Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i 2014

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Is dynamic damper control a must on M6

There's a used M6 gran coupé that I am looking at which doesn't have DDC. Does it matter if I don't intend to track this car?
Also, what does the suspension setting adjustment do if there's no DDC?
Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550ihtown View Post
There's a used M6 gran coupé that I am looking at which doesn't have DDC. Does it matter if I don't intend to track this car?
Thanks guys!
All M6's come with Electronic Dampening Control (EDC) as standard equipment, which I'm fairly sure is what you're referring to
      02-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #3
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Quote:
Thanks guys!
All M6's come with Electronic Dampening Control (EDC) as standard equipment, which I'm fairly sure is what you're referring to
How good is EDC? My old 550i had buttons but it never felt like it changed anything. BMW dealership said it didn't have anything and those were just dummy buttons. It didn't have a sport package either. Guessing the M would be better lol
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Thanks guys!
What is your interpretation/definition of DDC...and how did you come to the conclusion that the M6 GC you’re looking at doesn’t have it? (Only asking to be on the same page with what you are thinking...and not to make an assumption that could be way off base)

If your 550 had “buttons” (assuming you mean driving experience buttons like eco-pro/comfort/sport???) and you could not tell any difference when initiating them...then not having “DDC” (???) probably would not be something you’d miss due to your personal sensitivity to slight variations & changes to chassis/suspension/dynamic drivetrain mappings.

BTW, back in the 90s when I had my 91 735iL (which had EDC)...I had two friends with me and was “testing” this new fangled “EDC”...and on the same course 1 friend was like OMG, this is incredible...and the other friend couldn’t feel anything or tell when the suspension & damping tightened up.

In case you are referring to VDM (vertical dynamics management) in which dynamic drive (active roll stabilization) falls under its control...maybe the info below will be helpful:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks guys!
How good is EDC? My old 550i had buttons but it never felt like it changed anything. BMW dealership said it didn't have anything and those were just dummy buttons. It didn't have a sport package either. Guessing the M would be better lol
They definitely make a difference IMO — the spread of the suspension settings alone were surprising to me. In comfort it feels like a normal, very comfortable 4 door. In sport plus it feels like you're driving a more M4-like car. Suspension tightens up significantly.

Steering just gets progressively more weighted as you progress from comfort to sport to sport plus, but it's still noticeable how increasingly direct and responsive the steering gets.

Throttle sensitivity is also noticeably different across the 'engine' modes. When I am on cruising throttle and switch from M2 (warm-up configuration: comfort suspension, sport steering, comfort engine responsiveness, level 2 shift speed) to M1 (sport plus engine responsiveness, comfort suspension, sport steering, level 3 shift speed) there is a noticeable (but not annoying or alarming) jolt forward. Just enough to let you know you've put it in sport plus

As eluded to above, you also have the ability to select between 3 different levels of shift speed, also noticeably different at each level
      02-17-2021, 01:39 AM   #6
TON-III
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 640 DA X-Drive M-Sport -12

Quote:
They definitely make a difference IMO — the spread of the suspension settings alone were surprising to me. In comfort it feels like a normal, very comfortable 4 door.

Steering just gets progressively more weighted as you progress from comfort to sport to sport plus, but it's still noticeable how increasingly direct and responsive the steering gets.

Throttle sensitivity is also noticeably different across the 'engine' modes.
I've Adaptive Drive in my F13 and quite satisfied, I was just monday driving in motorway with Comfort + mode with luxyrious feel. For a while I set Sport chassi and then car felt very nervous, not bad but not nice for smooth riding.

If your M6 is mainly to be ridden in track I would go with rigid parts, for every day car these adjustable shocks/ antiroll bars are delightful !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 05:06 AM   #7
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

deffinitly a noticable difference in my M6 between the settings,

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 12:52 PM   #8
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Thanks guys!
What is your interpretation/definition of DDC...and how did you come to the conclusion that the M6 GC you’re looking at doesn’t have it? (Only asking to be on the same page with what you are thinking...and not to make an assumption that could be way off base)

If your 550 had “buttons” (assuming you mean driving experience buttons like eco-pro/comfort/sport???) and you could not tell any difference when initiating them...then not having “DDC” (???) probably would not be something you’d miss due to your personal sensitivity to slight variations & changes to chassis/suspension/dynamic drivetrain mappings.

BTW, back in the 90s when I had my 91 735iL (which had EDC)...I had two friends with me and was “testing” this new fangled “EDC”...and on the same course 1 friend was like OMG, this is incredible...and the other friend couldn’t feel anything or tell when the suspension & damping tightened up.

In case you are referring to VDM (vertical dynamics management) in which dynamic drive (active roll stabilization) falls under its control...maybe the info below will be helpful:
I am with you on the fact that all M6 should have it. However, dealership says it's not on the car. Makes me wonder if it's really true or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #9
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks guys!
So DDC would still remain as an additional feature then? Just curious on why a car worth 130k not come with DDC
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So DDC would still remain as an additional feature then? Just curious on why a car worth 130k not come with DDC
To be honest I've never heard of 'DDC' whether it be standard or an option as you are referring to when it comes to the M6 / M6GC. Very possibly could be a feature on non-M BMW's but I don't know since my current M6 is the only BMW I have owned and therefore my BMW knowledge is limited.

The order guide I linked to below doesn't reference anything called DDC. 95% sure EDC is what you are referring to, at least in terms of the product language for the M6.

BMW M6 Gran Coupe (F06) - Order Guide