06-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

M6 Vs M6 ZCP

Hey,

I just drove the M6 GC Competition back to back right after my non competition M6 GC .... Call me crazy but I did not feel any difference at all... I tried it in all kinds of settings and took my time testing it in turns and acceleration and if anything my transmission felt tighter but that’s probably because it’s just newer... The steering feel is exactly the same and is as direct as a non competition... the suspension felt exactly the same... the only noticeable difference was a slightly cooler sound which came from the akrapovic exhaust... both cars parked together the suspension is exactly the same height...Am I missing something here? Where did that $6500 go ???
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

No ride height difference? Yours isn't lowered any extra to match it? If that's the case, & the steering isn't superior, then I can probably comfortably scratch having the Comp Pack off of my desired(but not necessary) list.

Wouldn't see the point in throwing down the extra $$
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
No ride height difference? Yours isn't lowered any extra to match it? If that's the case, & the steering isn't superior, then I can probably comfortably scratch having the Comp Pack off of my desired(but not necessary) list.

Wouldn't see the point in throwing down the extra $$
That’s what I said... ride height is exactly the same... Maybe if you are a Lewis Hamilton and you take both of these cars on a track and drive them back to back for the whole day then maybe, just maybe, you will be able to figure out a difference between them... but my butt dyno tells me they are both exactly the same apart from the exhaust note... definitely not worth the extra money they are asking for that competition package.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6;E92 M3;E85 Z4M; 958 SEH

It's 15-35hp at the very top of the rev range (Depending on MY).
Most people will not be able to feel that.
I believe ride height is also the same (ZCP lowered the M5 not the M6).
What you should feel is the quicker steering and stiffer suspension.
I've driven both ZCP and non-ZCP back to back and the steering and suspension are very noticable. If you can't feel the difference then you shouldn't get it, but that's why I tell everyone to drive both and see if they can tell.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      06-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
Theres also a difference in the M Diff between the CP and nons, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
Theres also a difference in the M Diff between the CP and nons, right?
So they say... I call bullshit... the diff on a standard car is already very aggressive... nothing much else they can do there... different software? 🤔
For example, not a lot of people know that the first gear on the M6 is shorter than on the M5... Nooone is sure exactly what else they did to the standard M6 but it feels way sportier and faster than the M5.

Last edited by av.7447; 06-13-2018 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842219

Just reference this post...
Also I stand by my original opinion.
Just drive both to determine if you think it's worth it.
The market suggests that ZCP cars command a premium, so apparently enough of the market thinks it makes a difference upon on resale.
I for one noticed a significant difference, another driver might not notice it, and therefore can pay less to get a non ZCP car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuhandy View Post
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842219

Just reference this post...
Also I stand by my original opinion.
Just drive both to determine if you think it's worth it.
The market suggests that ZCP cars command a premium, so apparently enough of the market thinks it makes a difference upon on resale.
I for one noticed a significant difference, another driver might not notice it, and therefore can pay less to get a non ZCP car.
This post you are referring to talks mostly about the M5... I highly doubt the M6 has the same treatment as a lot of people even in reviews were claiming that the standard M6 feels like the M5 with CP... There is not a one single video on Youtube that is actually comparing those cars (M6/M6CP) in detail. More direct steering you say? Drive the 2008 E60 550 with active steering and tell me which steering is more direct, the E60 or the M6CP... there you will feel a huge difference in steering... M6 and M6CP feels the same unless my 2018 model year already has CP steering as standard... 🤔
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #9
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by av.7447 View Post
This post you are referring to talks mostly about the M5... I highly doubt the M6 has the same treatment as a lot of people even in reviews were claiming that the standard M6 feels like the M5 with CP... There is not a one single video on Youtube that is actually comparing those cars (M6/M6CP) in detail. More direct steering you say? Drive the 2008 E60 550 with active steering and tell me which steering is more direct, the E60 or the M6CP... there you will feel a huge difference in steering... M6 and M6CP feels the same unless my 2018 model year already has CP steering as standard... 🤔
You're just trying to justify your opinion....I test drove both and there's a big difference, steering and tightness overall feel of the car is improved on the ZCP as is the top of the gear speed by a slight feel....Get what you want but they didn't just hoodwink everyone with a upgrade that was nothing
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought we were comparing ZCP vs Non-ZCP...
I also happen to have an E60 550i with DHP so ya...
Like I said before, no one is suggesting that what you "feel" is wrong.
But most of the community feel different about it...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I suspect OP actually drove two of the same cars. Do you have the VIN of both cars?
      06-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I suspect OP actually drove two of the same cars. Do you have the VIN of both cars?
This would explain a lot.
Maybe the CP car isn't actually a CP car, or maybe your car is...
Most people I've talked to notice a significant difference between the way a ZCP car vs a Non-zcp car drives.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:38 AM   #13
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

agree with those above. if you don't notice the difference with your driving habits... probably not worth it. however, worth double checking to make sure the one being labeled a CP actually does have that pkg. obviously you can't got totally wrong here! good luck!

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
M6 in Bama
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Vert, Saphire Black

What year and how many miles on the CP version you drove vs your 2018?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #15
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6 in Bama View Post
What year and how many miles on the CP version you drove vs your 2018?
OP wasn't able to confirm that the car he drove was actually a CP. Given that everyone else says they can tell the difference and that OP hasn't provided the VIN of the car he drove, we're assuming he drove a non-CP car with a MPE.

Maybe as OP was in Canada, it was really cold and he was wearing some thick Goretex body condom:

Last edited by Flying Ace; 06-20-2018 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #16
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
OP wasn't able to confirm that the car he drove was actually a CP. Given that everyone else says they can tell the difference and that OP hasn't provided the VIN of the car he drove, we're assuming he drove a non-CP car with a MPE.

Maybe as OP was in Canada, it was really cold and he was wearing some thick Goretex body condom:
lol, FlyingAce, do you have anything else to do other than spy on this forum 24/7? Does anyone even work here??? 😅 I am still working on those photos I promised you... maybe coming in August now as I am back at work and didn’t get much time to enjoy my new car!

I did drive it in Canada, haha, and it was in fact competition M6. I wasn’t born yesterday... I didn’t get the VIN of the car when I was at the dealer on the M tour, so I can’t provide it to you. No point of arguing any more as I already stated my opinion and I will repeat that again: My e60 550 steering is more direct than that of a cp M6. Also I didn’t feel any considerable difference in the M6 CP and my non CP M6. The extra 15hp on topend, that’s a “maybe” as I unfortunately didn’t have a chance to hit 160mph on that day...if anyone here cares, I also happen to drive an M5 while i was there and it felt like a Cadillac on steroids compared to the M6. The new M5’s suspension on the Sport Plus setting felt softer than a comfort setting on my non CP M6. Overall I enjoyed a manual M2 the most and I am glad I got a 2018 M6 over the new M5!

The moral of the story is, do not wait for the M6 CP if you are buying one, I would rather have a B&O over CP... it is not a day and night difference. If you are getting a new one and dont give a f about money, might as well click that CP check for your personal inner soul satisfaction... other than that, if you need more power, get a tune...
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      06-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #17
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I'm curious now, can you provide us at least a description of the car and the dealership name? It might still be posted for sale.

Often webpages are archived and I can still find the old posting of the car. Many of us really feel you didn't drive a ZCP car.

VIN is overkill, but even a photo of the tailpipes, window sticker, the aforementioned description will go a long way.
      06-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #18
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC BSM/SO

i have to agree with av.... I drove both multiple times and I found no difference, to the point that I bought a non-CP M6. I'm pretty familiar with performance vehicles and I could not tell a difference in performance between CP and non-CP. But that's just my opinion, I know what I drove and what I felt (and didn't feel....which was any difference). So I feel good about my decision not to buy CP. Flame-suit on!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:50 PM   #19
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious now, can you provide us at least a description of the car and the dealership name? It might still be posted for sale.

Often webpages are archived and I can still find the old posting of the car. Many of us really feel you didn't drive a ZCP car.

VIN is overkill, but even a photo of the tailpipes, window sticker, the aforementioned description will go a long way.
Dude, let it go 🤣. It is an M tour from BMW Canada. They have all the M cars which they take dealer to dealer around Canada for people to go and test drive them. These cars are not attached to any dealer. You want the picture of the exhaust pipes? 😅😅😅 .... it had an Akrapovic exhaust that comes with ultimate package in Canada as standard. The ultimate package also includes all the possible options except carbon ceramics as standard.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #20
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Dude, let it go 🤣. It is an M tour from BMW Canada. They have all the M cars which they take dealer to dealer around Canada for people to go and test drive them. These cars are not attached to any dealer. You want the picture of the exhaust pipes? 😅😅😅 .... it had an Akrapovic exhaust that comes with ultimate package in Canada as standard. The ultimate package also includes all the possible options except carbon ceramics as standard.
Got it, I read it that it was at the dealership. Didn't know you were driving a tour demo car.
      06-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #21
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol, FlyingAce, do you have anything else to do other than spy on this forum 24/7? Does anyone even work here??? 😅 I am still working on those photos I promised you... maybe coming in August now as I am back at work and didn’t get much time to enjoy my new car!

I did drive it in Canada, haha, and it was in fact competition M6. I wasn’t born yesterday... I didn’t get the VIN of the car when I was at the dealer on the M tour, so I can’t provide it to you. No point of arguing any more as I already stated my opinion and I will repeat that again: My e60 550 steering is more direct than that of a cp M6. Also I didn’t feel any considerable difference in the M6 CP and my non CP M6. The extra 15hp on topend, that’s a “maybe” as I unfortunately didn’t have a chance to hit 160mph on that day...if anyone here cares, I also happen to drive an M5 while i was there and it felt like a Cadillac on steroids compared to the M6. The new M5’s suspension on the Sport Plus setting felt softer than a comfort setting on my non CP M6. Overall I enjoyed a manual M2 the most and I am glad I got a 2018 M6 over the new M5!

The moral of the story is, do not wait for the M6 CP if you are buying one, I would rather have a B&O over CP... it is not a day and night difference. If you are getting a new one and dont give a f about money, might as well click that CP check for your personal inner soul satisfaction... other than that, if you need more power, get a tune...
I don't agree with your moral of the story...
Maybe some of us are just more sensitive to the CP changes.
Either way all you are stating is opinion and the rest of the community is entitled to theirs. You are saying the CP isn't worth it, which is fine for you since you can't tell the difference. But saying that there is no difference is essentially saying that the rest of us are morons; did you really not expect any push-back...
Appreciate 1
1MEANM628.50