BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-14-2019, 03:55 AM   #1
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

Resonator delete on stock mufflers WITH catless DP

Anyone have a non competition stock muffler car with catless downpipes and a resonator delete? is it insanely loud?

im stock muffler right now with catless DP and its very quiet unless i go WOT and let off then its actually pretty loud. will a res delete make it crazy loud? i dont want it to be too loud my city is quite generous with exhaust tickets
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

CP mufflers are basically resonator deletes. I had it for a week with catless DPs and it wasn't crazy loud. It was a decent sound though, especially at WOT. You can try that first and, if it's not aggressive enough for you, always have the option to add a catback later.

I ended up with catless DPs and Eisenmann sport mufflers and it's perfect. Aggressive when it needs to be but not obnoxious under normal driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
CP mufflers are basically resonator deletes. I had it for a week with catless DPs and it wasn't crazy loud. It was a decent sound though, especially at WOT. You can try that first and, if it's not aggressive enough for you, always have the option to add a catback later.

I ended up with catless DPs and Eisenmann sport mufflers and it's perfect. Aggressive when it needs to be but not obnoxious under normal driving.
are they really resonator deletes? theres a straight pipe where your resonators should be?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
Murdock1012
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx__xs View Post
Quote:

are they really resonator deletes? theres a straight pipe where your resonators should be?
Quote:
Quote:

Yes they are straight through. Cut mine last wk just yo waste $$
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:27 AM   #5
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdock1012 View Post
Yes they are straight through. Cut mine last wk just yo waste $$
its a waste of money? what?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

If you have CP exhaust, it's a waste taking it to the shop bc they are straight anyway (what I think the post meant).

You don't have a CP, so if you go straight it won't be crazy loud with catless. It will be more aggressive, but it still might not be loud enough for you. In which case, you'd need to spend more $ for more aggressive mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Murdock1012
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you have CP exhaust, it's a waste taking it to the shop bc they are straight anyway (what I think the post meant).

You don't have a CP, so if you go straight it won't be crazy loud with catless. It will be more aggressive, but it still might not be loud enough for you. In which case, you'd need to spend more $ for more aggressive mufflers.
Quote:

This is very true. I currently have stock dp and muffler delete done. There was no difference in sound once I took the resonators out because as stated above the CP are straight through unlike non comp which are not. I am now considering eisenmann mufflers only with catless dp or I'll do catless dp with muffler delete to see how it sounds then go from there. It sounds great right now especially on WOT but I need that loud aggressive sound similar to a full eisenmann with a catless setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:59 AM   #8
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

just took off resonators..literally barely noticeable. 5-10% louder if even that.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
phan
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, M5 SC'd, M6GC

Quote:
just took off resonators..literally barely noticeable. 5-10% louder if even that.
and this is catless dp + stock muffler? do you have the valve mod done by chance?

i'm currently catless dp + stock resonators + stock muffler but with the valve wired open at all times, just trying to get an idea if it's worth removing the resonators at all with my setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #10
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan View Post
and this is catless dp + stock muffler? do you have the valve mod done by chance?

i'm currently catless dp + stock resonators + stock muffler but with the valve wired open at all times, just trying to get an idea if it's worth removing the resonators at all with my setup.
i am catless dp + res delete + stock muffler + tune + valves wired open through bimmerlink

it is quiet as hell. can only hear it when i go WOT and its quite tame. only the pops are "loud" but not even

ya its worth it just to go as loud as possible without doing stupid things. it was only 150$
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #11
Dng93
Private
Rep
Drives: F13 m6

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I have catless dp and stock mufflers with the valves wired open. I don't really notice a difference after chopping off the resonators
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
BadSeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M6 GC

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [0.00]
2010 BMW M5  [10.00]
Gutted OEM downpipes w/ Competition exhaust. Its pretty tame

Last edited by BadSeed; 11-03-2019 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #13
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Anyone have some video clips of the setup? Catless DP + stock mufflers. I have been Catless DP + Muffler bypass for years, but I am trying to go back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:12 AM   #14
Murdock1012
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
Anyone have some video clips of the setup? Catless DP + stock mufflers. I have been Catless DP + Muffler bypass for years, but I am trying to go back to stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
Why go back to stick if you don't mind sharing?

I have a muffler delete..resonator delete and thinking about going catless dp but I'm not sure what the sound will be like.

Any of you guys had this done? Some clips would be nice
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdock1012 View Post
Why go back to stick if you don't mind sharing?

I have a muffler delete..resonator delete and thinking about going catless dp but I'm not sure what the sound will be like.

Any of you guys had this done? Some clips would be nice
RPM above 2K sounds great, but there is some drone between 1500-2000 RPM. I've gotten used to it and don't mind, but I'm selling the car now and wanted to make it a bit more tame.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #16
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSeed View Post
Gutted OEM downpipes w/ Competition exhaust. Its pretty tame

Any drone? Can you share with us interior clips as well as a fly by?

Thanks,
H
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #17
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
i got some comp pack mufflers for f13 for sale in classifieds if anyone wants a set!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #18
LeonBisha
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

Hi guys sorry if its already been asked but i am in a little dilema with my exhaust setup,

Currently on the car:

Rear/back boxes/mufflers opened up and fibreglass removed amd straight pipe welded back! Also valves welded open all the times!

Middle resonator/silencer on!

Today I did open the oem cats right next to turbo’s and gutted only one plate on each side rather then both, apparabtly the guy who did it told me if i did both it would be too loud especially being on convertible!

My goal/aim is have a nice sound but minimal drone, which i find no issues as long as middle silencer on so far is good!

I want to be able to have pops and crakles,

I do have a DMS remap so doing oem complete downpipe there wont be any issues eith eml light coming on

So my question is??? Should i gut completely the primary cats in order to achieve more pop and crakles? Or do i remove resonator and leave cats gutted just one side?

Will i get waste gate rattle if I completely gutt the cats?

Please guy any input would be appreciated, especially if someone been down situation!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #19
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonBisha View Post
Hi guys sorry if its already been asked but i am in a little dilema with my exhaust setup,

Currently on the car:

Rear/back boxes/mufflers opened up and fibreglass removed amd straight pipe welded back! Also valves welded open all the times!

Middle resonator/silencer on!

Today I did open the oem cats right next to turbo’s and gutted only one plate on each side rather then both, apparabtly the guy who did it told me if i did both it would be too loud especially being on convertible!

My goal/aim is have a nice sound but minimal drone, which i find no issues as long as middle silencer on so far is good!

I want to be able to have pops and crakles,

I do have a DMS remap so doing oem complete downpipe there wont be any issues eith eml light coming on

So my question is??? Should i gut completely the primary cats in order to achieve more pop and crakles? Or do i remove resonator and leave cats gutted just one side?

Will i get waste gate rattle if I completely gutt the cats?

Please guy any input would be appreciated, especially if someone been down situation!

Thanks in advance.
I will give you my experience with wastegate rattle form what I know,
My car in stock form has zero wastegate rattle ,I know what it is and I know what to listen for and know what it sounds like,So I first installed a Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust with stock catted downpipes, that means from the downpipes all the way to the mufflers the piping was replaced to 3.5 pipe with a velocity box in the middle section ,when I installed just those pipes I started to hear the rattle,I can only hear it if I was next to my house revving it up and down but heard it very slightly.I think just the larger pipe made it more audible even with the cats in.

Later I installed it with the catless downpipes and that was a game changer on how loud the car got the cold start was insane and my neighbors hated me.
The wastegate rattle I can hear loud and clear , it rattles a little right before you come to a stop and thats it ,it doesn't bother me at all,I know its a normal thing for the car,Later I had the car tuned to get rid of the cold start and it great now.

With the tune and exhaust the car sounds insane I get a small burble on deceleration, the cracks and pops are on another level sometimes it sound like a small explosion from the rear of the car and the whistle from the turbos its great its so worth it !

In the interior its not loud at all ,turbos themselves actually act like a muffler so at low idle and slow cruising speeds it actually quiet ,around 2k I do get some drone but its not a bad drone there are different levels of drone,also some people are more sensitive to drone than others,I can take my wife in the car and there is no complaining then its not that bad lol ,I also have the electric valves to make it quiet but I rarely use it

If I was you to get the best out of stock exhaust ,if it has a ZCP exhaust the front resonators are hollow already so there is nothing to clean out , I would of left the exhaust stock and just installed catless downpipes and kept my stock catted pipes for when you want to go back to stock ,if you have a non comp exhaust cut out the front resonators and straight pipe them, the catless pipes will make a world of difference with stock exhaust
Dont forget you can install a exhaust meister valve controller it hooks up to your vacuum lines in the trunk ,this way you can control your factory valves with a remote or via the garage door opener if its to loud you can just close them when you need it .
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:16 AM   #20
LeonBisha
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

Thanks for your input mate:-)

However problem am at the moment is yesterday we took off oem downpipes and the guy only gutted one of the plates as they have two plates on each cat thats the oem ones, he said if you take both it would be too loud, atm i am with one plate gutted of oem cats and resonator stock and rear boxes are completely gutted out and valves always open, it sounds nice with no drone at all but i am after some pops and crackles and thats why i intend to go down the oem downpipe gutting, been told that oem downpipe apparently there is no wastegate rattle as the oem cats are thick which means u can barely or none at all any wastegate!

I hope am not confussing you lol but my main goal is to add more pops and crackles, so the question is:::

If I completely gutt the oem cats will that increase alot in noise? Wastegate? And mos inportanly pops and crackles?

Or do i have to leave main cats as they are and cut out resonator?

Or gut completely main cats and cut out resonator so pretty much end up with comple straight through system all the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
I will give you my experience with wastegate rattle form what I know,
My car in stock form has zero wastegate rattle ,I know what it is and I know what to listen for and know what it sounds like,So I first installed a Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust with stock catted downpipes, that means from the downpipes all the way to the mufflers the piping was replaced to 3.5 pipe with a velocity box in the middle section ,when I installed just those pipes I started to hear the rattle,I can only hear it if I was next to my house revving it up and down but heard it very slightly.I think just the larger pipe made it more audible even with the cats in.

Later I installed it with the catless downpipes and that was a game changer on how loud the car got the cold start was insane and my neighbors hated me.
The wastegate rattle I can hear loud and clear , it rattles a little right before you come to a stop and thats it ,it doesn't bother me at all,I know its a normal thing for the car,Later I had the car tuned to get rid of the cold start and it great now.

With the tune and exhaust the car sounds insane I get a small burble on deceleration, the cracks and pops are on another level sometimes it sound like a small explosion from the rear of the car and the whistle from the turbos its great its so worth it !

In the interior its not loud at all ,turbos themselves actually act like a muffler so at low idle and slow cruising speeds it actually quiet ,around 2k I do get some drone but its not a bad drone there are different levels of drone,also some people are more sensitive to drone than others,I can take my wife in the car and there is no complaining then its not that bad lol ,I also have the electric valves to make it quiet but I rarely use it

If I was you to get the best out of stock exhaust ,if it has a ZCP exhaust the front resonators are hollow already so there is nothing to clean out , I would of left the exhaust stock and just installed catless downpipes and kept my stock catted pipes for when you want to go back to stock ,if you have a non comp exhaust cut out the front resonators and straight pipe them, the catless pipes will make a world of difference with stock exhaust
Dont forget you can install a exhaust meister valve controller it hooks up to your vacuum lines in the trunk ,this way you can control your factory valves with a remote or via the garage door opener if its to loud you can just close them when you need it .
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #21
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Does your car have the competition package ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #22
BadSeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M6 GC

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [0.00]
2010 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Any drone? Can you share with us interior clips as well as a fly by?

Thanks,
H
No drone. My car is pretty quiet. I don't hear wastegate rattle either with gutted OEMs. I don't have any flyby or interior videos at the moment.