BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #10825
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
I find it a little odd he can't find a single woman in Baton Rouge. I'm over 60 miles away. Dude clearly has issues.
Baton Rouge is a family town. Lots of retreads and worse here. Boozers, druggies and one of the worst STD rates in the area. I only looked here for about 6 months. It was hilarious.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #10826
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think "exceedingly high" is a bit of excessive rhetoric as it pertains to DV, but alcohol/prescription drug abuse happens due to the stress of the job. For what it's worth…..and generally speaking…..those who take to alcohol to address emotional stress were drinkers before they became cops. Someone who doesn't drink isn't going to start miraculously downing alcohol. The prescription drug abuse is partly the fault of doctors and the pharmaceutical industry for pushing narcotics every time we get injured. It's very easy to get addicted to opiate analgesics.
The lowest metric is 2x and the highest is 4x the national average, so Id say its high. As far as the rest, if you're saying that someone would already be predisposed to the issue then I wonder about the efficacy of the initial phycological study then.

I always tend to question a lot of these evals, including the ones that have some sort of scientific process backing them (which the myers briggs does not). Because, at best, they are a snapshot at a single point in time. Things like that should be an ongoing process to ensure fitness (and based on my contacts in law enforcement so should ACTUAL fitness tests).

At least the MMPI is complex, it would take actual work for someone to game it. I was really disappointed for my evaluation for security clearance, the paperwork for the SSBI portion was more stressful than the poly. Seems like a sociopath would pass one of those easy. At least I got a good story out of it.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      08-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #10827
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Quote:
I think "exceedingly high" is a bit of excessive rhetoric as it pertains to DV, but alcohol/prescription drug abuse happens due to the stress of the job. For what it's worth…..and generally speaking…..those who take to alcohol to address emotional stress were drinkers before they became cops. Someone who doesn't drink isn't going to start miraculously downing alcohol. The prescription drug abuse is partly the fault of doctors and the pharmaceutical industry for pushing narcotics every time we get injured. It's very easy to get addicted to opiate analgesics.
The lowest metric is 2x and the highest is 4x the national average, so Id say its high. As far as the rest, if you're saying that someone would already be predisposed to the issue then I wonder about the efficacy of the initial phycological study then.

I always tend to question a lot of these evals, including the ones that have some sort of scientific process backing them (which the myers briggs does not). Because, at best, they are a snapshot at a single point in time. Things like that should be an ongoing process to ensure fitness (and based on my contacts in law enforcement so should ACTUAL fitness tests).

At least the MMPI is complex, it would take actual work for someone to game it. I was really disappointed for my evaluation for security clearance, the paperwork for the SSBI portion was more stressful than the poly. Seems like a sociopath would pass one of those easy. At least I got a good story out of it.
The initial study is looking at many different aspects of a individual's personality including truthfulness, rationale, critical thinking, etc. Is drinking addressed at that time? Yes! Heavy drinkers or even someone who drinks weekly are often cut at the psych. With that said, just because someone drinks doesn't make them a bad candidate. One never knows how they will react to a tragic situation - like responding to a call of a child being raped, murdered and dismembered - until they've been in one and had to deal with the guilt of not being able to save someone.

Yes, sociopaths are a different animal and they are more adept at gaming, mainly because they believe their delusions. The MMPI-2 has built-in red flag questions or statements that EVERYBODY has to answer "yes/no" or "true/false" to…..like, "Sometimes I tell lies" or "I never get angry" as there are no perfect candidates and we all lie and we all get angry. Not-surprisingly, some people try to paint the picture of perfection and it flags them as being deceitful and duplicitous.
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane70873.00
      08-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #10828
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Yes, sociopaths are a different animal and they are more adept at gaming, mainly because they believe their delusions. The MMPI-2 has built-in red flag questions or statements that EVERYBODY has to answer "yes/no" or "true/false" to…..like, "Sometimes I tell lies" or "I never get angry" as there are no perfect candidates and we all lie and we all get angry. Not-surprisingly, some people try to paint the picture of perfection and it flags them as being deceitful and duplicitous.
So true. I went on a tour in a prison for the criminaly insane located in Ontario and some of those inmates acted as if nothing happened. It was a very creepy experience knowing what their backgrounds were.

Murf993 , you know Penetang?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      08-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #10829
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Doing what to them?? Reminds me of an Aussie housemate I had a while back; that was his term for it. That or "rooting".
There's an old joke about New Zealanders (Kiwis) that relies on punctuation.

The Kiwi eats roots shoots and leaves.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #10830
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn-BMW View Post
I stopped wearing jeans, like 5 years ago. With today’s high performance fabrics and inexpensive pants, that look good, from Costco, I just couldn’t see wearing jeans anymore. Jeans just feel really old fashion to me. Mostly, I wear mountaineering pants from Fjallraven. They aren’t cheap. But, they look cool, they are different, which I like. And, they will last forever. They’ll suit me well when I go to Mount Everest Base Camp next year.
I stopped wearing jeans when I bought a car with a pure white interior.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #10831
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I stopped wearing jeans when I bought a car with a pure white interior.
Where have you been? I hope all is well. I started to worry.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-23-2021, 06:22 PM   #10832
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Where have you been? I hope all is well. I started to worry.
Not sure when I was really here last, but the last 3 months have been a mixed bag.

June/July I went to NZ for 2 months, including 2 weeks in Isolation on arrival. Was there to see my Dad mostly, as he wasn't well, but seemed to get better while I was there.

While I was in isolation, my friend and ex-GF died as a result of the brain tumor surgery she had last year. She was just 35.

I got back from NZ, then went to Monterey for car week with a Countach anniversary tour thrown in, now back in Austin trying to make sense of my life and failing.

That's the short version anyway.

Dino
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25113.50
King Rudi13154.00
Dang3r12512.00
      08-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #10833
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Not sure when I was really here last, but the last 3 months have been a mixed bag.

June/July I went to NZ for 2 months, including 2 weeks in Isolation on arrival. Was there to see my Dad mostly, as he wasn't well, but seemed to get better while I was there.

While I was in isolation, my friend and ex-GF died as a result of the brain tumor surgery she had last year. She was just 35.

I got back from NZ, then went to Monterey for car week with a Countach anniversary tour thrown in, now back in Austin trying to make sense of my life and failing.

That's the short version anyway.

Dino
You did mention you lost your friend, sorry for your loss.

I'm glad you got to see your dad and he is doing better. I miss mine every single day.

I can't make sense of mine either lately. Welcome to the club. Hang in there.
      08-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #10834
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BWM E92 LCI+23 other cars

I just met this chick. Oh, I mean lady. I was driving down Westlake Blvd. in my Tesla with drag strip mode. There was a brand new, bright, almost neon yellow M4 in front of me. We both turned right onto Agoura Rd. and I squeezed on a little throttle and squirted past the M4. We ended up at the next red light, side by side. With this Tesla, because it’s so fast, I don’t initiate a race. It’s just plain cheating. But, if someone takes off fast, I’ll go. So, the M4 makes a good launch off the green light. I let it go for a couple seconds and then I floored it. Which allowed me to sail by, like it was standing still. We end up again, next to each other at the next red light. The M4 window, with limo tint, rolls down. I panic for a split second to turn Sirius off and roll my window down. And what do I see? I see a very attractive 40s something lady. She says, “that’s insane. How am I supposed to compete with an electric car like that”. I’m like, “if you can’t beat em, join em”! Then I said, “but yours is a much nicer looking car, I need a ride in that”. She said, “I’d like a ride in that!”. I said, “can you meet me at Stonehaus”. She said, “I’ll follow you”. So we pulled into the parking lot, talked for a few and exchanged numbers. And, neither of us had a mask on! So naughty! 🤣
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #10835
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I just met this chick. Oh, I mean lady. I was driving down Westlake Blvd. in my Tesla with drag strip mode. There was a brand new, bright, almost neon yellow M4 in front of me. We both turned right onto Agoura Rd. and I squeezed on a little throttle and squirted past the M4. We ended up at the next red light, side by side. With this Tesla, because it’s so fast, I don’t initiate a race. It’s just plain cheating. But, if someone takes off fast, I’ll go. So, the M4 makes a good launch off the green light. I let it go for a couple seconds and then I floored it. Which allowed me to sail by, like it was standing still. We end up again, next to each other at the next red light. The M4 window, with limo tint, rolls down. I panic for a split second to turn Sirius off and roll my window down. And what do I see? I see a very attractive 40s something lady. She says, “that’s insane. How am I supposed to compete with an electric car like that”. I’m like, “if you can’t beat em, join em”! Then I said, “but yours is a much nicer looking car, I need a ride in that”. She said, “I’d like a ride in that!”. I said, “can you meet me at Stonehaus”. She said, “I’ll follow you”. So we pulled into the parking lot, talked for a few and exchanged numbers. And, neither of us had a mask on! So naughty! 🤣
Those Teslas are stupid fast! I see the same Tesla frequently on my commute home. But he drives like an asshole. He comes around the entrance ramp and makes a B line and cuts across 3 lanes for the left lane. It’s like he’s shot out of a cannon.

Anyway, glad to see people still meet people in real life! Sara will hyperventilate because it’s too scary to talk to strangers. Lol.

Well done. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 4
mc-m3214.50
King Rudi13154.00
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      08-24-2021, 04:51 PM   #10836
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BWM E92 LCI+23 other cars

Quote:
Those Teslas are stupid fast! I see the same Tesla frequently on my commute home. But he drives like an asshole. He comes around the entrance ramp and makes a B line and cuts across 3 lanes for the left lane. It’s like he’s shot out of a cannon.

Anyway, glad to see people still meet people in real life! Sara will hyperventilate because it’s too scary to talk to strangers. Lol.

Well done. Keep us posted!
Well, I definitely do not drive it like that guy. I haven’t even driven it in Drag strip mode yet. That takes some time to initiate. But, without it, it’s faster than Ludicrous + mode. It accelerates so fast, I can feel my stomach getting slammed toward my spine.

She should try it sometime. For me, meeting a new person, talking to them and getting to know them is one of the most fun things in life. There is definitely nothing scary about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #10837
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, I definitely do not drive it like that guy. I haven’t even driven it in Drag strip mode yet. That takes some time to initiate. But, without it, it’s faster than Ludicrous + mode. It accelerates so fast, I can feel my stomach getting slammed toward my spine.

She should try it sometime. For me, meeting a new person, talking to them and getting to know them is one of the most fun things in life. There is definitely nothing scary about it.
I’m not saying you drive like an asshole. Just my observation of one driver I usually see. Not sure if he is aware of me and my 600 HP and is baiting me. I doubt it. Most Tesla drivers I encounter are very laid back.

As far as meeting people in real life, I couldn’t agree more. But we are “old”. The youngins would rather text and meet people online. *Gasp* OMG, an unscripted, spontaneous meeting/conversation that can’t be edited. The horror!
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      08-25-2021, 02:36 AM   #10838
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Sara will hyperventilate because it’s too scary to talk to strangers. Lol.
This!

For all sara-affected pilots the emergency frequency 121.500 is changed to 127.272

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      08-25-2021, 02:43 AM   #10839
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Tesla fast? Don't make me laugh.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:21 AM   #10840
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Tesla fast? Don't make me laugh.
How can you deny Teslas are fast? I don't know what model it is, I'm not a Tesla fan. It's one of the larger cars and it's faster than me....It's like a rocket.
vreihen1615280.00
      08-25-2021, 06:36 AM   #10841
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
How can you deny Teslas are fast? I don't know what model it is, I'm not a Tesla fan. It's one of the larger cars and it's faster than me....It's like a rocket.
There is black one here that likes to f with me. He knows that I drive fast and usually in a hurry. Anytime that he sees me, he flies by me and tries to get me to play. I have a time or two just for fun. No clue what model or what modes he has, but damn. My buddies i3, surprisingly, is nothing to scoff at either. It's kind of embarrassing getting smoked by a toaster.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15762.50
vreihen1615280.00
      08-25-2021, 07:05 AM   #10842
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I know they're built in Palo alto,California and have just discovered 'Plaid' model has a tri motor propulsion with quoted 0-60 time of under 2 seconds?? and price tag close to six figures or beyond! Would any insurance company want to insure such a thing...
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15762.50
      08-25-2021, 07:15 AM   #10843
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
I know they're built in Palo alto,California and have just discovered 'Plaid' model has a tri motor propulsion with quoted 0-60 time of under 2 seconds?? and price tag close to six figures or beyond! Would any insurance company want to insure such a thing...
Tesla has their own insurance that you purchase through them....

I really am not a Tesla fan at all. I rented one for a week back when I was legitimately interested in one as a potential next car. And while the instant torque and quickness off the line was a neat party trick... beyond that it was just an awful car. Build quality issues throughout, cheap materials, and the most soulless driving experience I've ever had (and I've driven my share of Toyota Corollas growing up). I came to the realization that Tesla doesn't make cars. They make tablet computers with a car attached to them. Great for the tech crowd.... not so much if you're an auto enthusiast. I can't say I've ever looked at my laptop and thought.... it would be cool if I could drive this thing.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15762.50
TiMSport12803.00
      08-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #10844
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Tesla has their own insurance that you purchase through them....

I really am not a Tesla fan at all. I rented one for a week back when I was legitimately interested in one as a potential next car. And while the instant torque and quickness off the line was a neat party trick... beyond that it was just an awful car. Build quality issues throughout, cheap materials, and the most soulless driving experience I've ever had (and I've driven my share of Toyota Corollas growing up). I came to the realization that Tesla doesn't make cars. They make tablet computers with a car attached to them. Great for the tech crowd.... not so much if you're an auto enthusiast. I can't say I've ever looked at my laptop and thought.... it would be cool if I could drive this thing.
The way you describe it makes me think it's a 'Tron' car, (from the film) for sure fast but as you say soulless and surprised that for that price a cheap interio.
Just read up that a pay extra option is coming in that the car will come to you in a car park
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #10845
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
The way you describe it makes me think it's a 'Tron' car, (from the film) for sure fast but as you say soulless and surprised that for that price a cheap interio.
Just read up that a pay extra option is coming in that the car will come to you in a car park
At least the Tron cars had some sound Teslas are silent with the exception of a bit of that electric whine you get from a toy RC car. Imagine blistering acceleration but without any of the drama that makes it interesting. No roar of the motor, no violent gear shifts, no variation in revs - it's all a bit too clinical to me... soulless.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15762.50
vreihen1615280.00
      08-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #10846
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
At least the Tron cars had some sound Teslas are silent with the exception of a bit of that electric whine you get from a toy RC car. Imagine blistering acceleration but without any of the drama that makes it interesting. No roar of the motor, no violent gear shifts, no variation in revs - it's all a bit too clinical to me... soulless.
If you are going to impress your wife or a date with the speed you may well have her passing out instead
Appreciate 0