline i think in the future as his car consumes a quart every 800 miles. car is driven pretty hard but still i find that 800 miles is a bit excessive in consumption.
Have your friend change his PVC valves this might help with his oil consumption,
I believe Liquimoly is distributed in liters, and Redline is in quarts
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #35
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Quote:

Have your friend change his PVC valves this might help with his oil consumption,
I believe Liquimoly is distributed in liters, and Redline is in quarts
Im actually his mechanic. Both his car and my car i replaced the pcv tubes with the updated version. I also think you are right with the quarts and liters.

I am unsure what is wrong with his car that it eats oil so badly. The only things i can think of are valve seals, turbos, or the rings sadly. Car still stock and it doesnt smoke either.
      10-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #36
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Im actually his mechanic. Both his car and my car i replaced the pcv tubes with the updated version.
updated version? do you have part numbers? Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #37
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
updated version? do you have part numbers? Thanks..
These are off fcpeuro.com The only difference is the upper connector to the air box channel. instead of 4 finger tabs it has a circular connector you press together to release. and i believe the inner vent seal a little better than the earlier style ones.

BMW Vent Hose (Cylinders 1-4) - Genuine BMW 11157843150
BMW Vent Hose (Cylinders 5-8) - Genuine BMW 11157843151
      04-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #38
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Finally did an analysis with Blackstone on my car and got the results back, posting up here for an additional data point on the LiquiMoly 5W-40 Molygen oil. Very pleased with the lack of metals found and the elevated Molybdenum anti-wear content still present in the oil

04-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #39
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

looks pretty good, try stepping up to a 50 weight oil and the thinning oil at higher temps should be alleviated. I saw that in my past runs the oil does thin out at high temps in these engines and so far, only having 1 report on redline 5w-50, I have seen my viscosity come into proper spec and not thinning out at temp
      04-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #40
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
looks pretty good, try stepping up to a 50 weight oil and the thinning oil at higher temps should be alleviated. I saw that in my past runs the oil does thin out at high temps in these engines and so far, only having 1 report on redline 5w-50, I have seen my viscosity come into proper spec and not thinning out at temp
Thanks for the recommendation -- I recall seeing your report and everything looking really strong. IIRC your intervals are around ~3k miles for your oil changes -- do you ever stretch up to 5k? I would be curious to see how the Redline 50 holds up at a 5k interval. I drive a lot so doing them every 3k would almost be a bit of a nuisance
      05-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #41
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't stretch that often now to 5k, but next change I was thinking of going a little longer on the interval maybe 4500 or so. I think the redline so far is my favorite.
      05-05-2021, 08:27 AM   #42
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't stretch that often now to 5k, but next change I was thinking of going a little longer on the interval maybe 4500 or so. I think the redline so far is my favorite.
Got it -- I think my interval was around 4600 miles for my report so I would be very interested to see yours at 4500. Keep me posted. I know it's not necessarily apples to apples as IIRC you're somewhat heavily tuned, but if anything I would think that the oil in your car would get more beat up than a stock car all other things held constant. If it performs well in that use case, probably safe to assume it would also perform well in a stock, unmodified car
      05-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #43
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Got it -- I think my interval was around 4600 miles for my report so I would be very interested to see yours at 4500. Keep me posted. I know it's not necessarily apples to apples as IIRC you're somewhat heavily tuned, but if anything I would think that the oil in your car would get more beat up than a stock car all other things held constant. If it performs well in that use case, probably safe to assume it would also perform well in a stock, unmodified car
Ill keep you updated, next change I will run a sample again, and post the results.

I would agree that if this oil can withstand the nature of the car under heavier load from having a more aggressive tune over stock, I'd rule that the 5W-50 would be good for unmodified as well.

It is well known that these engines run rather hot, and the key to longevity is maintaining a cool temperature. I do notice that the oil takes longer to warm up and retains more heat, but the other side is that the oil does not thin out once it reaches its normal hot state.
      05-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #44
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ill keep you updated, next change I will run a sample again, and post the results.

I would agree that if this oil can withstand the nature of the car under heavier load from having a more aggressive tune over stock, I'd rule that the 5W-50 would be good for unmodified as well.

It is well known that these engines run rather hot, and the key to longevity is maintaining a cool temperature. I do notice that the oil takes longer to warm up and retains more heat, but the other side is that the oil does not thin out once it reaches its normal hot state.
In sport plus drivetrain mode, what do your temps usually look like with the 5W-50? With the Liqui-Moly Molygen 5W-40, temps stay around 195 +/- 5 degrees, which I have been pretty happy with as far as thermal management is concerned