BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
XSTAR_007
Private
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Tune Question given Aftermarket Extended Warranty

Folks-

I'm wrestling with the decision to tune my M6GC. My biggest hesitation is that my car has an aftermarket warranty and in the event IF something major happened I wouldn't want them denying a claim. I'm not sure how detailed they would check if you have something you can remove easily back to stock. I've looked at Mission Performance or Dinan as an example. Do all tunes still leave a trail regardless or is there an option that would go undetected? Also not sure how in depth these companies check as they mostly would rely on feedback form the shop to approve/deny I presume.

Any feedback/experience/recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
quick6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

I just tuned my M6 and thought about it long and hard. I chose to go with a more moderate tune from VF Engineering, stage 1 with 612 whp or about 720hp at the crank. Its plenty fast and I'm not worried about the motor blowing up.
Just let it warm up before redlining-don't beat on the car and you should be fine.

The law says that any failure must be traceable to an aftermarket tune or part. For example, if your fuel pump goes or rod bearings, they'd be hard pressed to prove a tune was directly responsible for the failure. There is some risk, without a doubt and I also have an aftermarket warranty. The VF tune also lets one put it back to stock before visiting a dealer for service but if you are truly anxious, don't tune the car.
Its a risk, but not huge as there are thousands of BMWs running around with tunes.

P.S check out some of the responses to "High Mileage M6's check in" post and there are a lot of older, M6's with high mileage and tunes.

Last edited by quick6; 12-29-2019 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: additional information
Appreciate 0