08-26-2020, 02:34 AM   #1
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

squealing sound

Hello everyone,

Is it common to have the squealing sound when brake? I only take my car out like once or twice a week and I started to notice more squealing sound coming from braking from the front side. I barely put any miles on it since I purchased and I have a lot of life on the pad.

I heard ppl saying it's given with the OEM brake pad but just want to make sure this isn't something else.. so only way to cure this is to replace it with different pads?

Update: not carbon ceramic brake

Last edited by Infiniteflow; 08-26-2020 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 04:12 AM   #2
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
Hello everyone,

Is it common to have the squealing sound when brake? I only take my car out like once or twice a week and I started to notice more squealing sound coming from braking from the front side. I barely put any miles on it since I purchased and I have a lot of life on the pad.

I heard ppl saying it's given with the OEM brake pad but just want to make sure this isn't something else.. so only way to cure this is to replace it with different pads?
I am guessing you have the Carbon ceramic brake, so its normal. It sounds like a train about to stop
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6Roar View Post
I am guessing you have the Carbon ceramic brake, so its normal. It sounds like a train about to stop
It's not the ceramic brake
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Have you taken the pads out to inspect? There is a chance that one or more of the brakes could have engaged and didn't back all the way off and pad has worn down to the tattletale on the back plate of the pad.

If you can have someone stand street side while you drive by slowly to see if they can audibly isolate which side and whether it is front or back.

Check to make sure nothing is trapped between the brake caliper/bracket and wheel. I thought I had read somewhere that early models had an issue with caliper clearance from the wheels so look for any signs of etching inside the rim, this might have been related to CCB's on another F model though.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:32 AM   #5
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
It's not the ceramic brake
I have the cast iron rotors as well. At times, I'm convinced the sound of my brakes turns more heads than my actual exhaust does...
I'm sure it has to do with brake dust build up. 99% of the time the squealing is relieved post pressure wash for me. Try thoroughly cleaning your wheels and particularly your rotors / calipers.
It's completely normal given their size.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 01:16 AM   #6
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
I have the cast iron rotors as well. At times, I'm convinced the sound of my brakes turns more heads than my actual exhaust does...
I'm sure it has to do with brake dust build up. 99% of the time the squealing is relieved post pressure wash for me. Try thoroughly cleaning your wheels and particularly your rotors / calipers.
It's completely normal given their size.
OK I will try doing that. I have all the detailing stuff and pressure washer that have not been open for more than a month now. Too busy with business and have not had a chance to wash the car and the car is rarely driven so just didn't see much need to wash.

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 07:12 AM   #7
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Anyone found a really good product for cleaning rotors?

I use the Car Guys cleaner: it works amazing on the dust/grime on the wheels and barrels but does not take care of the stubborn buildup of brake dust on the rotors themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Anyone found a really good product for cleaning rotors?

I use the Car Guys cleaner: it works amazing on the dust/grime on the wheels and barrels but does not take care of the stubborn buildup of brake dust on the rotors themselves.
It is time intensive but I remove the rotors on my wife 2013 F10 twice a year. I rinse everything with water first, then dawn and water, sometimes I'll use CLR then rinse again. The only time I have heard her brakes squeal was from the left rear pads wore out much faster than the right rear and she got down to metal backing.

I have CCB's on my F06 and it sounds like a busted up donk when rolling up to a red light. Usually after a soap and water wash they'll shut up for a while.

Hopefully some other folks will chime in on their methods for cleaning and reducing brake dust adhesion. I'd like to spend less time on her wheels when washing her car.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0