BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-23-2019, 05:43 AM   #1
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Feedback on Ceramic coating

I am ready to replace my PPF and will be doing paint correction and ceramic coating. I have a few questions that I would appreciate feedback.
1. Should I go with 2 year or 5 year since it is a weekend car and stays in a heater garage?
2. Is it worth doing the wheels too?
3. Are you happy with doing it.
4. What is a reasonable cost for paint correction with the 5 year ceramic coating?
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

In a similar situation myself (and located near to you) and have just started doing research on: paint correction, ceramic coating, PPF. I've gotten a couple of quote so far from local detail shops which I'll post up. Let us know what you find too!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes, that would be great, I have converged to a detailer that my nephew used for a few years with great results in the National Harbor area. I am thinking of doing the full car and wheels paint correction and 5 year ceramic coating and the PPF on top of it since I am planning on keeping my car for a while. I will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

You mentioned you're replacing the PPF - which brand/warranty did you get originally and are now replacing?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM6 View Post
I am ready to replace my PPF and will be doing paint correction and ceramic coating. I have a few questions that I would appreciate feedback.
1. Should I go with 2 year or 5 year since it is a weekend car and stays in a heater garage?
4. What is a reasonable cost for paint correction with the 5 year ceramic coating?
Thanks
Not sure I could justify ceramic coating in a car that is kept not exposed to elements and only used infrequently. I was contemplating on this some time ago for my F06, but since the annual mileage has gone down way below 5k (miles), didn’t see the point of paying for it. Paint correction is a good idea every now and then, but good maintenance with a couple of layers of Collonite every 3 months seemed the better option. Also, that provides a good opportunity to “inspect” the paint regularly for stone chips etc - note, ceramic coating provides no paint chip protection.

From what you have said, I’d just do paint correction and wax (2 layers)...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #6
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you, I had SunTek PPF and bubbled up in a few spots and the manufacturer said they would replace it. It had 5 years warranty. I agree with the comment about the exposure to the elements but that would mean that it would last much longer.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #7
Friscom6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m6

I own few car and they all have ceramic on them after using different products my personal favorite is Cquartz uk by far, I did my viper over 7 years ago and still looks fantastic. Also is an anti static so dust is not a problem and it makes washing the car a breeze. You can re apply the product so if you start getting few swirls they will go away with another Coting. On the wheels is worth it brake dust will be so much easier to clean. Not all ceramics are the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:47 PM   #8
Friscom6
Private
United_States
Rep

Here's a pic I just took of the viper after 7 years with CQ uk, enlarge the pic to see it
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TomM673.00
      11-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Thanks
Hi Tom, I weighed up the same points prior to getting this done to my 650. All I can say is I felt it was completely worth it. I had a buff and paint correction prior to ceramic coat. This was due to some marks on the clear coat that needed a proper buff to remove. I also had my alloys ceramic coated as well. My car being sapphire black looks amazing when clean however of course gets ‘dusty’ quickly.... I’m not sure the ceramic coat helps repel dust but is most certainly makes cleaning very easy! Also the shine and mirror like result is truely beautiful with ceramic coat.

I paid around $2k mark for all this so I’m happy, Opti Coat gave me a 7 year guarantee.... but I’m told reapplication every 2 years is feasible if I feel the shine fades somewhat. My cars are secure garaged and I wash my cars each week to ensure surface contamination doesn’t sit too long. My recommendation would be ceramic coat even if it isn’t your DD. Here is a pic of my Shark clean as a whistle after its ceramic coat. I’m not sure a ‘before and after’ would really show the difference but real life does!
Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by JBF650; 11-24-2019 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
TomM673.00
      11-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
XSTAR_007
Private
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Mine is in now getting Xpel film on full hood, bumper, mirrors, and rockers + gtechniq crystal serum ultra (9 year guarantee) coating. This coating is incredible.

I’ve had my Viper, E55 AMG, C7 Vette all coated. The Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra coating is the best one IMO. It’s not cheap but I’ve been spoiled having them in the past so pulled the trigger as San Marino blue for to me is such a deep and incredible color to show off!

Last edited by XSTAR_007; 11-24-2019 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
TomM673.00
      11-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

You car looks like new! Thank you for describing your thought process. I have concluded that it will help so I am planning on doing the whole car and wheels and the fabric top. I was not sure about the value of doing the wheels but will do it since it will totally decontaminate the whole car. I also decided to do the 5year cquartz application for additional protection. I like to keep my cars like new and this one was spec'd to my exact liking and I think is one of BMW's best designs so I am planning on keeping it.
Appreciate 1
JBF650111.00
      11-25-2019, 04:30 AM   #12
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You car looks like new! Thank you for describing your thought process. I have concluded that it will help so I am planning on doing the whole car and wheels and the fabric top. I was not sure about the value of doing the wheels but will do it since it will totally decontaminate the whole car. I also decided to do the 5year cquartz application for additional protection. I like to keep my cars like new and this one was spec'd to my exact liking and I think is one of BMW's best designs so I am planning on keeping it.
So I have some price quotes for you - these are rough as I'm out of town for a bit and don't have the quotes infront of me:

1 - All American Paint Protection - Rockville MD
Paint Correction + Ceramic Coat $3k, Xpel front (bumper,hood,wings etc) c$3k, total inc taxes $7.3k

These guys are the absolute business, but their prices are what they are....

2 - DC Clear Autobra - Alexandria VA

Jason is the man - he did my buddies brand new RS5 (detail,correction,xpel front (bumper, hood, wings, rockers, rear bumper) and just generally had crazy OCD attention to detail. He did everything for c.$3.3k and quoted the same deal for my 6GC - NB this is without Ceramic coating

3 - Atomic Auto Salon - Columbia MD
Discussed their Silver package (second from highest) which included paint correction, 1 coat ceramic and Suntek PPF front. They threw in some goodies and had the best price easily - c. $3.2k for everything.

That's a rough guide - get on the phone with them directly for a more accurate quote based on what you're looking for. Unfortunately I'm going to have to hold off for a few months (paid $7k up front for extended warranty) so I have a bit of time to shop around more / save up before going ahead with it. Let us know any quotes you get or who you end up going with!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TomM673.00
      11-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #13
XSTAR_007
Private
Rep

Here is my M6GC in progress. Overall details:

Full Surface Decontamination (correction)
Xpel Film "Track Package" (full hood, bumper, mirrors, rockers, side panels)
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra coating (9 year guarantee)
Interior Cleaned and coated (forget product using) *I have Ivory Interior
Wheels and calipers will also be cleaned and coated

Overall cost $3,600 given a 10% discount running. I could have saved about $400 IF I went with the standard XPEL template on the sides, but given the aggressive offsets of the wheels I got them to custom the film for more protection behind the front and back wheels! Happy to post the final results when done.
Appreciate 1
TomM673.00
      11-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #14
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Nice color combination, I have the platinum individual leather and the more I am thinking about it I may do the interior too. Any feedback on ceramic coating on the interior leather? Is there any chance it will ruin it? Is it safe?
Here is what I am doing to bring it in new condition:
1. SunTek front, half hood, mirrors, lights, rockers, rear
2. Decontamination paint correction
3. 5 year cquartz ceramic coating including wheels and brake calipers
4. Decontamination and water repellent fabric top protection
5. Ceramic interior with detailing
Will post pictures when done in a couple of weeks.
Thank you all for the feedback
Happy thanksgiving
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #15
XSTAR_007
Private
Rep

Quote:
I am thinking about it I may do the interior
Happy thanksgiving
I'll ask what they use. They said it will last ~1yr (so not like the ceramic coatings on the paint) however said they will tell me what they use and if keeping it clean and simply reapply each year on my own.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #16
Friscom6
Private
United_States
Rep

Shop around when I did my first car it was around 3k then I found an individual detailer that did the paint correction for me and I tried the ceramic my self Cquartz uk the product was less than 100 bucks and the paint correction was 500. Shop around is worth it is not rocket science on the application was not that hard at all plenty of info and video out there. I'm in Texas.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #17
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscom6 View Post
Shop around when I did my first car it was around 3k then I found an individual detailer that did the paint correction for me and I tried the ceramic my self Cquartz uk the product was less than 100 bucks and the paint correction was 500. Shop around is worth it is not rocket science on the application was not that hard at all plenty of info and video out there. I'm in Texas.
That's a good tip. I would like a pro to do the paint correction and I can see that running up to $1k depending on how much correcting is needed.

PPF film is also something I would likely pay a professional to do as the film itself is expensive and complex to install for a beginner

The ceramic coating I'd be tempted to do myself, need to spend a lot of time researching though and find some highly recommended coating + application tutorials, I'd be scared of screwing it up! Post any recommendations if you have them!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #18
XSTAR_007
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscom6 View Post
I have a company truck that I'm going to experiment on with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light (what you can buy) or another coating to experiment and if I mess it up...oh well
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #19
Friscom6
Private
United_States
Rep

A good tip on application less is better and do small sections at a time.
Appreciate 0