BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-09-2021, 12:24 AM   #1
Lawrence2K
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 650i

2016 650i door wood trim removal help?

Hey folks, I need some advice removing some trim in my 6 series, I'm in the process of removing all my trim, I have already removed most of it but I am stuck on the door trim, I cannot find any information online about removing the trim, does anyone have some information that can help me remove the trim?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:51 AM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Its actually quite tricky. Once you remove the door card you have to remove the trim clips that hold it in place. The really tricky part is that there is a hidden clip on the near side to the door card. Word of caution, once you get it off you need to be very careful when installing it back in the door card. You can very easily damage the leather on the door card. I’ll try and find you the instructions.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
Lawrence2K
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Its actually quite tricky. Once you remove the door card you have to remove the trim clips that hold it in place. The really tricky part is that there is a hidden clip on the near side to the door card. Word of caution, once you get it off you need to be very careful when installing it back in the door card. You can very easily damage the leather on the door card. I’ll try and find you the instructions.
Okay thank you so much, yes instructions would be perfect if there are any, I need to remove them this week lol
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence2K View Post
Okay thank you so much, yes instructions would be perfect if there are any, I need to remove them this week lol
Here you go...No.2 in the diagrams is the tricky little bugger. It sits behind the switch-block for the power windows and is a PITA to remove on the driver's door. There are plenty of plastic guide pins on these parts so take care when removing and installing them. The window switch for the passenger door just levers out (gently, take care to not damage the wood). Instructions for the driver door window switches also below
Attached Images

Last edited by hugo_nz; 03-09-2021 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
Lawrence2K
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Quote:
Here you go...No.2 in the diagrams is the tricky little bugger. It sits behind the switch-block for the power windows and is a PITA to remove on the driver's door. There are plenty of plastic guide pins on these parts so take care when removing and installing them. The window switch for the passenger door just levers out (gently, take care to not damage the wood). Instructions for the driver door window switches also below
Awesome thank you so Much, so do I have to remove the entire door panel? where should I start to remove the wood trim?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:41 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Yes, you have to remove the entire door panel. The pictures are showing where the screws are on the back of the door panel. It's not hard. The hardest part is holding it while you unclip all the wires.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:44 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

As for where you start, not totally sure what you mean, but just follow the steps in the order above.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:32 PM   #8
Lawrence2K
Rep

Passengers door panel removal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
As for where you start, not totally sure what you mean, but just follow the steps in the order above.
Hey opie, so I was able to completely remove the drivers side panel and also remove to trim without breaking anything, thanks to your help haha, now I am currently stuck on the passenger door panel, I removed all the pins but the panel did not come off like the drivers side, all the pins are removed but there is still something holding the panel in place, would you have any info on this.

Thanks for all the help
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #9
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey opie, so I was able to completely remove the drivers side panel and also remove to trim without breaking anything, thanks to your help haha, now I am currently stuck on the passenger door panel, I removed all the pins but the panel did not come off like the drivers side, all the pins are removed but there is still something holding the panel in place, would you have any info on this.

Thanks for all the help
On the passenger door there is a screw under the door handle cover trim. See below:
Attached Images

03-15-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Hugo beat me to it. BMWs have different door panels on each side, and it's not intuitive to pry off the front of the handle.
Appreciate 0