BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #3675
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I just saw in our regional news that a neighboring county dropped the civil service exam fee for anyone signing up for the police tests, because they are extremely short of people on the list.....
mahalom3163.00
      07-04-2021, 07:30 AM   #3676
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
PS: Murf993 I saw the headline of the cop killing in Toronto - just unacceptable. I have been out of the loop travelling the past couple of days - did they catch the perp?
Yes, incredibly sad story. That's my old division but I had moved on before he arrived. I think I had dealt with him on a very few occasions though. Everything I'm hearing about him is that he was a real gentleman and excellent copper. Yes, one in custody at the scene and charged with first degree murder.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      07-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #3677
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ffic-incident/

I didn't know her well, but I knew her. I met her years and years ago at a Capoeira event (…Brazilian martial art) and had no idea that she had gone on to become a police officer. It's tragic that her life ended in a flash.
Appreciate 5
Lady Jane70313.50
Buug95917177.00
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      07-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #3678
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Yes, incredibly sad story. That's my old division but I had moved on before he arrived. I think I had dealt with him on a very few occasions though. Everything I'm hearing about him is that he was a real gentleman and excellent copper. Yes, one in custody at the scene and charged with first degree murder.
I'm sorry - I cannot imagine the myriad of thoughts you had/have upon hearing of this and subsequently.

While I'm glad they caught the shithead who did this, it can't replace the life and the loss of virtues extolled there by that gent, taken away so.

Heavens, another one - I'm sorry to hear of this news @Sedan_clan
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      07-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #3679
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I just saw in our regional news that a neighboring county dropped the civil service exam fee for anyone signing up for the police tests, because they are extremely short of people on the list.....
No surprise.
"Come join the NY police force where we will blame you for everything we did and are perpetuating as politicians and now the shit is hitting the fan..."
Appreciate 5
Murf99314114.00
Lady Jane70313.50
Sedan_Clan24976.00
vreihen1615140.50
jmack548.50
      07-05-2021, 06:33 PM   #3680
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Red Light Camera Ticket

I turned right on a late yellow in Beverly Hills, and was surprised when lights flashed before my eyes! I am assuming that I will get a nasty surprise in the mail. I really don’t want a point on my license. I just completed traffic school for speeding… Plus, I heard that the fine can be up to $500.00! I really need to get out of this - if it comes.

So. I read that if I don’t receive my ‘ticket’ within 15 days I am off the hook. Is this true? Also, if they don’t send it registered or return receipt requested, what happens if I just ignore it like a jury summons?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 06:40 PM   #3681
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
I turned right on a late yellow in Beverly Hills, and was surprised when lights flashed before my eyes! I am assuming that I will get a nasty surprise in the mail. I really don't want a point on my license. I just completed traffic school for speeding… Plus, I heard that the fine can be up to $500.00! I really need to get out of this - if it comes.

So. I read that if I don't receive my 'ticket' within 15 days I am off the hook. Is this true? Also, if they don't send it registered or return receipt requested, what happens if I just ignore it like a jury summons?

I wasn't aware we even had operable red light cameras in California anymore (…by operable I mean, actively monitored and penalties assessed). I know many are left operational as a deterrent, but to my knowledge actual citations aren't being issued.

If you ignored the citation the amount of the violation would be sent to collections. I know L.A. County voted the system out, but some cities left them operational while rendering payments "voluntary". Here's a good read on it.

http://www.wacktrap.com/legal/ticket...itches-tickets
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      07-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #3682
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I wasn't aware we even had operable red light cameras in California anymore (…by operable I mean, actively monitored and penalties assessed). I know many are left operational as a deterrent, but to my knowledge actual citations aren't being issued.

If you ignored the citation the amount of the violation would be sent to collections. I know L.A. County voted the system out, but some cities left them operational while rendering payments "voluntary". Here's a good read on it.

LOL @ "voluntary".
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      07-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #3683
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
I turned right on a late yellow in Beverly Hills, and was surprised when lights flashed before my eyes! I am assuming that I will get a nasty surprise in the mail. I really don’t want a point on my license. I just completed traffic school for speeding… Plus, I heard that the fine can be up to $500.00! I really need to get out of this - if it comes.

So. I read that if I don’t receive my ‘ticket’ within 15 days I am off the hook. Is this true? Also, if they don’t send it registered or return receipt requested, what happens if I just ignore it like a jury summons?

maybe someone just wanted a pic of the mad fiddler?
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24976.00
Murf99314114.00
Frupal788.50
      07-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #3684
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for your response and the link. I am tempted to just ignore it, but worry that it will negatively affect my thus far flawless credit score.

Do you have any experience with, or an opinion of the plethora of lawyers advertising ‘Ticket dismissed or your money back! Only $99.00!’?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      07-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #3685
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your response and the link. I am tempted to just ignore it, but worry that it will negatively affect my thus far flawless credit score.

Do you have any experience with, or an opinion of the plethora of lawyers advertising 'Ticket dismissed or your money back! Only $99.00!'?
I don't have any experience with them, but the service they offer is something you can do yourself. All they do is send written correspondence to the entity/court in question.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      07-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #3686
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have any experience with them, but the service they offer is something you can do yourself. All they do is send written correspondence to the entity/court in question.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #3687
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Sedan_Clan you going to be in RideForTheBlue (dot com) on Saturday? If I can find a map, to see just how far away I might be at any one time while on call . . .
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      07-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #3688
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Sedan_Clan you going to be in RideForTheBlue (dot com) on Saturday? If I can find a map, to see just how far away I might be at any one time while on call . . .
Unfortunately I work a double shift Saturday so I will be unable to attend. I would like to see the route map too.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      07-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #3689
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Unfortunately I work a double shift Saturday so I will be unable to attend. I would like to see the route map too.
I emailed the listed address to ask. Starts at Simi Valley City Hall is all I can find so far. Kickstands up at 8, ends at 4. Almost like it's just a group ride with no planned path
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      07-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #3690
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sedan_Clan drinks on me - I owe you a few rounds, at least.

Got pulled over for the first time ever (entirely my fault: 65 in a 45, wasn't noticing) - but I followed your advice: no sudden movements, hands on wheel, not moving, etc - even asked him if I could reach into my pocket to get my license out. Which he allowed me to do - and he went off to run the license.

Long story short, he let me off with a warning.
What I did find intriguing was that he came around the passenger side at all times - I thought it was driver side?
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24976.00
cmyx6go15685.00
mahalom3163.00
      07-06-2021, 06:07 PM   #3691
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

Got pulled over for the first time ever (entirely my fault: 65 in a 45, wasn't noticing) - but I followed your advice: no sudden movements, hands on wheel, not moving, etc - even asked him if I could reach into my pocket to get my license out. Which he allowed me to do.

What I did find intriguing was that he came around the passenger side at all times - I thought it was driver side?
I'm glad that worked out for you. You did everything you could to alleviate any potential issues and it worked. Bravo!

As for tactics….

….ughhhh! I hate passenger side approaches to be honest and we aren't trained that way on my department. I mean, I could make an argument for a passenger side approach (…bullet deflection should the driver shoot out of the back window, concealment on the passenger side of the car, etc.). On the other hand, approaching from the driver's side gives me a front row seat to the immediate area around the driver. I'll take the latter approach all day.
Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      07-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #3692
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

Got pulled over for the first time ever (entirely my fault: 65 in a 45, wasn't noticing) - but I followed your advice: no sudden movements, hands on wheel, not moving, etc - even asked him if I could reach into my pocket to get my license out. Which he allowed me to do - and he went off to run the license.

I’m sure these days it is much appreciated when someone behaves as you did during a traffic stop. I can’t imagine the high alert our men in blue are in every single time they pull someone over.

As far as the passenger side thing, I see it often. I guess it’s a safety thing. No one seems to get they should move into middle lane when LEO has someone pulled over on shoulder. I’m sure you’ve seen the videos of cars plowing into traffic stops.

I applaud you on never getting pulled over. I won’t say how long it’s been for me as my dad would say don’t spit up in the air but in the 42 years I’ve had my license, I’ve been pulled over 5 or 6 times.
Appreciate 4
paquet629.50
Sedan_Clan24976.00
vreihen1615140.50
      07-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #3693
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh good point - I didn't think of that people not slowing down / moving a lane over.
That has to be stressful for them.

But the passenger side was intriguing (as I seemed to recall you mentioning that being a more vulnerable thing)

It was my fault - I didn't notice and I was too excited to be picking up my new shotgun
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24976.00
cmyx6go15685.00
      07-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #3694
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:

I'm sure these days it is much appreciated when someone behaves as you did during a traffic stop. I can't imagine the high alert our men in blue are in every single time they pull someone over.

As far as the passenger side thing, I see it often. I guess it's a safety thing. No one seems to get they should move into middle lane when LEO has someone pulled over on shoulder. I'm sure you've seen the videos of cars plowing into traffic stops.

I applaud you on never getting pulled over. I won't say how long it's been for me as my dad would say don't spit up in the air but in the 42 years I've had my license, I've been pulled over 5 or 6 times.
You're a good driver. Plus, men in blue like fine wine.

Sincerely,

Your Friendly Neighborhood Kiss Ass

P.S. Your lane scenario is a legitimate concern, which is why we are trained to offset the cars when we conduct traffic stops (..e.g…the driver's side tail light is positioned in the middle of my patrol car's push bars) and turn the wheels to the outside. This gives me 4-5 feet of working space should I need to take cover/tactical position and it also serves to offer some protection in the event a drunk driver hits the patrol car. I concede this offset tactic isn't always an option on the freeway, so officers use the passenger side approach. When I worked freeways I ordered the driver to take the next exit.
Appreciate 4
paquet629.50
cmyx6go15685.00
mahalom3163.00
      07-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #3695
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
You're a good driver. Plus, men in blue like fine wine.

Sincerely,

Your Friendly Neighborhood Kiss Ass

P.S. Your lane scenario is a legitimate concern, which is why we are trained to offset the cars when we conduct traffic stops (..e.g…the driver's side tail light is positioned in the middle of my patrol car's push bars) and turn the wheels to the outside. This gives me 4-5 feet of working space should I need to take cover/tactical position and it also serves to offer some protection in the event a drunk driver hits the patrol car. I concede this offset tactic isn't always an option on the freeway, so officers use the passenger side approach. When I worked freeways I ordered the driver to take the next exit.
Except some drivers are morons and they don’t leave you room for a proper approach. The few times I got pulled over, I made sure to pull as far right as I could in a safe wide portion of the shoulder , leaving the officer plenty of room between my drivers side and the traffic lane.

Lol at ass kiss comment.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24976.00
Murf99314114.00
      07-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #3696
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I noticed during my road trips the past two weekends that all of the Virginia interstate traffic stops that I saw had the officer on the passenger side of the car. I don't recall seeing any move-over reminder signs in Virginia, just signs for those magical speed-enforcing aircraft that were de-funded in 2012 or so.....
cmyx6go15685.00