BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-11-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

M6 Headlight Lens

Long story short have messed up lens no cannot be fixed have tried several shops my only option is to replace with new lens cannot find anywhere.

And no I am not looking to spend 3000$ on headlights brand new and neither 1000$ on used headlights that’s just insane.

Looking to buy new lens and have my lens inside painted black.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Did you pull the headlight up in any of the online part database sites? I don't think BMW sells the lens separately. If I'm right, your least expensive option will probably be to find a used one.

Good luck. And if looking for a used one...then all f12/f13/f06 have the same headlight on whatever side of the facelift you fall.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep

They sell whole headlight.

Least expensive would be somehow finding the actual lens

Mint condition headlights are going for 1500$ each no tabs broken etc smoking some good crack
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      04-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagmail View Post
They sell whole headlight.

Least expensive would be somehow finding the actual lens

Mint condition headlights are going for 1500$ each no tabs broken etc smoking some good crack
Think of it this way, you have a $120-140k car, and the per headlight cost is roughly 1% of the total vehicle cost, it's not so bad now huh?
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      04-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

are the m6 lenses any different from other models? could broaden your search.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #6
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
Think of it this way, you have a $120-140k car, and the per headlight cost is roughly 1% of the total vehicle cost, it's not so bad now huh?
6000$ for a pair of headlights that’s 6 years old and value of 50k ?

No way in hell, with taxes that’s about 7k goes more than 1% more like 10-12%

If it was new model new technology that would be different story, you can find 7 series headlights 2015-2017$ used for 700 bucks mint condition while these old 6 series going for 1000-1200$ with small damages it’s crazy. Not worth it IMO.

I think I’m just gonna open them and refinish and much as I can they’re just foggy and those little tiny specs headlights get over time.

130-140k for headlights that age like shit let me not mention my carbon ceramic brakes that squeak like a hot hell, and the crazy 2qt oil consumption I been taking to dealer for two years already.

Just disappointed at this point don’t think I’ll get another M I’ll be going with Mercedes next Ive just had so many bad experiences at my dealership also bunch of idiots tell them something is wrong and they’ll always brush it off or look at other stuff and completely forget to fix what was first mentioned.

Not to mention my carbon fiber roof I been fighting with the dealer for two years now due to fading mind you I have CPO and I had orig warranty back then.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #7
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:

If it was new model new technology that would be different story, you can find 7 series headlights 2015-2017$ used for 700 bucks mint condition while these old 6 series going for 1000-1200$ with small damages it’s crazy. Not worth it IMO.

I think I’m just gonna open them and refinish and much as I can they’re just foggy and those little tiny specs headlights get over time.

130-140k for headlights that age like shit let me not mention my carbon ceramic brakes that squeak like a hot hell, and the crazy 2qt oil consumption I been taking to dealer for two years already.

Just disappointed at this point don’t think I’ll get another M I’ll be going with Mercedes next Ive just had so many bad experiences at my dealership also bunch of idiots tell them something is wrong and they’ll always brush it off or look at other stuff and completely forget to fix what was first mentioned.

Not to mention my carbon fiber roof I been fighting with the dealer for two years now due to fading mind you I have CPO and I had orig warranty back then.
That sucks about your experience with the M6. Mine eats maybe half a quart of oil in 6,000 miles if that and I drive it hard, and the cf roof looks like new. Just some bad egg cars out there and the same can happen with a Mercedes which is why i prefer to lease new cars, when there's a problem, it's their problem not mine. I would buy a used Porsche, Lambo, or Ferrari due to the residual value hold, but not an M6, or E63, S63, etc. they're always on the way down fast for the first 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

It'll be easier if you buy my M6 instead and swap the headlights
      04-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:

You sound like me when I had my Mercedes E63s , let me just say it was a Piece of garbage, That little list you had problems with the M6 the Benz quadruples that ,It was down to even there rims can’t hold air , I won’t go back . The M6 is built like it came from another planet , Even the new E63s with the cheap like strip club interior , I know someone that just did a tune and trans and transfer case exploded, 20k in damage luckily it was covered under warranty.
Sounds like you don’t take care of the car , the roof should just get polished and then waxed regularly it’s carbon fiber it needs extra care ,the carbon ceramic brakes need to be pressure washed every time you wash the car and they won’t squeal, and your oil problem did you try a different brand oil Liqui Moly is known to help with using oil, Turbo cars do use more oil especially high performance cars ,if you don’t want problems buy a Honda but one thing you with get is boring
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:25 PM   #10
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
You sound like me when I had my Mercedes E63s , let me just say it was a Piece of garbage, That little list you had problems with the M6 the Benz quadruples that ,It was down to even there rims can’t hold air , I won’t go back . The M6 is built like it came from another planet , Even the new E63s with the cheap like strip club interior , I know someone that just did a tune and trans and transfer case exploded, 20k in damage luckily it was covered under warranty.
Sounds like you don’t take care of the car , the roof should just get polished and then waxed regularly it’s carbon fiber it needs extra care ,the carbon ceramic brakes need to be pressure washed every time you wash the car and they won’t squeal, and your oil problem did you try a different brand oil Liqui Moly is known to help with using oil, Turbo cars do use more oil especially high performance cars ,if you don’t want problems buy a Honda but one thing you with get is boring

I take care of my car every single maint, the roof I got it like this lucky car sits in garage every single day, brakes don’t squeal for the first 2 days of car wash after that it’s squeal central what I’m suppose to get a car wash every3/4days for brakes not to squeal like my wheels are gonna fall apart. I use liqui moly every 1200-1400 miles 2 quarts.

I’m just extremely disappointed with the roof and things just wearing out so quick it’s at dealership right now for all brand new speakers half blown half rattle b&o. Also in for another “oil leak” according to them which is causing oil comp they already fixed a oil leak from trans to engine I forgot what it was.

Don’t get me wrong car is great and problem free just annoying to deal with a dealer that I’ve told them SEVERAL times about roof and oil comp and they’re just like that’s normal, bunch of idiots. I’m going to talk to SA again, & CALL BMW NA regarding the roof it’s not horrible but I can already see some spots on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #11
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
That sucks about your experience with the M6. Mine eats maybe half a quart of oil in 6,000 miles if that and I drive it hard, and the cf roof looks like new. Just some bad egg cars out there and the same can happen with a Mercedes which is why i prefer to lease new cars, when there's a problem, it's their problem not mine. I would buy a used Porsche, Lambo, or Ferrari due to the residual value hold, but not an M6, or E63, S63, etc. they're always on the way down fast for the first 5 years.
I wish half a quart every 6k that would be nothing every less than 1.5k miles 2 quarts
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:27 PM   #12
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep

I quess I’m just frustrated when I’ve told them about the CF ROOF And Oil issue and they just wipe their ass with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #13
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

Quote:
I wish half a quart every 6k that would be nothing every less than 1.5k miles 2 quarts
what oil are you running? i do 1 quart every 750 miles. 0-30. im getting tired of it. im changing to 5-30 to see if it helps
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #14
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep

Liqui moly i think 0/30 not sure take it to a very good bmw shop

Check if you have any leaks I’ve had 2 in past two years dealer keeps brushing it off that’s normal which is what frustrates me the most I’ve had about 10 dealership trips in a year
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 04:40 AM   #15
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
I quess I’m just frustrated when I’ve told them about the CF ROOF And Oil issue and they just wipe their ass with it.
I had these same kind of issues with my E63 , all frustrating stuff that they can’t seem to fix, I do feel your pain and I can relate to how you feel,for the oil the dealer recommends 0w40 but if you buy Liqui Moly from ECS, FCP EURO,etc. they all recommend 5w40, 0w30 seems so thin, are you in an extremely cold climate?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:34 AM   #16
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I had these same kind of issues with my E63 , all frustrating stuff that they can’t seem to fix, I do feel your pain and I can relate to how you feel,for the oil the dealer recommends 0w40 but if you buy Liqui Moly from ECS, FCP EURO,etc. they all recommend 5w40, 0w30 seems so thin, are you in an extremely cold climate?
Especially when they just dick you around!

I think 0-40 or 5-40

I am in Miami Florida
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:25 PM   #17
BMWF06
Private
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Especially when they just dick you around!

I think 0-40 or 5-40

I am in Miami Florida
I would honestly try 5w40 penzoil platinum euro! I was running even more expensive Amsoil but only penzoil lowered my oil consumption. Maybe bc it has lower evaporation.
Appreciate 0