BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-12-2023, 10:29 AM   #1
JNick
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Carbon Roof Repaired from Sun Damage!

Guys,

I purchased a 2013 M6 in 2016 with less than 8k on it, and this forum has been very helpful since then. Now it's my time to help those of you that need it.

Fast forward to 2023, the sun is brutal in S. Florida! My carbon roof turned yellowish and developed water spots. After checking the threads in the forum, I started to freak out about finding a shop that could repair it.

I talked to 3 body shops including two high-end ones. Both of the high end ones asked right away if it was a BMW, as apparently they get a lot of requests to repair the carbon roofs and said they wouldn't attempt to repair it. They didn't even know what the process was.

Then I found Eurowerks in Pompano Beach and spoke to Patrick, one of the managers and one of the owners, Santos. Both looked at it and they said no problem! They had done many carbon roofs and explained the process.

I'm posting this to help any of you out with a carbon roof issue and need a trust-worthy resource in S. Florida. It's a very clean shop. Patrick and Santos were very reassuring. Santos took me for a tour of the shop, and there were a lot of nicer, high-end cars in for work, and both guys are genuine and passionate about quality.

I just picked up my m6 on fri and the carbon roof is like brand new!! Patrick explained that they removed the top layer (i think what others in the forum call BMW's gel coat) with just a razor blade and start peeling what looks like parchment paper away. This exposes the origin carbon (which is not yellow) and then they CAREFULLY sand. Santos said they finished with 6 coats of clearcoat!

The original before photo is posted, but it rained today and i didn't get to take a photo of the repair and will follow-up and post later this week.

If you need yours repaired in S. FL, I highly recommend Eurowerks! Their info:

Eurowerks
4840 N Powerline Rd
Pompano Beach, Fl
954.478.1888 / Patrick Ardis 954.249.4299

Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
SWFLf10373.50
HeyKC101.50
vSook37.00
      06-12-2023, 02:52 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
This is on my radar. How long did they have your car? Appreciate the information sharing and cannot wait to see the after photos.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 03:35 PM   #3
bg6
Rep
Drives: Volt, Tesla MY, 2014 M6 GC

Thank you. I have this issue as well. I’m in San Diego so will have to find an appropriate place to do this. How much did this cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 10:40 PM   #4
jporter396
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw m6 POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg6 View Post
Thank you. I have this issue as well. I’m in San Diego so will have to find an appropriate place to do this. How much did this cost?
In San Diego as well, I've called a couple shops around And they didn't seem knowledgeable. Would love to know a local price and what this cost op as well. My roof is pretty burnt as well.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      06-29-2023, 06:55 PM   #5
JNick
Rep

Sorry for the delayed reply, missed the notification in my junk folder. Total cost was $1500. Process 1) Razors blade/hand removal of original gel coat which peels off like parchment paper exposing carbon fiber 2) carefully sanding carbon fiber 3) 6 coats of clear. When I dropped off i was told the windshield molding was on a 2 mo national backorder so since the windshield is bonded the molding is really an aesthetic and they would trim it along the top between half way where the rubber extended from the windshield to the roof. It looked totally fine. You wouldn't really notice it. I found the new molding on ebay from a BMW dealership for $198, brought it to Patrick at Eurowerks and they installed it for free.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 07:07 PM   #6
JNick
Rep

Btw if you need to find the windshield molding the part # is 51-31-7-227-340 range of prices were $190 - $249. Also after photo attached (excuse the dust) but I was told to wait 30 days before washing/waxing the new clearcoat on the roof.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
vSook37.00
      06-29-2023, 11:27 PM   #7
vSook
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Thanks for the share! Going to take this info to my detail guy & see if he can do anything for me here
Appreciate 0