BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-10-2023, 04:10 PM   #1
risef
Rep
Drives: bmw 640d GC

How to Remove f06 Fender?

Hi,

I need to change the drivers side fender and was thinking i might give it a go myself. I have the replacement fender ready but not sure how to remove the old one.

Anyone know what is the best way to do this and do i need to remove the sideskirt? Are there any screws/rivets i need to remove from inside the door frame?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 07:11 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

It's a pain, but I would do it myself. I just looked at the instructions - I don't know how to cut and paste them, but QSilver might respond. But you have to remove the door sill, the rocker panel (side skirt), the side marker, the wheel well liner, the various black plastic trim panels under the hood, and the front bumper. Then you can remove the bolts that hold on the fender.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 08:25 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you are asking the forum for something as detailed as fender removal…then remember to leave enough detail for anyone attempting to supply what they can.

For example the only vehicle info we have is that the OP has a 640d GC. Fender removal has some slight differences based on build date (pre-LCI or LCI) due to the turn indicator location or if the car has park assist sensors in the fender location.

Below is a basic removal of the left fender, the right side would be equivalent…and since there was no build date/model year given…i selected pre-LCI. Again you can see that there is preliminary removal of some items…but if the instructions too remove the fender is doable for the OP…the preliminary stuff should be easy to figure out.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 04:49 AM   #4
risef
Rep

Thanks.

I have a 2015. UK car. No park assist.

I can see on the inside of the door frame there is a foam lining and underneath are some screws which seem a hard to get too, especially the lower one. This i am finding hard to reach and also would there be a need remove the sideskirt or can i access the necessary screws once i remove the wheel arch liner?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you are asking the forum for something as detailed as fender removal…then remember to leave enough detail for anyone attempting to supply what they can.

For example the only vehicle info we have is that the OP has a 640d GC. Fender removal has some slight differences based on build date (pre-LCI or LCI) due to the turn indicator location or if the car has park assist sensors in the fender location.

Below is a basic removal of the left fender, the right side would be equivalent…and since there was no build date/model year given…i selected pre-LCI. Again you can see that there is preliminary removal of some items…but if the instructions too remove the fender is doable for the OP…the preliminary stuff should be easy to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 07:26 AM   #5
risef
Rep

To remove the side skirt, i need to remove the door sill? Do i need to undo any screws from under the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 09:24 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here's the info from the all of the PRELIMINARY TASKS links...none of them show removing anything from underneath the car except for the two bolts already mentioned (see the pic below that's also above)...unless you're referring to the wheel arch stuff. There's nothing about removing anything from the side skirts.

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 10:33 PM   #7
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Quote:
Here's the info from the all of the PRELIMINARY TASKS links...none of them show removing anything from underneath the car except for the two bolts already mentioned (see the pic below that's also above)...unless you're referring to the wheel arch stuff. There's nothing about removing anything from the side skirts.
QSilver, Jefe (if you will),
Can’t imagine where you find the time, but we all thank you. My back pocket is overflowing with “save this” bits.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 09:10 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:45 PM   #9
risef
Rep

Thanks for that much appreciated.

So i had a bit of time today and thought i would give it a go. I removed the door sill and there is nothing there to remove and take off the side skirt.

I have a GC so maybe that could be why it is different.

Any idea on how i remove the side skirt? Under the car i can see these clips:https://vehicleclips.co.uk/collectio...g-rocker-cover.

I cannot see anything on the side.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:53 PM   #10
risef
Rep

Also it is M sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 10:58 AM   #11
risef
Rep

So do i just pull the side skirt off as it is held with clips on the side?
Appreciate 0