10-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M6 F06

Cheap downpipe question

Hi guys,
I've found some cheap no-brand downpipe for the M6.
The cheapest (~200€/~220$) are just made from pieces of stainless steel soldered together.
People reported that the downpipe have a good fitment and the quality is fine.

Some branded downpipe (and a little more expensive ~300€/~330$) have the flex-coupling element that allow the downpipe to move without transmitting vibrations to the rest of the exhaust system (sorry I don't remember the technical term of this piece at the moment).
The same feedback was reported for this type of downpipe.

What do you guys reccomend from personal experience?

The original catalitic converter doesn't have any flex-coupling element, nor the rest of the exhaust system.
It seems that a down-pipe with the flex part allow for simple installation because you can move/slide/turn the thing just a tiny amount to help the fitment, but as said no one have complained about the fixed design.

Just to be completely clear: I don't want to spend over 500€/550$ for a couple of stainless steel tubes. Company out there that produces downpipe and exhaust system seems that correlate: M6 owner = dumb people with a lot of money to spend for aftermarket parts.

Thanks

Last edited by Aliendex; 10-05-2019 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: Added information
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

It turns out that this cheap downpipe are actually good or even better that some other expensive ones.
Alignment was perfect and no need to cut the original heat-shield for the O2 sensors.

250€...god bless aliexpress
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

they have been around for some time now so fitment should be good. they essentially are all copies now. i recommend using the DEI heat wrap on them though to minimize engine bay temperatures. nice work!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Airz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Sakhir Coupe

Which seller did you buy from on Aliexpress? Do you have a link?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
JohnLM6`
Rep
Drives: 2012 F12

Buy a pair of used oem downpipes (or use the ones you already have) . Take a drill and a 1" drillbit and get rid of the media.
Boom, catless downpipes with perfect fitment and no need for heat wrap because they are already double walled.
I did it and couldn't be happier
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLM6` View Post
Buy a pair of used oem downpipes (or use the ones you already have) . Take a drill and a 1" drillbit and get rid of the media.
Boom, catless downpipes with perfect fitment and no need for heat wrap because they are already double walled.
you could probably still heat wrap them to pull even more heat out of the engine bay but that works too.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 04:53 AM   #7
Airz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Sakhir Coupe

Quote:
Used OEM downpipes over here in the UK are at least as expensive as catless downpipes and I couldn't gut my own as they are needed for the yearly inspection which tests emissions. If it fails that test it's no longer legally allowed to be driven on the road so that's a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #8
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Quote:
Got any sound clips for us JohnLM6` ?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airz View Post
Which seller did you buy from on Aliexpress? Do you have a link?
Here it is:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280...4b514c4dzT6A2z
You can see my feedback with photos under the item.

Now I'm waiting for the heat wrap to be shipped: just need to take apart everything again

Next step is to cut off the center silencer under the car and put two straight pipes to remove the last bit of occlusion

Right now i'm pretty satisfied with the sound, it does scream and bang at every rpm (even without a tune and with CEL on) with the comfort of the valves which, when closed, leave the car as it would have the original downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Often wonder why the massive price tag for a bit of welded tubing, have to say the same for the expensive cold air intakes that basically run a pipe to fit filters behind the front grills.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

Small update:
The exhaust wrap finally arrived at my home.

Not sure how to say that... the sound after the wrapping is more deep and less rough as before. Maybe the wrap not only help with the heat but also change the resonating frequency of the pipe.

Last edited by Aliendex; 02-27-2020 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #12
936F06
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Aliendex Thank you sir I will be ordering soon!
On the other hand how are you doing with all this that's going on where you are?
The media is one thing here in the US. How is it over on your side of the world?
#StrongItaly
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 936F06 View Post
Aliendex Thank you sir I will be ordering soon!
On the other hand how are you doing with all this that's going on where you are?
The media is one thing here in the US. How is it over on your side of the world?
#StrongItaly
Hi!
We are all in quarantine, apart from the essential services and factories , like supermarket, pharmacies and so on.
I work in one of the few companies still open, i'm an electrician

We are decreasing the number of infected people, or rather: the number of infected people is rising less than a few weeks ago. Hoping the best...
Thank you for your kind words
Appreciate 1
DRKNTM615.50
      04-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
BLACK KILLER
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW'16 M6GC

Garage List
Can u tell what spoiler have you on the trunk lid. Can you show more photos and where did you buy it?

[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #15
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK KILLER View Post
Can u tell what spoiler have you on the trunk lid. Can you show more photos and where did you buy it?
Hi, it's made from maxton. Nothing special, it's really small but cheaper than you may expect.

https://maxtondesign.com/product-eng...upe-MPACK.html
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #16
BLACK KILLER
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW'16 M6GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendex View Post
Quote:
Hi, it's made from maxton. Nothing special, it's really small but cheaper than you may expect.

https://maxtondesign.com/product-eng-1214-SPOILER-CAP-BMW-6-Gran-Coupe-MPACK.html
Quote:
Quote:

https://maxtondesign.com/product-eng...upe-MPACK.html
thank you brother. I know this site. it is made in poland and is cheap. I don't like the V spoiler from the forsteiner. I like the styling from the M8. if I'm not mistaken this spoiler is a replica of the small spoiler from the M8. Can you take several photos from different angles. how it looks on your car. ?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #17
NytWolf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10, 2015 F30, 2008 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKPRIOR View Post
Often wonder why the massive price tag for a bit of welded tubing, have to say the same for the expensive cold air intakes that basically run a pipe to fit filters behind the front grills.
While a lot of the pricing is dependent on demand vs supply, you still have to factor in the cost of materials and fitment.

In order to get proper fitment, the builder needs to build a jig on which to build the product. Proper fitment requires care in the jig build.

On materials, exhaust temperatures tend to run hot -- even hotter on turbo vehicles. Mild steel will easily melt, where as stainless and inconel can handle higher temperatures. Did you mention titanium? The better the metal, the more expensive the material costs and welding technique required. As a customer, you wouldn't want your pipe or welds to melt, not to mention longevity. Your vernacular would be full of four-letter words if you find yourself having to replace downpipes every few thousand miles let alone having alignment issues during installation.

Quote:
Small update:
The exhaust wrap finally arrived at my home.

Not sure how to say that... the sound after the wrapping is more deep and less rough as before. Maybe the wrap not only help with the heat but also change the resonating frequency of the pipe.
Think of it as a muffling effect. When you wrap the pipes, it insulates the sound and only the deeper sounds come through. When someone plays loud music in the room next door, you can hear only the bass (low frequencies) until you open the door, at which you will hear the mids and highs.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:19 AM   #18
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
thank you brother. I know this site. it is made in poland and is cheap. I don't like the V spoiler from the forsteiner. I like the styling from the M8. if I'm not mistaken this spoiler is a replica of the small spoiler from the M8. Can you take several photos from different angles. how it looks on your car. ?
Without going too much off-topic, I will send you the photos in pm this evening
Btw yes, it looks a lot like the M8 spoiler but it's not a replica based on that one, because Maxton was producing this spoiler many years before it came out even a rendering of the M8.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:21 AM   #19
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post

Think of it as a muffling effect. When you wrap the pipes, it insulates the sound and only the deeper sounds come through. When someone plays loud music in the room next door, you can hear only the bass (low frequencies) until you open the door, at which you will hear the mids and highs.
Thank you, I was aware of that.
The sound is much more nicer with the heat wrap, IMHO.
Appreciate 0