BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Why do I have to clean my wheels twice.

What is with the rotors on the M6? It seems every time I wash the car, the rotors develop this rust like resin on them. As soon as I go for a drive it burns off from braking and my spotless wheels now have a brown dust coating all over them.

It drives me nuts. Im tempted to cover each rotor in the garbage bag prior to washing just to prevent this.

Is this happening to anyone else?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Yes, this probably happens to all of us who have steel rotors, just some people have more tolerance to dust on their wheels 😇

Try driving hundred meters/yards immediately after you finish washing, before drying, and braking firmly every now and then. This wipes most of the moisture off the rotors reducing the rust like residue that then comes off when you start using the brakes after wash. Doesn’t eliminate the problem, but reduces the brown dust after first drive quite significantly.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Use this Bmwtechgeek Hyde's Serum Rustopper, best used on the rotors immediately prior to foaming the whole car; and/or during your wheel cleaning process. In reality you can't really run away from the rust in higher humidity environments after you've washed the car. But this Hyde's stuff is good!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback all. I think I'm going to try wrapping them in garbage bags prior to washing the car. This way no water touches them.

I have bad OCD for clean wheels so cleaning them twice is becoming a pain.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Use this Bmwtechgeek Hyde's Serum Rustopper, best used on the rotors immediately prior to foaming the whole car; and/or during your wheel cleaning process. In reality you can't really run away from the rust in higher humidity environments after you've washed the car. But this Hyde's stuff is good!
Ill look into this stuff. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtechgeek View Post
Thanks for the feedback all. I think I'm going to try wrapping them in garbage bags prior to washing the car. This way no water touches them.

I think that’s making more work for yourself. Like someone mentioned above, just drive back and forth maybe 4-5x after you clean them. Then take a microfiber towel and have it wet with water/some sort of spray wax and then wipe them off.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #7
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Quote:

I think that's making more work for yourself. Like someone mentioned above, just drive back and forth maybe 4-5x after you clean them. Then take a microfiber towel and have it wet with water/some sort of spray wax and then wipe them off.
This works very well. This drives me nuts but i take a quick lap around the block im in much better shape.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #8
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

I pretty much do exactly what MelbourneFinn said, I clean the wheels, go for a bit of a drive, then clean again.

But then equally I drive my car like this so perhaps don't listen to me too much 325/30r20 Sport Cup 2 tyres don't work on gravel - this road was about 15km of gravel plus this ford At about 100mph you feel like you're floating. But it was fun to drive through a river!
Attached Images

05-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Quote:

I think that’s making more work for yourself. Like someone mentioned above, just drive back and forth maybe 4-5x after you clean them. Then take a microfiber towel and have it wet with water/some sort of spray wax and then wipe them off.
Yes I've been doing that but this means I'm washing them twice. I'm going the garbage bag route next wash. I'll let you know the results. Doesn't take long to wrap 4 rotors.

Damm my OCD.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #10
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC MT

Quote:
Yes I've been doing that but this means I'm washing them twice. I'm going the garbage bag route next wash. I'll let you know the results. Doesn't take long to wrap 4 rotors.

Damm my OCD.
Are you really comfortable with your M6 in four trash bags? You need the carbon ceramics!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:24 AM   #11
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
Quote:

Damm my OCD.
Are you really comfortable with your M6 in four trash bags? You need the carbon ceramics!
Just while washing. Then remove when I'm done. In other news, I own 2 other BMW's which have standard brakes.

Why is it when I wash them this doesn't happen?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
Quote:

Damm my OCD.
Just while washing. Then remove when I'm done. In other news, I own 2 other BMW's which have standard brakes.

Why is it when I wash them this doesn't happen?
Are they Ms? This caliber of brake and the performance always had this issue.
Appreciate 0