BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #1
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

S63tu Forged engine build

Hey Guys ,got some pics to share on the engine rebuild for my M6,
Anyway it turns out I damaged a piston due to a lean condition from a failed fuel injector , Yeah, Failed injector=Lean condition=Tuned=Boom.My engine had 36k miles on it the rod bearings were fine and no bent connecting rods.

The messed up thing is I had a Black stone oil analysis done when the engine was smoking and it came back good which lead me to believe it was a Turbo and some bad diagnostic from another shop, that said these turbos always go bad its very common on the S63tu he couldn't have been more wrong, and being on the forums never really heard of our turbos failing ,just waste gate rattle. I will load more pics when I get more (The pics below are from the old motor)

The build is going to consist of:
Rebuilt cylinder heads
CP Carillo Forged rods and pistons(balanced)
Custom crank bearing clearance and bearings
Fabworx wrapped downpipes
Stage 1 Pure Turbos
SSP Spec R clutch
JB4 Bluetooth controller for Maps and Meth
JB4 Methanol kit
DME custom tune
Methanol tank (not sure what tank yet)
Project Gamma Charge coolers
Project Gamma Charge pipes
Project Gamma intakes
Attached Images

2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals

Last edited by Whipple; 03-05-2021 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 4
MMMM6GC275.00
Flo1989342.00
DRKNTM615.50
      03-05-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Thanks for the data point - valuable info for users on here. And WOW, what a missile your M6 will be. Can't wait to see updates as it comes together!
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      03-05-2021, 09:01 PM   #3
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

I'll be following this one. I too will soon be going down this road. Not quite as beastly as your setup, but stout.
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      03-05-2021, 10:32 PM   #4
NGROSSO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6

Sorry to hear it and best of luck. Any opinion on the full meistershaft system? I was thinking of a similar set up.

Last edited by NGROSSO; 03-11-2021 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      03-05-2021, 11:09 PM   #5
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

What’s your bill looking like ?
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      03-06-2021, 02:57 AM   #6
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Crazy that the piston skirt broke like that. What tune/mods did you have on the motor before the bang? Which injector # was that? Any indications before?
Appreciate 2
Whipple260.50
MMMM6GC275.00
      03-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #7
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
That is hard to look at but sincerely appreciate your sharing the intel. Do you know if the injector was/is covered under the batch that resulted in the extended coverage from bmw? More importantly is there a way to watch for this in the future.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 2
Whipple260.50
MMMM6GC275.00
      03-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Thanks for the data point - valuable info for users on here. And WOW, what a missile your M6 will be. Can't wait to see updates as it comes together!
Thanks man,I will share what I know hopefully it helps other users out
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 04:31 PM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGROSSO View Post
What a build! Best of luck. Any prior videos with the fabworx DP’s and meistershaft system? I was thinking of the same set up.
I have the full meistershaft exhaust ,I love it,I get alot of compliment on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagmail View Post
What’s your bill looking like ?
2020 Honda civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
Crazy that the piston skirt broke like that. What tune/mods did you have on the motor before the bang? Which injector # was that? Any indications before?
Not the first time I seen the pistons break the cast pistons can't take a hard knock its either that or a bent connecting rod leading to bad crank bearing

DME stage 3 ,DP,exhaust,intakes ,its from a bad injector so this can happen to stock tune on a hard pull,I had the DME Tune for 2 years no problems, its the crappy injectors fault

Its was cylinder #8

The only indication I had was it started to smoke oil from the exhaust but very little got much worse over the next week or 2 and its not my daily ,I was doing some hard pulls too I can't believe it didn't explode ,the engine was running when it got to the shop
But yeah,no check engine light ,no drive train malfunction ,started right up ,no hesitation or rough idle just smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
That is hard to look at but sincerely appreciate your sharing the intel. Do you know if the injector was/is covered under the batch that resulted in the extended coverage from bmw? More importantly is there a way to watch for this in the future.
Im not sure about the bad injector batch, my car was tuned they wouldn't help me anyway,Be lucky if they help you when its stock, I wear the shirt that says,YES I VOID MY WARRANTY

There really is know way to watch for this, the only way to help is to have your injectors changed at 40K miles to play it safe,it might even be less than that I will find out

Last edited by Whipple; 03-06-2021 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      03-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #10
eagmail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
I have the full meistershaft exhaust ,I love it,I get alot of compliment on it

2020 Honda civic

Not the first time I seen the pistons break the cast pistons can't take a hard knock its either that or a bent connecting rod leading to bad crank bearing

DME stage 3 ,DP,exhaust,intakes ,its from a bad injector so this can happen to stock tune on a hard pull,I had the DME Tune for 2 years no problems, its the crappy injectors fault

Its was cylinder #8

The only indication I had was it started to smoke oil from the exhaust but very little got much worse over the next week or 2 and its not my daily ,I was doing some hard pulls too I can't believe it didn't explode ,the engine was running when it got to the shop
But yeah,no check engine light ,no drive train malfunction ,started right up ,no hesitation or rough idle just smoke

Im not sure about the bad injector batch, my car was tuned they wouldn't help me anyway,Be lucky if they help you when its stock, I wear the shirt that says,YES I VOID MY WARRANTY

There really is know way watch for this, the only way to help is to have your injectors changed at 40K miles to play it safe,it might even be less than that I will find out

Around 20k for clutches and engine built labor everything?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 05:46 PM   #11
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the CP Carillo rods and pistons, the rings are designed for the Alusil cylinders,The cylinder wall must be recoated /refinished before there installed.I believe a couple years ago you had to install steel sleeves in the block in order to run a forged piston .
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-06-2021, 07:31 PM   #12
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is the CP Carillo rods and pistons, the rings are designed for the Alusil cylinders,The cylinder wall must be recoated /refinished before there installed.I believe a couple years ago you had to install steel sleeves in the block in order to run a forged piston .
Congrats on the new Civic. I suppose after reading your comment about the injectors I better start planning for new injectors before I have buy a civic too.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      03-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #13
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on the new Civic. I suppose after reading your comment about the injectors I better start planning for new injectors before I have buy a civic too.
You just did a rebuild ? They should have changed them , mine were included in the build ,I’m surprised if they would build a new engine with old injectors
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 08:37 AM   #14
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You just did a rebuild ? They should have changed them , mine were included in the build ,I’m surprised if they would build a new engine with old injectors
They didn't, and now I wish I would have pushed for it. I have a feeling that this project is going to require some considerable efforting.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #15
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:

Damn those are pretty! Coming from the old setup of DME Stage 3, what power #'s are you looking for now?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #16
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing View Post
Damn those are pretty! Coming from the old setup of DME Stage 3, what power #'s are you looking for now?
The engine itself is rated for 1300hp,but I want to keep it safe now and there going to do

Map 1 650whp 93octane+Meth for cooling
Map2 700whp 93octane+ Meth for cooling and octane boost
Map3 750whp Race gas + Meth

These number will be done on a Mustang Dyno,there just estimate numbers I will get the exact numbers when there done ,on the race gas file they will max out the stage 1 turbos probably close to 800whp ,I really dont want to push it and keep it safe and conservative
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #17
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Went with red valve covers ,can't see them that good once all crap gets put on
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DRKNTM615.50
MMMM6GC275.00
      03-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #18
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6

Super dope build. Can't wait to see it in person 💪🏼.
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      03-09-2021, 10:57 PM   #19
Petepacman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
They didn't, and now I wish I would have pushed for it. I have a feeling that this project is going to require some considerable efforting.
I just had my engine replaced by BMW and they didn’t replace injectors either 😒 I’m at 32k miles so I’m a little nervous. They just transferred them
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #20
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Curious if there is any benefit to ceramic coating the exhaust/turbo manifold.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 07:18 AM   #21
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
That looks great!
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      03-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #22
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepacman View Post
I just had my engine replaced by BMW and they didn’t replace injectors either 😒 I’m at 32k miles so I’m a little nervous. They just transferred them
If your stock I wouldn't be to worried but you should think about changing them at 40k to play it safe ,change the spark plugs while your in there
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00