BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-02-2020, 09:43 PM   #67
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
The injectors can stick open. Dumping furl into the cylinder and it passes the rings. It then thins the oil and increases wear. It would be best to change all of them since they are there. Very hard to find which one is leaky. This is a common problem on the F chassis cars
Thanks, that makes sense. A bit surprising, though, as the car only has less than 15k kms (under 10k miles) on it...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #68
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Thanks, that makes sense. A bit surprising, though, as the car only has less than 15k kms (under 10k miles) on it...
I am no expert by any means. But i think the reason why they feel is due to heat/duty cycle. When you go tuned you increase the duty cycle and it wears out faster. That really only happens though when pushing the car. But anyways the more prevalent for all models is the heat factor. Its best to leave the car in sport+ all the time to keep the engine cooler. The higher temps, especially in the back of the engine are noticeably hotter than the front ones. If you can pull the heat away by wrapping exhaust parts or high temp coat them it would help with the wear. That is how i understand it at least. That doesnt mean that the front ones wont fail. But the probability is the rears first.

There is about a 50F difference in water temp from eco to sport+ for cooling. And a 25-30F difference in oil temp between the two modes. All from increased coolant pump flow of always on to pulsed on/off.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #69
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
I am no expert by any means. But i think the reason why they feel is due to heat/duty cycle. When you go tuned you increase the duty cycle and it wears out faster. That really only happens though when pushing the car. But anyways the more prevalent for all models is the heat factor. Its best to leave the car in sport+ all the time to keep the engine cooler. The higher temps, especially in the back of the engine are noticeably hotter than the front ones. If you can pull the heat away by wrapping exhaust parts or high temp coat them it would help with the wear. That is how i understand it at least. That doesnt mean that the front ones wont fail. But the probability is the rears first.

There is about a 50F difference in water temp from eco to sport+ for cooling. And a 25-30F difference in oil temp between the two modes. All from increased coolant pump flow of always on to pulsed on/off.
I was unaware of the extra cooling in Sport+ mode, but it makes sense now that you mentioned it. Good info.
Appreciate 0