BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
ExclusiveElectronics
Private
Rep
Drives: M6

BMW M6 Cup Holder USB RetroFit

Hey guys,

I have a 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe and I wanted to get a usb port for my cup holders like the 2019 650 Gran Coupe has, how hard is it to do?

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #2
ExclusiveElectronics
Private
Rep

Apparently its possible but i cant find any directions on how to do it?

Does bimmertech offer it?

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1476770
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Is there a specific reason why you want the electrical USB port in your cup holder area vs using the 12 volt outlet in the ashtray location? One BIG advantage is never having to worry about spilling a liquid down into an electrical outlet.

If you need additional USB connectivity (even USB-C)...you could purchase and insert one of these USB adapters...either a single or dual...and you can still be hidden from view when not needed by closing the ashtray cover...then opened when USB connectivity is needed:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-09-2019 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
johndeere135.50
      09-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
ExclusiveElectronics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Is there a specific reason why you want the electrical USB port in your cup holder area vs using the 12 volt outlet in the ashtray location? One BIG advantage is never having to worry about spilling a liquid down into an electrical outlet.

If you need additional USB connectivity (even USB-C)...you could purchase and insert one of these USB adapters...either a single or dual...and you can still be hidden from view when not needed by closing the ashtray cover...then opened when USB connectivity is needed:

LMAO clearly I am an idiot, I owned my M6 for 2 months now and didnt even bother to open that LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M6 F06

Reviving this post because I'm in the need for the plastic trim inside the cup holder with the usb socket for other purpose (i have a controller in the car connected through usb into my laptop, and i would like to have a female socket right there for when I need)

Anyone found the p/n of the plastic bezel?
The standard one w/o the usb port is 51169227718

Put this p/n in google and only shows me replacement, but no results in realoem.
Looks like the bezel have its own code but is not selled as one piece, instead they sell the complete cup holder assembly with the bezel inside.

I would hack mine but I'm not sure if the socket would fit (the new plastic trim is a little bit recessed to accommodate the socket as shown in the pic by the OP)

Edit: i think this is the p/n for the cup holder assembly with the usb port 51169383503

But not much infos on-line

Last edited by Aliendex; 03-19-2021 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #6
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

I did spend a bit of time looking for one on realoem as well but I just use the USB port and ciggie lighter in the centre console, that's enough for me.

Honestly I'd prefer to retrofit the cooled and heated cup holders from the current X5 and X7

I've considered getting the wireless charging tray but all phones seem to get quite hot and charge slowly with wireless charging so I've given up on that as well.
      03-20-2021, 05:39 AM   #7
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
I did spend a bit of time looking for one on realoem as well but I just use the USB port and ciggie lighter in the centre console, that's enough for me.

Honestly I'd prefer to retrofit the cooled and heated cup holders from the current X5 and X7

I've considered getting the wireless charging tray but all phones seem to get quite hot and charge slowly with wireless charging so I've given up on that as well.
Thank you Brad!

My purpose was to hide all the cables going in and out of the laptop, because it's really messy right now.

I have an usb hub for the ethernet (e-net for bootmod3) and another usb that i use for my methanol controller installed in the back of the car (TorqByte CM5-LTS).

And also an usb type C that goes inside the glove compartment to charge the laptop through a cigarette charger with Type C PD 45W features.

Would be nice to install an usb port or even two usb type c port in the middle of the cupholder bezel to run short cables from there for my purpose.

Sorry for the dirt, my car need a good cleaning

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #8
shine775
Scott
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Garage List
2013 BMW 640i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendex View Post
Quote:

Thank you Brad!

My purpose was to hide all the cables going in and out of the laptop, because it's really messy right now.

I have an usb hub for the ethernet (e-net for bootmod3) and another usb that i use for my methanol controller installed in the back of the car (TorqByte CM5-LTS).

And also an usb type C that goes inside the glove compartment to charge the laptop through a cigarette charger with Type C PD 45W features.

Would be nice to install an usb port or even two usb type c port in the middle of the cupholder bezel to run short cables from there for my purpose.

There is a cig outlet in the passenger footwell under the glove box.
MMMM6GC275.00
      03-30-2021, 06:47 AM   #9
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine775 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendex View Post
Quote:

Thank you Brad!

Haha I like this! I am looking at stacking Jb4 with my backend flash.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #10
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine775 View Post
Not on mine, probably due to a different market region.
Anyway i was not in the need for the usb socket for charging purpose only, and i also hate to see cables going across the car (yeah, OCD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Haha I like this! I am looking at stacking Jb4 with my backend flash.
It's still a work in progress (don't look at the screws because i'm going to replace them with countersunked black ones which will go flush, and also the holes need to be filed a little bit more precisely)

Anyway this is the material list I'm using for this project:

-1x E-Net cable hided inside the car

-1x 10mt. USB extension cord from USB Type A 2.0 to USB Type B 2.0 (for the methanol controller in the trunk)

-1x USB HUB from USB Type A 3.0 to 3x USB Type A 3.0 and 1x Ethernet (RJ-45) port

-1x phone/laptop charger with USB Type C 45W PD port and 2x USB Type A 5V/2.4A

-1x USB Type C to USB Type C extension cord

-1x USB adapter from USB Type A 3.1 to USB Type C

-1x USB Type A to USB Type C

-1x USB Type C to USB Type C

-2x USB Type C Male to USB Type C female for panel mount

How it works:

My computer uses an USB Type C port for recharge and an USB Type A 3.0 port for data transfer.

The Type C port of the laptop will go directly to one USB C socket installed in the cupholder, using a short USB C to USB C extension cord.
Hided inside the trim there will be the phone/laptop cig charger directly connected to it.
It's essentialy an usb socket to recharge my computer/phone, and nothing more.

The USB A port of the laptop will go in the other USB C installed in the cupholer (using the short USB A to USB C extension cord)
Hided inside the trim there will be the USB Hub in which i will connect the ethernet cable (coming from the e-net) and the USB A socket (coming from the methanol controller using the USB A to USB B extension cord)
For this USB hub i need to use the USB C to USB A adapter showed previously for the panel mounted USB C

This way, when i need to use my laptop for tuning/datalogging purpose, i only have to connect two short extension cable (one for power and one for data).
When i don't have the laptop connected, nothing can be seen apart from the two small usb socket inside the cup holder.

Hope that explains my situation and my resolution of the "problem"

Pic of the usb panel mount cable installed + video (the two sockets fit perfectly without the need to cut any tabs on the cupholder trim, this ensure it will lock in place like it was intended originally)

UPDATE:
Also swapped the screws today and countersunked the holes in the plastic, it's now more elegant to see even though it's not perfect because hand-made. I guess I will live with that.

Last edited by Aliendex; 04-11-2021 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 1
M6Roar85.50
      04-12-2021, 05:08 AM   #11
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

Get USB C plugs to block the ports just to avoid spilling things

Name:  HTB1G4hUVZfpK1RjSZFOq6y6nFXah.jpg_q50.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  17.4 KB