BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-12-2022, 05:46 AM   #23
Rosie Barnes
Registered
Rep
Drives: E34 M5

The best glasses are those with straight and thin arms, not arms that bend behind your ear or have thick sides. ... Motorcycle glasses with foam gaskets to keep out the wind and dust are great. However, any good pair of close-fitting spectacles will be fine so long as they fit properly under your helmet
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      01-12-2022, 09:21 AM   #24
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Barnes View Post
The best glasses are those with straight and thin arms, not arms that bend behind your ear or have thick sides. ... Motorcycle glasses with foam gaskets to keep out the wind and dust are great. However, any good pair of close-fitting spectacles will be fine so long as they fit properly under your helmet
I wanted to get a pair if these and have my optician put Rx lenses in them. But not confident how smoothly the process would be

https://flyweargroup.com/store/
Appreciate 1
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      01-12-2022, 09:43 AM   #25
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Quote:
I wanted to get a pair if these and have my optician put Rx lenses in them. But not confident how smoothly the process would be

Hey wait! How do these work?
Do they snap into the helmet? I'm interested but don't feel like getting headaches if the prescription is slightly off from my normal wear glasses. Plus I'll want bifocals if I get them.

I just can't do contacts.. putting something on my eyeball everyday?????
…..Faints…..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615271.00
      01-12-2022, 09:52 AM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Do they snap into the helmet? I'm interested but don't feel like getting headaches if the prescription is slightly off from my normal wear glasses. Plus I'll want bifocals if I get them.

…..Faints…..
What are you bifocal-ing on a bike???
      01-12-2022, 09:56 AM   #27
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

…..Faints…..
It just helps not getting a headache really. When I glance down at the speedo while riding or checking out the instrument cluster while sitting at the light.

I tried wearing my far sighted glasses for riding.. came back head throbbing. When I wear the bifocals.. nada. Just my nose swells when I wear glasses in the helmet. Even sunglasses.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:17 PM   #28
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:

Are you just styling on a Vespa, or are you riding a motorcycle?
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      01-12-2022, 04:04 PM   #29
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:

…..Faints…..
those flywear frames are pretty much traditional glasses with a short and spread flat temple for traction and comfort behind the ear by not having an ear flap pressing on an ear piece due to the helmet.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 04:05 PM   #30
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
have a Pan America coming in a few weeks and planning on some long rides in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 04:30 PM   #31
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

…..Faints…..
For some of us, bifocals are for (a) distance and (b) instruments.
      01-12-2022, 04:34 PM   #32
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is one of those situations in which it's best to try them in person if you can: not only to make sure that the eyeglasses fit, but that the helmet in general fits your head.

As others have recommended: go DOT (if you're in the US) and Snell. I recommend full face for maximum protection.

In general, a more expensive helmet will offer superior features such as ventilation and defogging.
      01-12-2022, 04:47 PM   #33
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

…..Faints…..
Makes sense.
      01-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #34
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

…..Faints…..
Makes sense.
I wear progressives. They work well for me.
      01-12-2022, 05:42 PM   #35
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

…..Faints…..
Makes sense.
I wear line bifocals. Progressives did not work for me. I don't ride, myself, but can appreciate the necessity of bifocals.

PS - have had cataract surgery in both eyes and don't need glasses most of the time now.
      01-13-2022, 12:08 PM   #36
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

…..Faints…..
Makes sense.
I wear line bifocals. Progressives did not work for me. I don't ride, myself, but can appreciate the necessity of bifocals.

PS - have had cataract surgery in both eyes and don't need glasses most of the time now.
Yup. Each person can react differently.

I happen to love progressives, for everything except music. I have a separate pair of single focal length glasses for that. For me, progressives work great for driving, riding, regular life, etc.

I haven't tried line bifocals yet. They may be in my future for music.

I haven't tried prescription visors or visor inserts for riding yet.
      01-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #37
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

My head is definitely and obviously a shoei head. Would've loved to fit in Arai but there's a noticeable gap at the top of my dome.

I gave up trying to shove sunglasses into helmets and ride primarily with tinted visors. Darkest tint they have. Dark smoke I believe. Car windows have always been tinted out so used to it.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      01-13-2022, 05:46 PM   #38
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
have a Pan America coming in a few weeks and planning on some long rides in comfort.
Nice.

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose that over, say, an R1250GS?

That said, that is the only bike in the current H-D lineup that I would consider buying.
      01-13-2022, 06:54 PM   #39
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nice.

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose that over, say, an R1250GS?

That said, that is the only bike in the current H-D lineup that I would consider buying.
Spent a lot of time analyzing the R1250GS versus the Harley Pan America. Test rides, YouTube videos and dedicated forums.

Actually October of 2020 the day I went to a BMW dealership to place a deposit on a GS or GS Adventure a STOP sale due to leaking brake caliper went into effect. And that messed with my plans and my Harley guy starting contacting me and those communications eventually led to me saying O.K. to an order on January 2022.

My Harley dealer is also much closer to my home than my BMW Motorrad dealer.
And the York County, Pennsylvania Harley Davidson Assembly plant is about 50 miles from my home and when things change I wanted to ride up there.

The Harley has the hydraulic valve adjusters unlike the BMW. And the BMW has the shaft drive so you don't have to clean a chain every 600 miles. I decided the hydraulic valves would be more advantageous.

Then in August BMW Motorcycle had a test drive event nearby. The 1250GS was so easy to ride, the handling was very intuitive. I also rode an R18 and fell in love except the R18 had a lot of chrome and my bike is going to be abused and daily driven and I felt the R18 would not be ideal for the abuse I plan on giving my bike. I made one final attempt in October of 2021 to buy the R1250 and they never got back to me with price so that pushed me toward the Harley.

I liked the Ducati multistrada but though the dealer network may not provide me with what Harley could provide.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 07:20 PM   #40
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

You're going to miss that shaft. My Guzzi is the only one of my bikes with a shaft and I love that it's just oil, fluid and fluid.

Obviously on the Ducati in the MV there are chains and I have to deal with that to not get the power loss, but on something for cruising like the Guzzi the durability is Paramount.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      01-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #41
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Just how often do you think a BMW R1250GS needs the valves adjusted, and did you ever check to see what that costs? You'll need new tires by then, anyway! I hope you enjoy the Pan America. There's always another bike in your future.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      01-13-2022, 07:53 PM   #42
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Spent a lot of time analyzing the R1250GS versus the Harley Pan America. Test rides, YouTube videos and dedicated forums.

Actually October of 2020 the day I went to a BMW dealership to place a deposit on a GS or GS Adventure a STOP sale due to leaking brake caliper went into effect. And that messed with my plans and my Harley guy starting contacting me and those communications eventually led to me saying O.K. to an order on January 2022.

My Harley dealer is also much closer to my home than my BMW Motorrad dealer.
And the York County, Pennsylvania Harley Davidson Assembly plant is about 50 miles from my home and when things change I wanted to ride up there.

The Harley has the hydraulic valve adjusters unlike the BMW. And the BMW has the shaft drive so you don't have to clean a chain every 600 miles. I decided the hydraulic valves would be more advantageous.

Then in August BMW Motorcycle had a test drive event nearby. The 1250GS was so easy to ride, the handling was very intuitive. I also rode an R18 and fell in love except the R18 had a lot of chrome and my bike is going to be abused and daily driven and I felt the R18 would not be ideal for the abuse I plan on giving my bike. I made one final attempt in October of 2021 to buy the R1250 and they never got back to me with price so that pushed me toward the Harley.

I liked the Ducati multistrada but though the dealer network may not provide me with what Harley could provide.
I'm sort of your neighbor. Which BMW dealership was this? The one I bought my C650 Sport from is very good about following up to the point of being aggressive some times.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #43
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just how often do you think a BMW R1250GS needs the valves adjusted, and did you ever check to see what that costs? You'll need new tires by then, anyway! I hope you enjoy the Pan America. There's always another bike in your future.
Had read on the R18 boxer engine, the cylinder that leans down had been having some oil pooling issues.
And I had read about some chipping of internal valve trains on 1200/1250 boxers.
Near where I live there is a place called The Motorcycle Collective ( http://baltomoco.com ) and I could probably do the valves adjust myself so pricing wasn't a concern to me. But I do understand the 1250GS has a reputation for pricey maintenance.

Thank You, I hope the bike is fun, if not there are a few BMW bikes that I'd like to try.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:33 PM   #44
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'm sort of your neighbor. Which BMW dealership was this? The one I bought my C650 Sport from is very good about following up to the point of being aggressive some times.
Was shopping Bob's. And the salespeople were very nice, really good people.
No doubt Bob's is a fine operation. And if there wasn't the caliper recall I'd be on a BMW right now.

Also, can't dismiss that I may share some responsibility the communication between us didn't end up with a sale. Also think subconsciously I was preferring the Harley and thats why the BMW sale didn't materialize.

I also had a very good browsing experience at District / Battley - Harley BMW. The sales guy was very good. As did seem the general manager. But they were just too far away.
Appreciate 0