BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-05-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
amit9253
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Lightbulb 12V Socket availability on X3 G01 2021 model

I have ordered X3 Xdrive 20i MSport model on 21/04/2021, for UK models. It's still awaiting Production, as of today.
Mine is equipped with Wireless Car Charger and Wifi hotspot.

However, I am not sure if it would come up with

12V Car Socket in the Central Console (Yes, Central console location is important, because this is where I would like to power my Dash-cam from)?
or

Car Cigarette Lighter (and if I can still use my Dash-cam 12v Male plug onto the Car Cigarette Lighter)?
or

none?

Asked Genius, they couldn't help me with concrete information. So looking for help at this forum, if anyone has exp. on this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by amit9253; 05-05-2021 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
On my 2019 theres a 12v socket in between the front cupholders and one on the back of the center console in the rear. Theres also one in the trunk of the car. As for dash cams or radar detectors, you can use a mirrortap or tap into the passenger footwell fusebox. I think on Rhd it might be on drivers footwell, unsure.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
amit9253
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C. View Post
On my 2019 theres a 12v socket in between the front cupholders and one on the back of the center console in the rear. Theres also one in the trunk of the car. As for dash cams or radar detectors, you can use a mirrortap or tap into the passenger footwell fusebox. I think on Rhd it might be on drivers footwell, unsure.
Thanks Alex but that's the point. I don't want to hardwire my dash cam in the fuse box.. this is why I was looking for 12v car socket. I already have a dash cam works on 12v car socket in my existing car and want to use the same dash cam to the new car.

May be using the cigarette lighter socket would be my option here, if ut's there in the centre console between cup holders. Hoping it to work.. time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #4
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit9253 View Post
Thanks Alex but that's the point. I don't want to hardwire my dash cam in the fuse box.. this is why I was looking for 12v car socket. I already have a dash cam works on 12v car socket in my existing car and want to use the same dash cam to the new car.

May be using the cigarette lighter socket would be my option here, if ut's there in the centre console between cup holders. Hoping it to work.. time will tell.
It works perfect but you have to ask yourself if you want a wire hanging down right in the middle of the screen. Also you wont be able to slide the lid over the cupholders.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
zukmeister
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit9253 View Post

I don't know if you guys in Europe have OBD plug ins on your car or if you use something else. I bought a OBD to mini USB plug on amazon like the link below and ran the wire under the headliner, down the pillar and all the way down to the OBD plug. The thing works perfect. Turns the camera on when the car turns on and turns off the camera 5 minutes after the car turns off. You should look into it. Nice clean install... can't see the wires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #6
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukmeister View Post
I don't know if you guys in Europe have OBD plug ins on your car or if you use something else. I bought a OBD to mini USB plug on amazon like the link below and ran the wire under the headliner, down the pillar and all the way down to the OBD plug. The thing works perfect. Turns the camera on when the car turns on and turns off the camera 5 minutes after the car turns off. You should look into it. Nice clean install... can't see the wires.

Doesn't plugging into OBD present problems with the alarm? There have been lots of reports of alarm issues with some of the OBD plugs that are used by insurance companies to monitor how fast you are going, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
zukmeister
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Doesn't plugging into OBD present problems with the alarm? There have been lots of reports of alarm issues with some of the OBD plugs that are used by insurance companies to monitor how fast you are going, etc.
Granted I have only used it for about a month, I haven't experienced any issues during that time
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
earck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Just accidentally verified with my new G01. The alarm doesn't go off with my adapter in the odb port. However, if I try to connect Bimmercode while the door is locked, the alarm will go off. So it's ok with a device being plugged in while the doors are locked, but not if you try to use it. It works fine with the doors unlocked.

You can code it to not trip the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 04:45 PM   #9
amit9253
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukmeister View Post

OBD 2 port could be a good option. I thought of it too. I have Vantrue N2, and I found OBD adapter is only available on its portal showing price in USD but couldn't find in Amazon UK. I am not sure, if high street OBD would work, and kinda sceptical about it.
Appreciate 0