BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #3477
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Until I fall out of love with CD's (which probably won't happen anytime in the near future) then yes it's the slot for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #3478
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Man I don’t download shit anymore and I recall waiting hours for one song on Naps… errrr, iTunes….?

Just Bluetooth or if you must hardwire for lossless audio I still stream only. Gone are my days of the download.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12792.50
vreihen1615134.50
      09-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #3479
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Man I don’t download shit anymore and I recall waiting hours for one song on Naps… errrr, iTunes….?

Just Bluetooth or if you must hardwire for lossless audio I still stream only. Gone are my days of the download.

I download FLAC files if I like the particular track enough and willing to actually pay for it. Yes, I pay for my music downloads whereas I know some that don't. Lol. I enjoy streaming like the next guy but when I'm in my car especially, I don't want to rely on streaming.

It's funny because I never used Napster back in the day and didn't really understand what all the fuss was about. Much like another member here I really liked having a physical CD in hand. One day I kind of felt forced into getting an iPod because a previous car (Infiniti) came with (at that time) a proprietary cable in conjunction with the audio system. I was pissed because it wouldn't work with my MP3 player at the time so I gave in and bought an iPod Classic. I hated using iTunes but didn't have much choice. I don't use anything Apple except for my Mac Book Pro on occasion. Those days are long gone now. I don't even think FLAC works with Apple products but not sure? The equivalent would be a WAV file if I'm not mistaken but I think they're even a bit larger in size which is a pain.

I think one of these days M5Rick will cave and go to the dark side once he realizes the convenience albeit many years later.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #3480
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Until I fall out of love with CD's (which probably won't happen anytime in the near future) then yes it's the slot for me.
Rick likes the "slot". Hmm.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #3481
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:

I download FLAC files if I like the particular track enough and willing to actually pay for it. Yes, I pay for my music downloads whereas I know some that don't. Lol. I enjoy streaming like the next guy but when I'm in my car especially, I don't want to rely on streaming.

It's funny because I never used Napster back in the day and didn't really understand what all the fuss was about. Much like another member here I really liked having a physical CD in hand. One day I kind of felt forced into getting an iPod because a previous car (Infiniti) came with (at that time) a proprietary cable in conjunction with the audio system. I was pissed because it wouldn't work with my MP3 player at the time so I gave in and bought an iPod Classic. I hated using iTunes but didn't have much choice. I don't use anything Apple except for my Mac Book Pro on occasion. Those days are long gone now. I don't even think FLAC works with Apple products but not sure? The equivalent would be a WAV file if I'm not mistaken but I think they're even a bit larger in size which is a pain.

I think one of these days M5Rick will cave and go to the dark side once he realizes the convenience albeit many years later.
It's rare but I also pay for music when I like it. As in I'll buy a cd or digital download once a year or so.

I do pay for my streaming services and artists have a say whether their music is on there. Different talk show I know, but gone are my days or Napster and limewire etc.

I'm a man of certain calculated excess. Basically, I don't like the limitations that polarity two choice options give. I have three music service subscriptions, four gym memberships and have at one time, wait for it, had an android and iPhone

That said, I like my spotify most and it allows offline mode so there is no relying on network, which also doesn't seem to let me down. I still have a 100 case cd "wallet" I recall lugging over the back seat ten times a day but it collects dust in a closet now.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12792.50
      09-03-2021, 10:11 AM   #3482
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
It's rare but I also pay for music when I like it. As in I'll buy a cd or digital download once a year or so.

I do pay for my streaming services and artists have a say whether their music is on there. Different talk show I know, but gone are my days or Napster and limewire etc.

I'm a man of certain calculated excess. Basically, I don't like the limitations that polarity two choice options give. I have three music service subscriptions, four gym memberships and have at one time, wait for it, had an android and iPhone

That said, I like my spotify most and it allows offline mode so there is no relying on network, which also doesn't seem to let me down. I still have a 100 case cd "wallet" I recall lugging over the back seat ten times a day but it collects dust in a closet now.
Lol, you be crazy man!

I have become a fan of Amazon's music service. I guess it's called Amazon Music HD nowadays. It is very reasonably priced now that they have lowered the price and has a gigantic library of music in HD or Ultra HD (24 bit?) formats.

As for CD wallets, I still own a ton of them and they too have collected a bit of dust. I still have CDs that I bought decades ago. It's funny because the only way I have to play them anymore is with my BluRay player. Cars don't even come with a CD player anymore, at least my Bimmer doesn't, hence the whole thumb drive lossless audio files blah blah discussion. Lol.

IIRC correctly you own a handful of BMWs. No Audi? That would certainly vibe with your habit of having a bit of everything.
Putting flame suit on.....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #3483
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Lol, you be crazy man!

I have become a fan of Amazon's music service. I guess it's called Amazon Music HD nowadays. It is very reasonably priced now that they have lowered the price and has a gigantic library of music in HD or Ultra HD (24 bit?) formats.

As for CD wallets, I still own a ton of them and they too have collected a bit of dust. I still have CDs that I bought decades ago. It's funny because the only way I have to play them anymore is with my BluRay player. Cars don't even come with a CD player anymore, at least my Bimmer doesn't, hence the whole thumb drive lossless audio files blah blah discussion. Lol.

IIRC correctly you own a handful of BMWs. No Audi? That would certainly vibe with your habit of having a bit of everything.
Putting flame suit on.....
Funny enough, Amazon is one I have also. I too like it and of course like all others, has exclusives based on artists choice.

At this point I only have 4 bmw's, couple Fords and off-road vehicles, no Audis. I gave them a try a couple time and quite like them. Maybe some day I'll have another.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #3484
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
I remember watching my grandfather watching Neil Armstrong back in 69 on a colour TV and thinking that in his life time, he went from having no electricity to someone walking on the moon.
I remember when we got word that Armstrong and Aldrin had successfully landed on the moon. At that moment, I was trying to dry out my gear after being drenched by a monsoon in Vietnam. The storm had passed and I could see the moon. The stark contrast between them and me was almost overwhelming. WTF am I doing here.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 8
TiMSport12792.50
JJ 911SC22279.00
M_Six16787.50
vreihen1615134.50
2000cs3495.00
wdb4715.00
3798j11319.00
Buug95917175.50
      09-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #3485
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Funny enough, Amazon is one I have also. I too like it and of course like all others, has exclusives based on artists choice.

At this point I only have 4 bmw's, couple Fords and off-road vehicles, no Audis. I gave them a try a couple time and quite like them. Maybe some day I'll have another.
Only 4 BMWs? What wrong with you?!?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #3486
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Only 4 BMWs? What wrong with you?!?
I got married, otherwise I’d have more
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #3487
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Rick likes the "slot". Hmm.
I knew it I just knew that was coming
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12792.50
      09-03-2021, 11:18 AM   #3488
M5Rick
General
Rep

I think one of these days M5Rick will cave and go to the dark side once he realizes the convenience albeit many years later. [/QUOTE]

* I'll treasure my collection and it gets changed regularly from my CD library when I want something fresh. The wallet is handy standing up by the trans tunnel without having it on a back seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #3489
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
My entire .MP3 music collection fits on a 1 GB USB thumb drive...with room to spare!

Said USB thumb has been sitting on the table inside our front door since 2019, waiting for me to carry it out to the Bavarian Golf Cart and copy it into the iDrive.

I've been a paying Pandora streaming user for years. It took at least two years to seed and train the AI for what music I like, and it always surprises me with a random pick that I haven't heard since Nixon was in the White House. I also have a dozen songs downloaded on my phone from the free Amazon Music service included with Prime, but only use it to play "Alice's Restaurant" exactly one time whenever we take a road trip. No music at home or in the office, since it ruins my focus.

I developed an odd habit from driving on long road trips to/from competition events, where I drive in complete silence in an attempt to become one with the vehicle. When I'm commuting, I frequently listen to Pandora. I also used to sometimes have my two-way radio tuned to our work frequency on my drive in, so that I had an idea of what the crisis-du-jour was before I walked in the door.....
      09-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #3490
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I remember when the SST stopped flying (2003 I think) cross-Atlantic service. And I remember when it started. Was just thinking about those the other day, pretty cool planes.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615134.50
3.0L8923.00
M_Six16787.50
      09-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #3491
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Here’s another blast from the past!

I remember listening to the Dr. Demento Show on the radio in the early 1970s. His sidekicks were Mary Mary and Weird Al. Dr. Demento (Barret Hansen I think) later visited my high school on career day to talk about radio and music. He really talked a lot about music history, which was his major at Reed College. I met him later at a Reed Alumni function - the radio show was long gone but he still had thousands of records as was collecting more.

Weird Al went on to become, well, Weird Al. Was just a kid on a radio show goofing off and made a life out of it.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615134.50
Esteban43295.50
      09-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #3492
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I remember when the SST stopped flying (2003 I think) cross-Atlantic service. And I remember when it started. Was just thinking about those the other day, pretty cool planes.
I took a course on Quality Systems for my master's degree. It was about using QC methods to prevent catastrophic failures. We had to pick such a failure and investigate it, then write a paper on how using the QC tools might have prevented the problem. My group chose the Air France flight 4590 crash. Those poor souls on that plane were doomed almost as soon as it started down the runway, but the series of events that led to that nightmare was preventable.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
2000cs3495.00
vreihen1615134.50
      09-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #3493
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I took a course on Quality Systems for my master's degree. It was about using QC methods to prevent catastrophic failures. We had to pick such a failure and investigate it, then write a paper on how using the QC tools might have prevented the problem. My group chose the Air France flight 4590 crash. Those poor souls on that plane were doomed almost as soon as it started down the runway, but the series of events that led to that nightmare was preventable.
Are you able to detail the findings? So nothing could've been done to prevent except not having taken off?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 09:10 PM   #3494
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Are you able to detail the findings? So nothing could've been done to prevent except not having taken off?
On the roll down the runway, they hit a part that had fallen off the jet that took off right before them (a ring from the engine cowling, if I recall correctly). That blew a tire, which flew apart. The carcass from the tire impacted the fuel storage tank in the wing above it. The shock wave from that impact created holes in the fuel tank. The fuel started leaking out and was instantly turned into a mist which collected in the landing gear well. In the landing gear well was a fan for cooling the brakes upon landing. That fan had a short in the wiring, which caused a spark, which ignited the fuel. Once the fuel ignited, they were doomed. They were already moving too fast to abort the takeoff, and once they got in the air, one engine died because it was ingesting burning fuel. The co-pilot tried to shut down the burning engine, but inadvertently shut down the other engine that was still running. Although even if that hadn't happened, the drag from the fire slowed them to stalling speed. The aircraft basically fell like a pancake out of the sky and landed on a hotel, killing people there as well.

The big issue was that the exact same incident had happened years before with an SST taking off out of Dulles, except that time the fuel did not ignite and the aircraft was able to return to Dulles and land safely. But they knew that a blown tire could rupture the fuel tank and did nothing to correct it.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
shoei7779.00
Littlebear3509.50
vreihen1615134.50
      09-03-2021, 09:34 PM   #3495
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
On the roll down the runway, they hit a part that had fallen off the jet that took off right before them (a ring from the engine cowling, if I recall correctly). That blew a tire, which flew apart. The carcass from the tire impacted the fuel storage tank in the wing above it. The shock wave from that impact created holes in the fuel tank. The fuel started leaking out and was instantly turned into a mist which collected in the landing gear well. In the landing gear well was a fan for cooling the brakes upon landing. That fan had a short in the wiring, which caused a spark, which ignited the fuel. Once the fuel ignited, they were doomed. They were already moving too fast to abort the takeoff, and once they got in the air, one engine died because it was ingesting burning fuel. The co-pilot tried to shut down the burning engine, but inadvertently shut down the other engine that was still running. Although even if that hadn't happened, the drag from the fire slowed them to stalling speed. The aircraft basically fell like a pancake out of the sky and landed on a hotel, killing people there as well.

The big issue was that the exact same incident had happened years before with an SST taking off out of Dulles, except that time the fuel did not ignite and the aircraft was able to return to Dulles and land safely. But they knew that a blown tire could rupture the fuel tank and did nothing to correct it.
Holy hell that sounds like some Final Destination shit. That plane had all the "worst case scenarios" happen just rolling down the runway. Fucking crazy.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #3496
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Holy hell that sounds like some Final Destination shit. That plane had all the "worst case scenarios" happen just rolling down the runway. Fucking crazy.
There were a few other factors, like a slightly overloaded plane and after they blew the tire, they veered left and dropped the left landing gear slightly off the runway and nailed a landing light. But those probably didn't contribute greatly to the crash. The fire was the main culprit. The thing is, the fire was not visible to the passengers. They were just sitting through the takeoff when suddenly the plane slowed to stall speed and fell straight down onto the hotel. I bet none of them had any idea that anything was wrong until seconds before the crash.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #3497
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There were a few other factors, like a slightly overloaded plane and after they blew the tire, they veered left and dropped the left landing gear slightly off the runway and nailed a landing light. But those probably didn't contribute greatly to the crash. The fire was the main culprit. The thing is, the fire was not visible to the passengers. They were just sitting through the takeoff when suddenly the plane slowed to stall speed and fell straight down onto the hotel. I bet none of them had any idea that anything was wrong until seconds before the crash.
Man that's gotta be a horrible way to go. Knowing short of Superman becoming real, not much can be done.

Also, wish more people knew it's really the fumes of the fuel that are so dangerous. It's why an errant spark + fumes = kaboom
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #3498
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
One of the highlights of my life was flying across the pond on a British Airways Concorde before they were permanently taken out of service.....
M5Rick59563.50
M_Six16787.50
Dpc2u11503.00
wdb4715.00