BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #45
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Know a niche when I see one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post

You're dreaming. First of all, the 5GT is not the original SAV, obviously. I'm not clear on why you said this without irony, when the term was invented by BMW for the dubious purpose of not calling the X5 an SUV. Secondly, the 5GT.. well, I don't have to tell, you history will write the story on it. Suffice it to say, it's years older than the F10, and you're still waiting for the world to "come around" ... keep waiting.

The funny thing about the 5GT is that it is quickly amassing a bit of a cult following among its owners. Pretty clearly we are the kind of people who don't need to be told what is cool, whats in, what's to be liked or what sets a new benchmark. We don't need the reassurance of a large fan base telling us we made the right call.

We drive the car, we are surprised that it delivers better riding dynamics than an SUV could ever deliver but gives sedan-like space and luxury. Some of us like the X6 but couldnt be seen in one, yes we trade off some of the driving dynamics but then, i dont drive like that everyday and frankly, have not missed it one bit.

So all-in-all we are very happy to make our own way and vote with our money. I live in a small town in Warwickshire, U.K. with a population of 15,000 (and we have 6 GTs!). Speaking to my dealer principal a few weeks ago, he said the 5GT has been very profitable for BMW in Asia, parts of Europe - especially in the Nordics - and lessons are being transplanted into the more volume GTs coming down the road: the 1GT and 3GT.

Now BMW NA made a catastrophic error of judgement when it thought the 5GT would or could ever replace the [mainstream] wagon/ touring model. The 5GT is a niche model, never going to appeal widely or sell in great numbers, and in a sense, established a beachhead for a new platform. I actually think, and I am happy to be proved wrong, that the 1GT and 3GT will be very successful interpretations of this platform [a] because they will be more practical [b] because they will have more sporty orientation and [c] because, for a lot of people across the world, North American taste in cars does not dictate what we buy.

I guess I am saying the 5-GT meets the brief for a small cross section of BMW drivers who dont want an SUV, need more space, luxury and versatility than a standard sedan, and are happy to trade off some driving dynamics for more functionality. I kidn off like that every other BMW i pass is not a company fleet car 520d / 320d in Space Grey / SIlver / Black Sapphire.

To each his own, soldier.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #46
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
It's useless without roof rails!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #47
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

I think I died a little inside after seeing these renders.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #48
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyGeeGee
I think I died a little inside after seeing these renders.
lol. I feel the same way.
Appreciate 0