BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-05-2021, 06:57 AM   #1
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

recent 2014 650i xDrive convertible purchase

I recently purchased a 650i from Carvana and when it arrives, i plan on having a pre purchase inspection done at the local BMW dealership. I wanted to ask if there are any trouble areas i should have them focus on. Im assuming its new enough they should know some of them, but i guess it depends on who does the inspection so i wanted to ask the question here so i can make sure they hit on those areas. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You don't say how many miles it has. One issue with some of these cars is they use a lot of oil. A PPI likely won't be able to detect that. Mine uses basically no oil, but lots of people report adding quite a bit between changes. As a convertible owner, the very first thing I would check is the condition of the anti-reflective coating on the nav screen. That coating is delicate, and people hired to clean used cars - and even owners - frequently damage it. It's not a huge deal on a car with a fixed roof, but scratches or rubbed off areas will drive you nuts with the top down. Sometimes it's just smears, but blow any dust off and then use just distilled water on a cotton t-shirt rag with little pressure and clean it then put the top down and drive around with the sun hitting it at various angles. Much damage would be a deal killer for me and the those screens are $2,200. I had a flawless screen and had some hail dents removed and the shop decided to "detail" my car for me. I made them buy me a new screen. No aftermarket screen protector will help. Other than that, have them look for oil leaks. BMWs leak. Depending on miles the suspension may be wearing. Since you are going to a dealer, ask them to pull it's service history. They can delete the prior owner's name. Ask them if the crankcase vent lines have been replaced with the new style or if they are the old style and are cracked and leaking oil. There is an extended warranty on that. Spin the iDrive controller several times. Sometimes they fail internally and get rough spots. Check the wheels for roundness and trueness. The run flats that came on these cars are very hard on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
You don't say how many miles it has. One issue with some of these cars is they use a lot of oil. A PPI likely won't be able to detect that. Mine uses basically no oil, but lots of people report adding quite a bit between changes. As a convertible owner, the very first thing I would check is the condition of the anti-reflective coating on the nav screen. That coating is delicate, and people hired to clean used cars - and even owners - frequently damage it. It's not a huge deal on a car with a fixed roof, but scratches or rubbed off areas will drive you nuts with the top down. Sometimes it's just smears, but blow any dust off and then use just distilled water on a cotton t-shirt rag with little pressure and clean it then put the top down and drive around with the sun hitting it at various angles. Much damage would be a deal killer for me and the those screens are $2,200. I had a flawless screen and had some hail dents removed and the shop decided to "detail" my car for me. I made them buy me a new screen. No aftermarket screen protector will help. Other than that, have them look for oil leaks. BMWs leak. Depending on miles the suspension may be wearing. Since you are going to a dealer, ask them to pull it's service history. They can delete the prior owner's name. Ask them if the crankcase vent lines have been replaced with the new style or if they are the old style and are cracked and leaking oil. There is an extended warranty on that. Spin the iDrive controller several times. Sometimes they fail internally and get rough spots. Check the wheels for roundness and trueness. The run flats that came on these cars are very hard on wheels.
Thank you. Great info. It has 20k miles on it so im hoping not a lot wrong, but it has also sat a long time which i know is also not good.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

I didn't realize Carvana allows for Pre Purcahse Inspections? How does that work?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
I didn't realize Carvana allows for Pre Purcahse Inspections? How does that work?
you have 7 days to return the car for any reason and from what i have seen on youtube, it really is that easy. Or they fix whatever is wrong with it which seems equally as easy. So, my plan is to take it to the BMW dealer the next day after i receive it, and depending on how bad the inspection turns out, ill either have them fix the issues, or if they find something major, ill return it.
Thats what made my decision to try Carvana, it really seems like and easy process. Sounds like Carmax has a similar policy.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

OK so you do actually have to purchase it first,. Then you have up to 7 days to return, no questions asked. Is there any fee if you choose to return? Or payoff the loan early?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #7
DaveS86
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I

Sounds too easy, I hope it is like that for you, but there isn't much to stop someone just taking a car out for a week for a joyride.

Do they have any Ferrari's I can borrow for a week?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #8
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS86 View Post
Sounds too easy, I hope it is like that for you, but there isn't much to stop someone just taking a car out for a week for a joyride.

Do they have any Ferrari's I can borrow for a week?
Well, i know thats exactly how that works for Carmax so yes, you could go to carmax buy a car, keep it for 30 days in carmax's case, then return it for a full refund. This i know to be true because 2 of my neighbors actually did it. And its on their website. https://www.carmax.com/faq/warranties#lycg
Carvana is suppose to be the same, but only for 7 days and if you are not in an area where you can return it to a Carvana lot, you have to pay for shipping. I live about 10 miles from a Carvana lot so free for me. There is a limit to this. You can only do it 3 times before they cut you off.
What i think will happen is, based on what i have read and seen examples of on youtube, is if they do find something wrong with it during the PPI, Carvana will try to fix it through their warranty service. If it turns out to be something major, its going back regardless if they offer to fix or not.
https://www.carvana.com/help/purchas...back-guarantee
And no, i dont work for Carmax or Carvana, i am just excited that if this works as advertised, i never have to go to a stealership again...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Just to close the loop on this, i did receive the car on monday and took it for a pre purchase inspection at our local BWM dealership. It came back with no issues other than maintenance recommendation, one that alarmed me, Alignment, but that's outlined in another thread. Very happy with the overall process,although the detailing could have been better. It did come from the mid west, so maybe the travel made the car dirtier than i expected. The delivery guys was great, first words out of his mouth is take a good look at it and if you dont want to accept it for any reason, you dont have to accept it and he'll take it back.
Pricewise i probably paid more than i should have by a $1-2k, but there was also no other fees other than price and tax. No doc stamps, prep, blah that the dealerships usually charge so overall it was relatively close to what i would have paid at a dealership.
So i know this sounds like a Carvana commercial, but im really impressed with the whole process and anything that disrupts the traditional dealerships im all for.
Quick sidenote, when i was at the BMW dealership yesterday for my PPI, there was 1 new vehicle for sale. I think it was a X3. and mabe 15-20ish used cars. I think we are in for a loooong car shortage and high prices.
Appreciate 0