BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-29-2020, 10:27 PM   #23
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airz View Post
I have to say that reading this thread makes me think CCBs are more trouble than they're worth unless you plan on doing a lot of fast track driving.
The standard brakes are pretty good and upgraded fluid and pads would be enough for most people for the odd track day.
Absolutely not , I would never trade my CCBs for steel , The wheels stay clean , literally no dust ,the braking is awesome with no swerve at hard braking , there is no corrosion or rusting , You don’t have to change pads if you go on the track , they don’t warp, there much lighter unsprung weight , The discs last the life of the car , especially the way I’m using them , If you track them they will last 4 to 5 times longer than steel , so you will put 4 to 5 sets of rotors before 1 set of CCBs , So your looking at least 10k to 12k in steel Plus labor 5 times , without all the benefits of CCBs
That’s why all the super cars have them
This discussion is a learning curve for me because everyone I ask who has CCBs never changed there original pads yet , I never did either , I actually think I will go to a BMW service and see what they say about my current pad life , I will have them do it when they do the 3rd brake light
Appreciate 1
MetZF8263.50
      06-01-2020, 08:39 AM   #24
Airz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Sakhir Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Absolutely not , I would never trade my CCBs for steel , The wheels stay clean , literally no dust ,the braking is awesome with no swerve at hard braking , there is no corrosion or rusting , You don’t have to change pads if you go on the track , they don’t warp, there much lighter unsprung weight , The discs last the life of the car , especially the way I’m using them , If you track them they will last 4 to 5 times longer than steel , so you will put 4 to 5 sets of rotors before 1 set of CCBs , So your looking at least 10k to 12k in steel Plus labor 5 times , without all the benefits of CCBs
That’s why all the super cars have them
This discussion is a learning curve for me because everyone I ask who has CCBs never changed there original pads yet , I never did either , I actually think I will go to a BMW service and see what they say about my current pad life , I will have them do it when they do the 3rd brake light
I think the thing that surprised me was that you said you had 35k and it needed new pads. I thought they lasted much longer than that?

Thanks everyone else for clarification. I'd assumed high performance CCBs would be required for fast driving rather than normal road driving given that they come on very high performance cars and for me the biggest selling point would be consistent brake feel/power in all situations whether that's normal road driving or the odd track day.
Brake dust and rusting has never bothered me as the car gets cleaned regularly anyway but can see why people would like to avoid that.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #25
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airz View Post
I think the thing that surprised me was that you said you had 35k and it needed new pads. I thought they lasted much longer than that?

Thanks everyone else for clarification. I'd assumed high performance CCBs would be required for fast driving rather than normal road driving given that they come on very high performance cars and for me the biggest selling point would be consistent brake feel/power in all situations whether that's normal road driving or the odd track day.
Brake dust and rusting has never bothered me as the car gets cleaned regularly anyway but can see why people would like to avoid that.
I never had CCBs before,The pads are one thing the rotors are the life of the car but then again the pad wear might be much slower wear also ,I have 35k on car and the front pads are still 1/2'' thick and 3/8 think in the rear,I have changed pads before on other cars and they were that thick brand new out of the box lol,When I first got my car my computer said check front pads in 48000 miles and 36000 in the rear, that milage is much lower now but I only put 5k miles since in 1-1/2 years so even though the car sits the pad wear drops.Its confusing me because I have so called professionals that never even inspected my pads tell me I need them

Im not changing them just yet im going to bring my car in for service to fix the tsb for the third brake light, and have them inspect the brake pads, they will adjust my service for my pads accordingly, now I inspected and measured them myself I will see how they wear over time using the miles BMW adds to the service interval,Im sure they have a chart on pad thickness to determine how many more miles to recode, If I had to guess by how far those wear sensors are still from the rotor I have years left of pad we will soon find out
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:33 PM   #26
lawyerfees
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Where did you buy the rear pads from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Ok guys so I pulled all my wheels to check my pad conditions ,all pads are wearing evenly they all seem identical ,these are the original pads with 35k on them ,my fronts are still 1/2inch thick(12.7mm) from the pad backing plate to the rotor, and my rears are 3/8ths of an inch thick(9.525mm) ,the rears are closer to worn than the fronts.

All my Rotor wear indicators are still solid and round so im not to worried about the condition of the rotors.

You will see in the pics the distance between the pad wear sensor and the rotor ,I believe im still in a safe zone for some time.

I made the final decision upon the info you guys gave me and the cost of rotor replacement to just go ahead and change the pads,I think thats the smartest thing to do.

Im was also contemplating to do the job myself,but im gonna let my indy shop just take care of it as they do them all the time,I have done tons of steel brake setups before and I know its the same concept but I dont want to miss anything and gouge a rotor ,as they say penny wise dollar foolish

Let me know what you guys think of the pics ,would you change them yet?

Thanks again for the help!!!!
My rear pads need to be changed soon on my carbon ceramic brakes. Where did you get your rear brake pads?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #27
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerfees View Post
My rear pads need to be changed soon on my carbon ceramic brakes. Where did you get your rear brake pads?
You can only buy OEM pads I believe. Try ECS o Turner Motorsports
      07-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #28
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerfees View Post
I never changed them yet LOL ,but getBMWparts had everything needed its close to 1k for everything
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1