03-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #1
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: RHD X3 M40i + LHD Brabus B63S

New M6 owner in UK

Hi everyone,

I've been running a Mercedes E400 coupe for the past 4 years and fancied a change. Nothing wrong with the E400. It's good competent car but just not very exciting.

I looked at various AMG, BMW M and audi RS models and settled on a low mileage 2016 LCI M6 coupe with competition pack. I've liked the look of the F13 M6 ever since it arrived on the scene in 2013 and always thought to own one one day.

The car is in San Marino blue with Silverstone interior, has B&O sound, CC brakes plus a whole host of other options. I've only just got the car and hardly used it but I think we'll get along just fine

I don't plan to change anything except possibly to add a CF diffuser. Any suggestions for an aftermarket diffuser will be welcomed. Not sure it's worth the cost of OEM.

Sorry for the rather poor quality pic from the BMW supplier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Beautiful
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglaslt View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been running a Mercedes E400 coupe for the past 4 years and fancied a change. Nothing wrong with the E400. It's good competent car but just not very exciting.

I looked at various AMG, BMW M and audi RS models and settled on a low mileage 2016 LCI M6 coupe with competition pack. I've liked the look of the F13 M6 ever since it arrived on the scene in 2013 and always thought to own one one day.

The car is in San Marino blue with Silverstone interior, has B&O sound, CC brakes plus a whole host of other options. I've only just got the car and hardly used it but I think we'll get along just fine

I don't plan to change anything except possibly to add a CF diffuser. Any suggestions for an aftermarket diffuser will be welcomed. Not sure it's worth the cost of OEM.

Sorry for the rather poor quality pic from the BMW supplier.
Congratulations! And welcome to the M6 SMB club - you selected the best colour!

If anything, get wheel alignment checked/corrected by someone who knows what they are doing (read: not dealer setting it to factory recommended settings)... Changes the way the car drives, factory settings make it numb...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 11:43 PM   #4
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Congratulations! And welcome to the M6 SMB club - you selected the best colour!

If anything, get wheel alignment checked/corrected by someone who knows what they are doing (read: not dealer setting it to factory recommended settings)... Changes the way the car drives, factory settings make it numb...
Thanks for your comments and advice. Much appreciated

Do you know what the optimum settings are?

Last edited by anglaslt; 03-09-2019 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Beautiful
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:42 AM   #6
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglaslt View Post
Thanks for your comments and advice. Much appreciated

Do you know what the optimum settings are?
Unfortunately not, but it also depends on your preferences - if the alignment technician doesn’t know anything else except factory recommended values, run away... My mechanic (in Melbourne, sorry, not much help to you) usually takes the car for a short drive to feel the balance. From what I remember, I think he said rear wheels are usually more critical in these cars, but they are more difficult to get to, hence most people never touch them, just focus on the front...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:43 AM   #7
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Unfortunately not, but it also depends on your preferences - if the alignment technician doesn’t know anything else except factory recommended values, run away... My mechanic (in Melbourne, sorry, not much help to you) usually takes the car for a short drive to feel the balance. From what I remember, I think he said rear wheels are usually more critical in these cars, but they are more difficult to get to, hence most people never touch them, just focus on the front...
OK, I understand. I've read that some experience excessive inner rear tyre wear so your local guy may well be right. I'm not sure anyone found a solution though.

I'll see what expertise is available locally, excluding my BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0