BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-31-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Ergonomic Desk/Office Chairs

Back story: My upper back, basically right in-between my shoulder blades, have been aching for upwards of two months now. Best way I can describe it, is the constant feeling of having to crack my upper back. Anyways I have been trying my best to be conscious about my posture. I've also been sleeping without a pillow as I heard that it may help align your spine to an extent. I'm a back sleeper, so it really isn't that uncomfortable in my eyes. I've even dedicated at least 1 day a week to some yoga-like stretching focused on my upper back. Even after all of that, I still wake up with the same tightness each morning. It progressively dissipates throughout the day, but is still there regardless.

My next thought is changing up my desk chair for something that will provide more lower lumbar support in the attempt to straighten out my posture (which I really don't think is that bad, I've never had anyone say to me that my posture is bad - I'm also fairly fit, ~180lbs 5'10"). I work roughly 10hrs a day, and I'd say I am at my desk roughly 7-8 of those hrs. So to get to the point, does anyone have any ergonomic office chairs that they would recommend? I've done some digging online, but would rather hear some actual opinions, especially if someone has similar discomfort.

Much appreciated!

Side Note: I have not discounted the fact that my mattress could be the issue, but I'm working through the problem moving from least expensive to most expensive fix. No I have not been to a chiropractor, maybe I should.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Back story: My upper back, basically right in-between my shoulder blades, have been aching for upwards of two months now. Best way I can describe it, is the constant feeling of having to crack my upper back. Anyways I have been trying my best to be conscious about my posture. I've also been sleeping without a pillow as I heard that it may help align your spine to an extent. I'm a back sleeper, so it really isn't that uncomfortable in my eyes. I've even dedicated at least 1 day a week to some yoga-like stretching focused on my upper back. Even after all of that, I still wake up with the same tightness each morning. It progressively dissipates throughout the day, but is still there regardless.

My next thought is changing up my desk chair for something that will provide more lower lumbar support in the attempt to straighten out my posture (which I really don't think is that bad, I've never had anyone say to me that my posture is bad - I'm also fairly fit, ~180lbs 5'10"). I work roughly 10hrs a day, and I'd say I am at my desk roughly 7-8 of those hrs. So to get to the point, does anyone have any ergonomic office chairs that they would recommend? I've done some digging online, but would rather hear some actual opinions, especially if someone has similar discomfort.

Much appreciated!

Side Note: I have not discounted the fact that my mattress could be the issue, but I'm working through the problem moving from least expensive to most expensive fix. No I have not been to a chiropractor, maybe I should.
I feel your pain. My back hurts in the exact same location. Always assumed it was the trap exercises that caused it. Our work days sound identical. I have not tried any form of an ergonomic chair or changed mattresses yet but I have been using a back massager with heat. That helps considerably.

Sub'd for ideas
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I've used some simple Herman Miller Chairs and all kinds of newer office chairs with contoured seat bottom and seat back curvature - I'm not convinced contemporary ergo is better then any 19th century seat design.
Now I'm using a 80+ year old wooden chair with a flat seat and thin upholstery and a flat seatback. Maybe it's the height and no wheels but I've been very comfortable.

For myself need to be conscious of keeping my back straight when at my desk and not letting my stomach collapse behind my hips. I also think it's nice to switch chairs throughout the day.

I had a nerve injury down my left leg that was irritating me when seated, but just received a new mattress on Tuesday and my leg pain has subsided.

Last edited by overcoil; 07-31-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614904.50
      07-31-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
I feel your pain. My back hurts in the exact same location. Always assumed it was the trap exercises that caused it. Our work days sound identical. I have not tried any form of an ergonomic chair or changed mattresses yet but I have been using a back massager with heat. That helps considerably.

Sub'd for ideas
Yeah man, it's brutal. I discounted the trap/back exercise as the problem as my lifting regimen hasn't changed (at least much) in years. My chair has changed in the last year (new job), so just trying to connect dots where I can haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I've used some simple Herman Miller Chairs and all kinds of newer office chairs with contoured seat bottom and seat back curvature - I'm not convinced contemporary ergo is better then any 19th century seat design.
Now I'm using a 80+ year old wooden chair with a flat seat and thin upholstery and a flat setback. Maybe it's the height and no wheels but I've been very comfortable.

For myself need to be conscious of keeping my back straight when at my desk and not letting my stomach collapse behind my hips. I also think it's nice to switch chairs throughout the day.

I had a nerve injury down my left leg that was irritating me when seated, but just received a new form mattress on Tuesday and my leg pain has subsided.
I'd love a Herman Miller chair, but I doubt my company will sling out $1,000 for a chair lol. Agree that we need to be conscious of posture as we work, I've been doing that myself.

I had a sciatic nerve injury a few years ago that lasted for roughly 6months, took awhile to rehab that away. At my previous job, and around the same time the injury happened, the person who worked in that cube before me left one of those kneeling chairs. As odd as they look, it definitely helped subside the pain throughout the day. It takes some pressure off the nerve which is most likely why you (and I) had the pain rushing down your leg. I would switch between that and my normal office chair.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Can you share about your pillow? I can't tell you how much I've spent in pillows over the last 6-8 months and they all suck.

Also, I've been having a tightness in my back right below my shoulder blades (lats area) when I wake up. I work out consistently and always stretch after. I try to do yoga at least once a week. I'm wondering if it's my tempurpedic mattress. After I'm up moving around it doesn't bother me.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Similar issues here. I ended up buying a standing desk which has helped out significantly. I now do about 50% stand, 50% sit.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:35 PM   #7
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Do you type a lot? Do you have broad shoulders? Standard keyboards aren't really friendly for those who have broad shoulders and in order to get both hands on the board, would require an uncomfortable about of squeezing your arms together. A split design keyboard might help.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Can you share about your pillow? I can't tell you how much I've spent in pillows over the last 6-8 months and they all suck.

Also, I've been having a tightness in my back right below my shoulder blades (lats area) when I wake up. I work out consistently and always stretch after. I try to do yoga at least once a week. I'm wondering if it's my tempurpedic mattress. After I'm up moving around it doesn't bother me.
In regards to the pillow, I'm not using one. Just head straight on the mattress, which has actually helped to an extent. But achyness is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Similar issues here. I ended up buying a standing desk which has helped out significantly. I now do about 50% stand, 50% sit.
Yeah, I miss my standing desk from my old job. I use to do the same thing, stand roughly half the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
Do you type a lot? Do you have broad shoulders? Standard keyboards aren't really friendly for those who have broad shoulders and in order to get both hands on the board, would require an uncomfortable about of squeezing your arms together. A split design keyboard might help.
Yes I type a lot, fairly broad shoulders as well. I have not noticed any discomfort with the typing, but now that you mention it, when I place my hands further a part my shoulders are more relaxed. Interesting... Maybe I'll see if work wants to get me a new keyboard too haha.
Appreciate 1
pz6193275.50
      07-31-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVV View Post
Try to hang on the horizontal bar and push your head&neck forward till the end. You will hear a cracking sound. This is a good stretching that helps me.
I've done basically any stretch you can think of. Hell over the weekend I somehow ended up with my head and right shoulder pined against the ground, left arm forward with right arm reaching underneath, with my left leg off the ground. I can barely type it that is how damn contorted I was lmao. The stretching is more of a temporary relief, regardless it comes back. Appreciate the comment though!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

I spoke with our purchasing agent and she did some digging around. She ordered me the below chair. Reviews were great and looks to have a ton of adjustability. Aesthetically it looks nice too. Bad news is the delivery might be close to a month . Once I get it I'll do a little review, but in the meantime I'd still be interested in what others have chosen!

https://www.autonomous.ai/office-cha...ir?option20=53
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

How about a lumbar support attachment you can attach to most chairs?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:59 PM   #12
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

@JP10 oops read that wrong. Sorry about that.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      07-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #13
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I finally bought my dream chair after years of putting it off. BTW, the prices listed are no where near reality. If you buy through the web site it's ~25% off. If you call your local HS office its significantly less than that.

https://www.humanscale.com/products/...xecutive-chair

As for Herman Miller. I used one in work and "for me" it was HORRIBLE. If I did not sit in the Aeron perfectly it was the most uncomfortable chair on the planet.

Last edited by omasou; 07-31-2020 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I got an AllSteel chair at the beginning of the quarantine since I know I like the extra lumbar support and absolutely love it. I customized it for my visual preferences and it is built like a tank. Then again it has a decent price tag as well.

https://www.allsteeloffice.com/produ...task-chairs/19

Out with the old and in with the new!
Attached Images

2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #15
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I finally bought my dream chair after years of putting it off. BTW, the prices listed are no where near reality. If you buy through the web site it's ~25% off. If you call your local HS office its significantly less than that.

As for Herman Miller. I used one in work and "for me" it was HORRIBLE. If I did not sit in the Aeron perfectly it was the most uncomfortable chair on the planet.
I can only dream. My cats would eat that thing to pieces in a day, then I'd have to kill them.
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      07-31-2020, 08:32 PM   #16
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Bought a Herman Miller Mirra 2 for home after liking it in the corporate office, no regerts. I'm a big guy and I like the option I added to have a variable recline tension, but can also lock it out if I want to.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:11 PM   #17
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

I sat in more chairs than I care to admit when getting new furniture for my office. This is in my opinion by far the best 'executive' office chair.

the Diffrient model is also really good. It's what we used for most of our chairs. and everyone that sits in one the first time comments on the comfort.

https://www.humanscale.com/products/...k-office-chair
JP102462.00
      07-31-2020, 09:29 PM   #18
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

+1 for herman miller, and also got a standing desk for WFH.

If you dont want to pay full price for a HM, check if there are any Design Within Reach outlets near you. If not, maybe try calling one to see if they'd ship you a HM. Able to get them there for at least 50% off, maybe even more if theres a minor imperfection on the chair.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      07-31-2020, 10:37 PM   #19
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I asked about office chairs a few days ago as well. I was told that gamer's chairs were the most comfortable ones .Styling wise I don't find them very restrained, subdued or something that's suitable for office but rather designed for upstart hipsters but those things were comfortable given the fact that gamers sit and spend too many hours during games and need some comfort .
Those chairs come with many adjustable options as well as lots of padding options available
      07-31-2020, 10:42 PM   #20
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I have an Aeron, it's fine. Not great, and not bad. It's rugged and solid, a good feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:57 AM   #21
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Ru on a computer all day ? Watch the arm positioning. Should be 90 degrees.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      08-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #22
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I just recently emerged from this particular rabbit hole on home office ergonomics. Read up a bit, but there's all these articles that talk about proper seating position, angles of your legs, elbows and spine, adjustable keyboard trays to get your forearms and wrists in the right alignment, monitor position relative to your eyes, and other stuff.

My wife and I both ended up with Humanscales as well. Diffrient World for her, Freedom for me. We sat in all the Humanscale and Herman Miller chairs. Which is a pain in the ass (pun) during a pandemic, but you really need to for a purchase like this.

Tbh what I really wanted was the Herman Miller soft pad because it looked so nice, but ergonomically the Freedom was the right choice. Only problem is I have to wait 4 damn weeks to get it 😡
Appreciate 1