BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #3235
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Any survey with questions like:
"6. The overwhelming majority (almost 90 percent) of officers believe that casualties would be decreased if armed citizens were present at the onset of an active-shooter incident."
...is just a joke. What did you expect the cops to say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
You do realize that is in direct reference to the oft-mentioned pro-gun-control position of "concealed carry permit holders would only cause further confusion if present at a mass shooting, and cops and CCW holders would end up in a shootout and hit further random people only increasing the casualties"?
Quote:
Yes, of course.
Then it should be fairly obvious that it is directly relevant, not a joke, and an attempt to answer a common talking point by one of the major viewpoints involved in the conversation. How do you come to the conclusion the entire survey is a joke when it directly deals with the assumptions lobbed out by gun control supporters? Just because the people surveyed ended up disagreeing en masse with the viewpoint / scenario that was assumed / ascribed to them?
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      05-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #3236
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Lol, duly noted. That's the thing, it's hard to convey stuff by simply posting on a forum and the like. The subject came up before in another discussion but it sure would be nice if people could discuss their differences and share their respective opinions over some beers. That would be a lot more fun and productive.

Hey man I'm really sorry about your cat. If it's the one I'm thinking of he was appreciative of everything you did for him until the final days. Trust me, I know the feeling well and it's hard to get over. You'll probably at least have good memories during the better days.
Ahem! Ahem! Careful what you say there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Littlebear3509.50
upstatedoc7559.50
TiMSport12796.50
      05-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #3237
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Then it should be fairly obvious that it is directly relevant, not a joke, and an attempt to answer a common talking point by one of the major viewpoints involved in the conversation. How do you come to the conclusion the entire survey is a joke when it directly deals with the assumptions lobbed out by gun control supporters? Just because the people surveyed ended up disagreeing en masse with the viewpoint / scenario that was assumed / ascribed to them?
Pls excuse my curt dismissal. But some of the questions seem leading, to say the least. I also think it is sort of like surveying the NRA or the military, ie: if you are a hammer everything looks like a nail.

ex: "8. More than four in five respondents (81 percent) say that gun-buyback programs are ineffective in reducing gun violence."
I don't think they are correct!

I'm sure you have seen recent surveys of the general population regarding gun safety measures?

Last edited by Littlebear; 05-25-2021 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #3238
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Ahem! Ahem! Careful what you say there.
You know you are old when you remember watching Andre the Giant wrestle on TV!

Last edited by Littlebear; 05-25-2021 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17999.00
      05-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #3239
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Pls excuse my curt dismissal. But some of the questions seem leading, to say the least. I also think it is sort of like surveying the NRA or the military, ie: if you are a hammer everything looks like a nail.

I'm sure you have seen recent surveys of the general population regarding gun safety measures?
….oh, you mean the general population that changes their answer(s) depending on what's omitted?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #3240
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
….oh, you mean the general population that changes their answer(s) depending on what's omitted?!?
That's what they do when talking with cops?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:41 PM   #3241
rwheels
Major
Rep

Quote:
You know you are old when you remember watching Andre the Giant wrestle on TV!
On TV? Saw him live in one of the Wrestle Mania events many moons ago. Many of the stars of the time were there, but memory does not help. It was all so "real".
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:47 PM   #3242
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On TV? Saw him live in one of the Wrestle Mania events many moons ago. Many of the stars of the time were there, but memory does not help. It was all so "real".
Wow! How about Bruno Sammartino?
Back then it was way more "real"!
Appreciate 1
rwheels7066.50
      05-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #3243
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Mindless and uninformed. Like lemmings to the flavor of the day trough.

Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      05-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #3244
rwheels
Major
Rep

Remember Sedan; we pay your salary.

Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25086.50
JReis53.50
      05-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #3245
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Mindless and uninformed. Like lemmings to the flavor of the day trough.
Our two countries are based on the wisdom of the masses!
Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #3246
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

ex: "8. More than four in five respondents (81 percent) say that gun-buyback programs are ineffective in reducing gun violence."
I don't think they are correct!

Just quoting this for posterity. On mobile at the moment but good god man. To call this one junk and talk about leading questions…dude. You mean leading questions / junk like intentionally conflating suicides and homicides as “gun deaths”? Or the ever-changing definition of what constitutes a mass shooting to artificially inflate numbers? Or ignoring gang-related shootings and lumping them in? Or broadly attributing everything to “gun violence”?

Believe me, the gun control proponents are far, far worse when it comes to misleading questions, surveys, news articles, etc.

Have some objectivity at least.
Appreciate 3
      05-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #3247
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

I have so many smart ass responses when people say that, as if my own taxes don't pay my salary.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615259.00
JReis53.50
      05-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #3248
rwheels
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have so many smart ass responses when people say that, as if my own taxes don't pay my salary.
Yeah heard it that while in the military, and civil service; yeah our pay is tax free
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      05-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #3249
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah heard it that while in the military, and civil service; yeah our pay is tax free
People like that get a nice long receipt for my services. Lol!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615259.00
Buug95917397.50
      05-25-2021, 08:32 PM   #3250
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:

My God, what a mega bitch
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      05-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #3251
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
So weird. Why escalate the situation when you know you are going to get a ticket anyway? I got off once cause I didn't argue. Cop nailed me early AM on highway 280 flying up towards San Francisco in my 240Z. I was likely doing 90. He asked me how fast I was going and I just said "probably fast enough you gotta write me up".

He laughed and I think cause there was zero traffic and a bright sunny day on a perfect new highway let me off. I was shocked.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #3252
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
So weird. Why escalate the situation when you know you are going to get a ticket anyway? I got off once cause I didn't argue. Cop nailed me early AM on highway 280 flying up towards San Francisco in my 240Z. I was likely doing 90. He asked me how fast I was going and I just said "probably fast enough you gotta write me up".

He laughed and I think cause there was zero traffic and a bright sunny day on a perfect new highway let me off. I was shocked.

I tend to make / support the argument that attitude above all else affects the outcome of an interaction with police. Regardless of whether you are in the right or wrong at that moment, you're at the wrong end of the business to cop an attitude (heh) right then and there.

And yes, there are racist and bigoted power tripping idiots everywhere, including law enforcement, that WILL harass you and do things well beyond the scope of their actual duty and abuse their power and you. Don't like it? Change the laws and hiring practices, protest, sign petitions, all that good stuff...but don't start fighting him and his buddies when you're woefully outgunned, outnumbered, out-radioed, whatever.

I feel like as shitty as it is, the majority of situations currently tearing our country apart could have been negated by a simple mutual respect / respect of law enforcement / authority.

Think of it this way - police are the customer service division of the government. When you go into a store and rage and demand a refund, you might get your refund and that's it...or the store might hold fast to some little loophole that denies you everything and charges you anyway for an extra fine. On the flip side, if you make nice with the customer service agent who has to put up with 1,000 screaming raging assholes a day, he might be a lot more like this:

Now, apply that to the side of the road...selective enforcement might suck as an overall trend and be shitty and unfair, but, well...if you KNOW that's the name of the game why would you choose the worst possible outcome? That's not the time or place to have your day in court, and worse yet, you might not even get a day in court.

Caveats, exceptions, YMMV, etc may apply. Obviously speaking in broad terms and there are counterexamples to everything.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25086.50
paquet629.50
jamesinaz1643.50
      05-26-2021, 05:11 AM   #3253
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just quoting this for posterity. On mobile at the moment but good god man. To call this one junk and talk about leading questions…dude. You mean leading questions / junk like intentionally conflating suicides and homicides as “gun deaths”? Or the ever-changing definition of what constitutes a mass shooting to artificially inflate numbers? Or ignoring gang-related shootings and lumping them in? Or broadly attributing everything to “gun violence”?

Believe me, the gun control proponents are far, far worse when it comes to misleading questions, surveys, news articles, etc.

Have some objectivity at least.
I didn't know this was a comparison question. I was treating the survey as a stand-alone.
As such, I found it obvious. I'm sure others who aren't as familiar with the issues will find it more helpful.
I understand your dislike of the TV-talk you listed above. It's nothing you can go by.

Let's both now attack the stock market, NorCal!

Last edited by Littlebear; 05-26-2021 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:20 AM   #3254
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:

If your income is entirely from your job as a cop, then no, you don't pay taxes or your own salary.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:27 AM   #3255
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:

Wonder what music she started playing for it to be blanked out
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #3256
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
I always thought the perfect response for a cop that is told "we pay your salary" was - "thanks. Doing my best right now to earn it".
Appreciate 2