BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Grand Coupe

New member, white M6 GC

Took the plunge, competition and executive packages, 2016 with 23k miles.

The bike is a 2018 K1600GTL, purchased brand new. Has 3K miles so far.

What's a good battery charger / maintainer for the M6?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Congrats.

In regards to a battery maintainer...I got the BMW one seen below...but you can find the same design that offers the same options usually for less money (look for CTEK brand). I had enough reward money that knocked off the price in my scenario.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: RHD X3 M40i + LHD Brabus B63S

As above go for a CTEK. Model MXS 5.0 is ideal and you can use it for car or bike.

I've been using CTEK for years and often keep one car or other connected for months at a time.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the quick replies and pictures.

That CTEK 5.0 was the one I was thinking about. Being new to the M6 I don't even know if the battery is AGM or not, I believe it is. When I looked in the trunk, the specs are covered with all the positive terminal connections, and on the side I could only see a BMW logo.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: RHD X3 M40i + LHD Brabus B63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixteenM6 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies and pictures.

That CTEK 5.0 was the one I was thinking about. Being new to the M6 I don't even know if the battery is AGM or not, I believe it is. When I looked in the trunk, the specs are covered with all the positive terminal connections, and on the side I could only see a BMW logo.
I'm currently using a CTEK on the M6. It's connected to the charging points in the engine compartment using the supplied crocodile clips. CTEK also provide eyelet connectors for a more permanent connection which I may get around to later. It's been connected like that for the past 6 weeks and good to know the battery will be fully charged when I use it this weekend.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep

I do have a batteryMinder 2012 that I use for my bike and my truck and it works perfectly, fully automated. But it is not made for AGM batteries. Is the M6 battery AGM? I wonder if it will cause any problems if I connect the batteryMinder to the M6's jump start posts under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition

I use this Battery Tender model. Works perfect with no issues. The battery is AGM.

Battery Tender (022-0186G-DL-WH) 12V 5 Amp Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDFPN1O..._KYnSCb3AQJ9KA

But looks like they also have a 4 amp version that is switchable between AGM/Lithium

Battery Tender 022-0209-DL-WH 4A Selectable Charger is an AGM/Standard or GEL/Lithium Iron Switchable, 12v or 6v Switchable at 4a, Includes Rings & Clips. It Will Never Over Charge Your Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K87YZ3C..._n.nSCbHMA5JY7

I’ve been using the Battery Tender brand for years on multiple vehicles/bikes with no complaints.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Maybe a totally silly and out of line question, but why would one need a battery charger? I understand sometimes you might experience excessive battery discharge if the car is not driven for months - is this the scenario here? Or are you guys experiencing battery discharge under normal conditions and with reasonably regular use?

Unfortunately I can’t find time to drive my M6 GC usually outside of weekends, and sometimes the car may end up being on its own for 3-4 weeks, but even in those situations I’ve never experienced excessive discharge, as a matter of fact, even when driving after longer time without action, the stop-start system usually activates after just a couple of min of driving (indication of normal battery charge level). The only situation I have experienced discharge is when using the sound system (non-factory with reasonably high output amps) for an extended period (for instance when detailing) without engine running, but that’s self inflicted (*stupidity)...

So, is there another reason to keep the battery at max charge? Longevity?

Keen to hear your thoughts.
Appreciate 1
K737.50
      04-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #9
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Took the plunge, competition and executive packages, 2016 with 23k miles.

The bike is a 2018 K1600GTL, purchased brand new. Has 3K miles so far.

What's a good battery charger / maintainer for the M6?
Congrats, gorgeous car, enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... Being new to the M6 I don't even know if the battery is AGM or not, I believe it is. ....
Quote:
I do have a batteryMinder 2012 ... But it is not made for AGM batteries. Is the M6 battery AGM? I wonder if it will cause any problems if I connect the batteryMinder to the M6's jump start posts under the hood.
Yes...all modern BMW automobiles use an AGM battery. The use of an AGM battery came around the same time BMW implemented the IBS (intelligent battery sensor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
...why would one need a battery charger? I understand sometimes you might experience excessive battery discharge if the car is not driven for months - is this the scenario here? Or are you guys experiencing battery discharge under normal conditions and with reasonably regular use?

...I’ve never experienced excessive discharge, as a matter of fact, even when driving after longer time without action, the stop-start system usually activates after just a couple of min of driving (indication of normal battery charge level). The only situation I have experienced discharge is when using the sound system (non-factory with reasonably high output amps) for an extended period (for instance when detailing) without engine running, but that’s self inflicted (*stupidity)...

So, is there another reason to keep the battery at max charge? Longevity?

Keen to hear your thoughts.
Probably 90% of BMW owners that use a battery tender/maintainer do so because they have periods of time that they don't drive their vehicle. Anytime a battery does go into deep discharge...it is a negative affect on the battery and can cause damage that will eventually shorten the life of the battery.

So keeping a charger connected to the jump start terminals in the engine bay...helps to prevent damage from multiple deep or shallow discharge. There are also a lot of electronics that can be awakened in certain circumstances. For instance, if you have comfort access...anytime a remote fob is within range...it will wake up some of the modules on the communication bus...the CA antennas are receiving info from the remote fob. So if your wife (or you) have the remote on their person and walks past the car parked in the garage...it wakes up and uses power from the battery.

And if you don't lock your car because it's in the garage...if anyone in the house opens a door or the trunk...again, the car wakes up and remains "online" for at least 16 minutes (that's what it used to be) if no other calls are made on that communication bus...then the car goes back to sleep.

Then, if you live in a part of the world that has extreme heat and/or extreme cold...this also can be hard on a battery when parked or being driven and restarted.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 5
BMWM5NYC496.00
jjasonSU194.00
Havy292.00
      04-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #11
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Excellent explanations above. I'd add that keeping a battery charger connected is good for the battery because they also desulfate them. I have been using batteryMinder 2012 on my other vehicles and I never had to buy a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #12
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC ILE

Congrats and welcome to the forum! Beautiful and clean M6 there
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #13
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Congrats on the ownership champ
Time to gut that exhaust now.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2019, 03:22 AM   #14
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

I got a white one too

How do you guys upload pics?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:41 AM   #15
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Congrats.

In regards to a battery maintainer...I got the BMW one seen below...but you can find the same design that offers the same options usually for less money (look for CTEK brand). I had enough reward money that knocked off the price in my scenario.
Great looking car - enjoy.

Thats great advice, I would have bought that if I’d known but bought 2 x the CTEK ons (https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0) for my GC GC in the UK as well as for my wife’s 125 convert in Madrid as we sometimes don’t go there for months at a time. It works great but I see you point out in the manual about charging points. I’ve been attaching mine directly to the battery points in the front but notice in the Bmw garage they often attach to other easier points to get at under the hood? What do you use?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:25 PM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
... I’ve been attaching mine directly to the battery points in the front but notice in the Bmw garage they often attach to other easier points to get at under the hood? What do you use?
I use the jump start terminals in the engine bay. Again, I do this because the charging will be detected by the IBS (intelligent battery sensor)...thus reduce issues of it not understanding any unknown changes in the battery's voltage:

The pic below is of an M6 engine bay...but the terminals in my regular 650ix are in the same locations...as well as being in the general vicinity on the 6 cyl models, too:
Attached Images

Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-19-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #17
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I use the jump start terminals in the engine bay. Again, I do this because the charging will be detected by the IBS (intelligent battery sensor)...thus reduce issues of it not understanding any unknown changes in the battery's voltage:

The pic below are of an M6 engine bay...but the terminals in my regular 650ix are in the same locations...as well as being in the general vicinity on the 6 cyl models, too:
thanks for the advice and guidance. It’s what I suspected and supports what I’ve seen in the showroom. I’ll do it this way next time. Many thanks...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #18
Ro_Ja Boy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cars

Can you not use the cigarette lighter attachments they sell and connect it inside the car instead of having to access the battery terminals each time?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #19
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I don’t know if that is working at all but then you squeeze the cable either between the door and sill plate or the windows.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #20
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy View Post
Can you not use the cigarette lighter attachments they sell and connect it inside the car instead of having to access the battery terminals each time?
I will repost the information that was in post #2. Take note of the rest of the paragraph that is AFTER the text highlighted in GREEN.

Cliff notes: the cig lighters de-energize after a few minutes...thus are useless as connecting points for charging the car's battery.

Plus many of the battery maintainers (BMW & CTEK brands) supply hardware that allows for permanent attachments to the jump start terminals...and the power cord has two sections...the short section of the power cord can be secured in the engine bay for quick connection to the charger/maintainer/tender. And you also want the power source to be recognized by the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) so that any change in the status of the battery is not perceived as an issue...thus causing incorrect charging.

{in the lower right of the pic below...you can see the supplied hardware that allows for permanent attachment...the left side shows the quick connect/disconnect alligator clips}

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #21
General Lee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 M6 GC F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonboy View Post
I got a white one too

How do you guys upload pics?
Click on the paper clip but first resize to 2400 x1500 - see below and i use the IOS app IMAGE SIZE....its a great app...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0