ikenjoku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Garage List
2014 f13 M6  [0.00]
Owning out of warranty

Hey guys. I'm currently in the market for a pre-lci M6. My problem is I plan on making one of my first mods a tune which will void any extended aftermarket warranty that I know of. Knowing this, I want to put about $10-15k aside for any repairs. My question to you guys is am I crazy for thinking I shouldn't have a crazy amount of problems? And will the money I put aside be enough?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

1. What kind of mod you are thinking of?
2. how many miles?
3. Wich Model
4. How many miles are you driving per year?
5. CCB?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
ikenjoku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 f13 M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
1. What kind of mod you are thinking of?
2. how many miles?
3. Wich Model
4. How many miles are you driving per year?
5. CCB?
1. BM3 stage 1 and the turner muffler delete for now (performance wise). I'm moving to LA soon so I'm on the fence when it comes to DPs

2. Most of the cars I've looked at have been in the 20k-40k range

3. F13

4. It'll be my DD and I like driving so probably >15k per year

5. No CCBs I don't plan on tracking the car so I don't see the point.

Also just want to throw in that I don't see myself owning the car for more than 3 years but I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it while I have it
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

I don't have any warranty on my CLS63.
Low on miles at 35k currently, but I don't foresee any crippling issues anytime soon, if any.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep

My questions were just to get a feeling if you drive the car hard or on the track. Which you don’t. I don’t see any problem having this tune. The question about the CCB was just if you have to replace them it’s quite expensive. A full service cost her in the EU about 1500-2500$ Incl. brake discs and pads. So your 10000$ are more than enough. The most expensive parts are the insurance and the gas. Shit happened all the time but under normal conditions the car / engine is bulletproof.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

I have 32k on my original set of pads CCBs(no track) and they still look like they never wore , it’s funny even when I check the computer it’s telling me to check or replace in the next 36k miles, If you watch the How it’s made vid on YouTube they say CCBs last 60X longer than steel , they are amazing! But anyway I will be running out of warranty myself , I’m always on top of my maintenance, hoping for the best , I’m going to do some mods in the spring myself downpipes, tune , first then if I want it louder get some kind of exhaust mod
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
ikenjoku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 f13 M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
My questions were just to get a feeling if you drive the car hard or on the track. Which you don’t. I don’t see any problem having this tune. The question about the CCB was just if you have to replace them it’s quite expensive. A full service cost her in the EU about 1500-2500$ Incl. brake discs and pads. So your 10000$ are more than enough. The most expensive parts are the insurance and the gas. Shit happened all the time but under normal conditions the car / engine is bulletproof.
well I appreciate you being thorough. Thanks for giving me a little more confidence in this purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
ikenjoku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 f13 M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
I have 32k on my original set of pads CCBs(no track) and they still look like they never wore , it’s funny even when I check the computer it’s telling me to check or replace in the next 36k miles, If you watch the How it’s made vid on YouTube they say CCBs last 60X longer than steel , they are amazing! But anyway I will be running out of warranty myself , I’m always on top of my maintenance, hoping for the best , I’m going to do some mods in the spring myself downpipes, tune , first then if I want it louder get some kind of exhaust mod
do you live in an area that does emission testing? I really want to do downpipes so I can go stage 2 but I don't want to deal with emissions in Atlanta and can't even imagine the headache of having them installed while living in LA. But do you think the CCBs are worth it? And on a scale of 1-10 (1 being not so bad, 10 being it sounds like you needed new brakes last week) how bad is the squealing? I like the way they look so I wouldn't mind retrofitting them but I don't want to deal with a ridiculous amount of squealing.

Last edited by ikenjoku7; 12-30-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikenjoku7 View Post
do you live in an area that does emission testing? I really want to do downpipes so I can go stage 2 but I don't want to deal with emissions in Atlanta and can't even imagine the headache of having them installed while living in LA. But do you think the CCBs are worth it? And on a scale of 1-10 (1 being not so bad, 10 being it sounds like you needed new brakes last week) how bad is the squealing? I like the way they look so I wouldn't mind retrofitting them but I don't want to deal with a ridiculous amount of squealing.
I live in NY, yes I do get emissions test every year ,they are illegal here but I don’t care lol,so with catless downpipes you have to get a tune to have the check engine light out if it comes on or you will fail inspection,also choose a friendly tuning shop or garage because you can fail on visual (seeing no cats)during inspection, or you can uninstall them for inspection then reinstall but that’s a pain .
On the CCBs brakes so far I love them ,no corrosion rust, I’m mean almost zero
Brake dust , rims are always clean , track ready no pad swaps !! The brake feel is amazing there pretty grabby , I think you misunderstood I have 32k on my original pads and computer says inspect or replace in another 36k miles so I will have 68k on my first set and they still might be good
For the squeal,I only get it on the rears after a few hundred miles of driving but not that bad it comes and goes , the trick is washing ,pressure washing the rotors when you wash the car , I keep my cars really clean so this is no problem, I had an E63s with steel brakes and squealed worse by far so yeah steel brakes can make noise too , If they were that bad do you think Lambo, Bugatti, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche ,etc would use them ?Besides of all the bad you heard of them they have been solid for me
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2018, 04:57 AM   #10
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
.... But do you think the CCBs are worth it? And on a scale of 1-10 (1 being not so bad, 10 being it sounds like you needed new brakes last week) how bad is the squealing? I like the way they look so I wouldn't mind retrofitting them but I don't want to deal with a ridiculous amount of squealing.
Here is a quote from the official BMW M Site.
Quote:
3 Hours...is how long the M carbon ceramic brake is tested in Munich’s rush hour traffic. Why? Everyone knows that sports brakes start to squeak when they get hot. So BMW M engineers use stop-and-go traffic to listen to the brakes, particularly the sound they make towards the end of the braking sequence that go with the M’s aggressive braking style. The sound is caused by the high friction silicon carbide layer. One of the top performers in the test was the BMW M5 with M xDrive
But keep in mind that the retrofit cost about 14.000$ Parts only. Normal life time would be 100.000miles without track days. Honestly I don’t think ist is worth to spend 14.000$ + just for the look. When I was looking for my M6 I thought CCB is a must but than I found mine without and I bought it. I drive regularly over 180mph on our highways and I don’t need CCBs. The normal M brake are perfect. It is a „nice to have“ but in my opinion not a must if you’re are not going on the track.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

A lot of what your asking depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Taking your care to BMW service centers is a joke. I have had to personally re-fix almost everything I took my car in for due to their lack of effort, knowledge or just plain laziness. I have tried 3 service centers and finally decided I had enough and bought the software and all the appropriate maintenance scope materials. OR, find a great indi shop you can trust. Lots of guys from Cali on the forum who know great shops in that area. I have had the BM3 stage 2 OTS tune, fabworx downpipes and carbon filter delete for about 2 years and haven't had a whole bunch of issues. But, keep in mind BM3 is constantly evolving for most platforms which can be a good and bad thing. When I first installed my tune they were still in early beta stages so there were definitely issue with it (as I am sure with most tunes that are OTS and not adjusted custom per car), but they have gotten better and a little more refined due to customers and the OG developers datalogging more. It does have some cool features as well, but the features like code reading do have hiccups often. Just like modifying any care, stay on top of changing your fluids frequently! Shorter intervals. Don't go out for a day and just constantly beat on these cars, they are prone to heat soak and these motors do not react well to heat soak. Remember its a big car as well and while you have had great experience with your brakes thus far, you will get to higher speeds A LOT faster with a tune and object approach you extremely fast. Trust me, the brakes will fade and/or not be there like you expect them too. Get good sticky tires once you have the tune (R888R - Yes they are loud and annoying, but they make the car usable). DO NOT just stop on the gas off the line, you will break something almost guaranteed, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but you will and most likely it will be an axle. If you want to race hard starts and you have grippy tires on, just feather they roll out off the start and then let the big dog eat. There are really too many word of advise for these cars and it really all depends on how you plan on beating on it. Sorry for the lengthy response, just thought I would share some knowledge I wish someone would have summed up for me. Let me know if you have any other questions. One more thing, make sure you change your plugs and coils when you get the tune and properly gap them. Ask Protuning Freaks what they recommend for their stg1 as far as gap goes.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

$10k for repairs is reasonable. But also set $1k for maintenance every year.

This is how I budget for all my M car post-warranty ownership. $10k and $1k/year. If you can't afford this, you can't afford the car
      01-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #13
Mpowerme13
Rep
Drives: Black F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Quote:
I live in NY, yes I do get emissions test every year ,they are illegal here but I don’t care lol,so with catless downpipes you have to get a tune to have the check engine light out if it comes on or you will fail inspection,also choose a friendly tuning shop or garage because you can fail on visual (seeing no cats)during inspection, or you can uninstall them for inspection then reinstall but that’s a pain .
On the CCBs brakes so far I love them ,no corrosion rust, I’m mean almost zero
Brake dust , rims are always clean , track ready no pad swaps !! The brake feel is amazing there pretty grabby , I think you misunderstood I have 32k on my original pads and computer says inspect or replace in another 36k miles so I will have 68k on my first set and they still might be good
For the squeal,I only get it on the rears after a few hundred miles of driving but not that bad it comes and goes , the trick is washing ,pressure washing the rotors when you wash the car , I keep my cars really clean so this is no problem, I had an E63s with steel brakes and squealed worse by far so yeah steel brakes can make noise too , If they were that bad do you think Lambo, Bugatti, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche ,etc would use them ?Besides of all the bad you heard of them they have been solid for me
Do you know how much it should cost to install the DP's and the tune to remove the engine light? I got quoted 2,400.00 not including parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #14
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpowerme13 View Post
Do you know how much it should cost to install the DP's and the tune to remove the engine light? I got quoted 2,400.00 not including parts.
This can range quite a bit,I’m sure all shops vary,Downpipes them selves vary from $300 to 2k from I’ve seen . I was quoted around 2-3k , for downpipes ( not sure what brand) and stage 2 tune parts and labor included. I was going to attempt the DP install myself as it’s not to difficult , I’m not sure how much they charge to code the light out if you don’t want a power tune , but most people say at that point just get a full tune .

Sorry for the off topic posts
Appreciate 0