BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-20-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
9138
Rep
4,777
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
VW Kills the Passat for the US and Possibly the EU Market

While the current generation have been overall pretty unimpressive, its a bit sad to see a car like the Passat with such a long-running nameplate killed, of course yet again, in favor of SUV's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor1
Well, another sedan is saying goodbye at the expense of crossovers and SUVs. Today, itís the Volkswagen Passat thatís leaving us. The German automaker will cease the modelís production at its Tennessee plant in 2023, no longer offering it in the US, according to Wards Auto. Instead, the company will shift the factory over to producing the all-electric ID.4 along with the Atlas and Atlas cross.

Sales for the Passat in 2018 were a third of what they were in 2012, according to CarSalesBase.com. Last year was no better, with the company selling just 14,123 Passats. VW gave the car a thorough refresh for the 2020 model year, which appears to have helped sales, though itís not enough to save the model from being discontinued. The sedan just canít compete in the US, where consumers are ďfirmly in favor of SUV models,Ē VW CEO Ralf Brandstštter told the publication.

The Passatís demise in the US isnít that surprising. VW of America hinted at the Passat leaving at the end of its life cycle, which is whatís happening. Development of the next-gen Passat sounds well underway, with the new car riding on an updated MQB platform around the world. Itíll be larger than the outgoing model with a longer wheelbase offering more legroom that Americans wonít get to enjoy. Production for the next-gen Passat will move from Germany to Slovakia, according to Automotive News Europe.

The Passatís departure comes with up to $800 million in investment to expand its Tennessee plant as it prepares to produce its fully electric crossover. The Passat leaving the US market is just another sedan weíre saying goodbye to as the list of cars continues to dwindle. The Passat got its name in the US in 1990, two generations after the model arrived here. In 2012, VW began differentiating the US-market Passat from the European one.
VW Passat Dead After 2023 In The US



Update 11/27: Report Claims Passat and Arteon are Killed in Europe as well, but wagon will survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor1
Volkswagen had planned to move production of the European-spec Passat from Emden, Germany to a new VW Group plant in Turkey for the midsize modelís next generation. The conflicts in Syria forced the automotive conglomerate to change its plans, ultimately deciding to shift production to Bratislava following a Ä1 billion investment in the plant.

The switch will happen in 2023 when production of the Passatís sister model, the Skoda Superb, will be relocated from the Czech plant in Kvasiny. However, a new report from Automotive News Europe claims VW has decided to discontinue the Passat sedan in Europe, following a similar decision taken for the US-spec model built in Chattanooga. The Passat (NMS) is technologically inferior to the MQB-based European model, and much like its cousin from the Old Continent, itís expected to bow out in 2023.

The silver lining? The Passat wonít be axed altogether in Europe as ANE reports the wagon (Variant) will live to see another generation. The thinking is VAG wants to reduce the risk of cannibalization as the Skoda Superb is known to eat into the Passat sedanís sales due to its greater practicality thanks to a larger footprint and a hatchback layout. It also used to be cheaper, but the gap between the two has been reduced in recent years.

The report goes on to mention the next-generation Superb will target customers from countries in central and eastern Europe where sedans are still popular while the long-roof Passat will lure in buyers from western Europe. It goes without saying the Passatís biggest enemy is not its Czech counterpart, but the proliferation of SUVs.

Company sources familiar with the VW Groupís agenda told ANE the company will shift even more focus to SUVs and its ever-growing EV lineup. Another victim will be the Passatís sleeker derivative Ė the Arteon. Both the standard liftback and the Shooting Brake (itís actually a wagon) wonít live to see another generation.

To end on a positive note, VW previously confirmed plans to start production of a new four-door Aero electric vehicle at the Emden factory from 2023. Itís widely believed to take the shape of a wagon, molded after the 2019 ID Space Vizzion concept.

Company sources familiar with the VW Groupís agenda told ANE the company will shift even more focus to SUVs and its ever-growing EV lineup. Another victim will be the Passatís sleeker derivative Ė the Arteon. Both the standard liftback and the Shooting Brake (itís actually a wagon) wonít live to see another generation.

To end on a positive note for the anti-SUV crowd, VW previously confirmed plans to start production of a new four-door Aero electric vehicle at the Emden factory from 2023. Itís widely believed to take the shape of a wagon, molded after the 2019 ID Space Vizzion concept.
Volkswagen Is Killing The Passat Sedan In Europe, Too: Report
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT

Last edited by stein_325i; 11-27-2020 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: New Updates
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M32407.50

      11-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3707
Rep
8,662
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
When they separated the US model from the ROW model, it was already curtains. Current one is awful and they probably need to focus on the stupidly priced Arteon instead.

[IMG]https://carsalesbase.com/wp-content/...ics-Europe.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://cdn.jdpower.com/JDPA_2020%20...iew_edited.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
mkoesel6672.00

      11-20-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
GERMAN M3
Major
GERMAN M3's Avatar
Germany
2408
Rep
1,030
Posts

Drives: 2017 MG M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
While the current generation have been overall pretty unimpressive, its a bit sad to see a car like the Passat with such a long-running nameplate killed, of course yet again, in favor of SUV's.
Let’s just hope this never happens to the GTI. I will say though that the W8 Passat was quite impressive....especially the wagon.
__________________
2017 MG M3
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:57 PM   #4
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
9138
Rep
4,777
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Let’s just hope this never happens to the GTI. I will say though that the W8 Passat was quite impressive....especially the wagon.
The B5 generation was pretty nice, and the W8 sure is one very interesting engine, although I gotta say, I don't envy anyone who had to own and put up with all its maintenance though
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M32407.50

      11-20-2020, 11:59 PM   #5
AlexFL
Brigadier General
4799
Rep
3,161
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Good. Passat is just an outdated and boring sedan that no one really cares about. I want to see the T-Roc R and the Arteon wagon instead.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 12:01 AM   #6
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
9138
Rep
4,777
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I expect the Arteon to be phased out next. Sales numbers are likely pretty low. Good looking car, but way too pricey and I'm sure they're a slow seller. Not sure why the T-Roc isn't in the US, seems to be just the right size too.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 12:39 AM   #7
AlexFL
Brigadier General
4799
Rep
3,161
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I expect the Arteon to be phased out next. Sales numbers are likely pretty low. Good looking car, but way too pricey and I'm sure they're a slow seller. Not sure why the T-Roc isn't in the US, seems to be just the right size too.
T-Roc is not in the US possibly to avoid competition with the Audi Q3. I think this is the reason why none of the performance VW cars are being brought here (besides the popular performance Golf models).
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M32407.50

      11-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
GERMAN M3
Major
GERMAN M3's Avatar
Germany
2408
Rep
1,030
Posts

Drives: 2017 MG M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Good. Passat is just an outdated and boring sedan that no one really cares about. I want to see the T-Roc R and the Arteon wagon instead.
I love the look of the Arteon wagon as well AlexFL , but the reality of it hitting US shores is highly unlikely. We live in a market where the average consumer prefers SUVs and Big Trucks.
__________________
2017 MG M3
Appreciate 1
AlexFL4798.50

      11-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
Smgs1992
Captain
577
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 2007 bmw 335i
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Cincinnati ohio

iTrader: (0)

It’s a shame as i really loved my passat. However i had a B6 which was the same as the euro models before they split to a US version. Drove a B7 and it just didnt have the charm.
Mine was fun for what it was to drive. Handled great. Had good power. Very comfortable.
__________________
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M32407.50

      11-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
3780
Rep
5,076
Posts

Drives: M2 Comp
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 305

iTrader: (0)

The current North American Passat is a horrible excuse for a car... its pathetic and was created for the US market as a down scale model of the Euro version. The Arteon is a very solid car (Albeit a bit underpowered) but the pricing is off the rocker in this climate and where it competes.

The Atlas / Cross are solids SUVs and have proved to be quite successful... even tho a 9 second 0-60 time isn't competitive with anything out there in its class. The new Golf / GTI are at least still solid cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
9138
Rep
4,777
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
New Report also claims EU Passat will be killed in favor of Skoda Models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor1
Volkswagen had planned to move production of the European-spec Passat from Emden, Germany to a new VW Group plant in Turkey for the midsize modelís next generation. The conflicts in Syria forced the automotive conglomerate to change its plans, ultimately deciding to shift production to Bratislava following a Ä1 billion investment in the plant.

The switch will happen in 2023 when production of the Passatís sister model, the Skoda Superb, will be relocated from the Czech plant in Kvasiny. However, a new report from Automotive News Europe claims VW has decided to discontinue the Passat sedan in Europe, following a similar decision taken for the US-spec model built in Chattanooga. The Passat (NMS) is technologically inferior to the MQB-based European model, and much like its cousin from the Old Continent, itís expected to bow out in 2023.

The silver lining? The Passat wonít be axed altogether in Europe as ANE reports the wagon (Variant) will live to see another generation. The thinking is VAG wants to reduce the risk of cannibalization as the Skoda Superb is known to eat into the Passat sedanís sales due to its greater practicality thanks to a larger footprint and a hatchback layout. It also used to be cheaper, but the gap between the two has been reduced in recent years.

The report goes on to mention the next-generation Superb will target customers from countries in central and eastern Europe where sedans are still popular while the long-roof Passat will lure in buyers from western Europe. It goes without saying the Passatís biggest enemy is not its Czech counterpart, but the proliferation of SUVs.

Company sources familiar with the VW Groupís agenda told ANE the company will shift even more focus to SUVs and its ever-growing EV lineup. Another victim will be the Passatís sleeker derivative Ė the Arteon. Both the standard liftback and the Shooting Brake (itís actually a wagon) wonít live to see another generation.

To end on a positive note, VW previously confirmed plans to start production of a new four-door Aero electric vehicle at the Emden factory from 2023. Itís widely believed to take the shape of a wagon, molded after the 2019 ID Space Vizzion concept.

Company sources familiar with the VW Groupís agenda told ANE the company will shift even more focus to SUVs and its ever-growing EV lineup. Another victim will be the Passatís sleeker derivative Ė the Arteon. Both the standard liftback and the Shooting Brake (itís actually a wagon) wonít live to see another generation.

To end on a positive note for the anti-SUV crowd, VW previously confirmed plans to start production of a new four-door Aero electric vehicle at the Emden factory from 2023. Itís widely believed to take the shape of a wagon, molded after the 2019 ID Space Vizzion concept.
Volkswagen Is Killing The Passat Sedan In Europe, Too: Report
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M32407.50

      11-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #12
GERMAN M3
Major
GERMAN M3's Avatar
Germany
2408
Rep
1,030
Posts

Drives: 2017 MG M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
New Report also claims EU Passat will be killed in favor of Skoda Models.


Volkswagen Is Killing The Passat Sedan In Europe, Too: Report
And, just like you said Josh....the Arteon is on its way out as well.
__________________
2017 MG M3
Appreciate 1
stein_325i9138.00

      11-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #13
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
9138
Rep
4,777
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
New Report also claims EU Passat will be killed in favor of Skoda Models.


Volkswagen Is Killing The Passat Sedan In Europe, Too: Report
And, just like you said Josh....the Arteon is on its way out as well.
Yep, no shock here, I found VW's choice in giving the CC a successor interesting, as the CC was initially successful in sales but eventually tapered off greatly. The Arteon is a great looking car, but its too expensive for a VAG product that doesn't wear four rings. Even compared to the EU Passat which its based on, the base model is €13k more expensive than the base Passat and they have the more practical wagon for any cargo needs.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M32407.50

      11-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3707
Rep
8,662
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Yeah, the Arteon pricing was just stupid. Priced over an A3 and close enough to an A4 that you'd just have to love transverse engines to pick one.

I still mildly regret not getting a manual CC when they were closing them out for $14k off. Would have been cheaper than my GTI.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i9138.00
GERMAN M32407.50

      11-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #15
psuibmw
Colonel
psuibmw's Avatar
United_States
2197
Rep
2,635
Posts

Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW X6  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
2018 BMW 320  [0.00]
Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results, so what's VW thinking when they tried the Phaeton before and failed and now they produced this Arteon
Appreciate 1
stein_325i9138.00

      11-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #16
AlexFL
Brigadier General
4799
Rep
3,161
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
And, just like you said Josh....the Arteon is on its way out as well.
But the Passat Kombi survived. Germans still love their VW Kombis.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M32407.50

      11-28-2020, 01:30 AM   #17
JamesNoBrakes
Colonel
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
1333
Rep
2,245
Posts

Drives: 428i xdrive GC
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yeah, the Arteon pricing was just stupid. Priced over an A3 and close enough to an A4 that you'd just have to love transverse engines to pick one.

I still mildly regret not getting a manual CC when they were closing them out for $14k off. Would have been cheaper than my GTI.
Arteon was a lot more like an A5 Sportback than an A4. Size was bigger than both.
__________________
Dinan Shockware, Dinan F3x Swaybars, ACS Springs
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3707
Rep
8,662
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yeah, the Arteon pricing was just stupid. Priced over an A3 and close enough to an A4 that you'd just have to love transverse engines to pick one.

I still mildly regret not getting a manual CC when they were closing them out for $14k off. Would have been cheaper than my GTI.
Arteon was a lot more like an A5 Sportback than an A4. Size was bigger than both.
Good point. Actually between the A4/A5 and A6. Still has a sideways motor and Haldex though. Really don't understand why it ever happened.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #19
FrostyDC4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
69
Rep
295
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i M-7DCT|Nissan Z Car
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Scottsdale / Gilbert AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Is the last gen car reliable? I see the local dealers discounting the shit out of these cars.
__________________
2012 135 Vermilion Red: DCT, M Sport, PPK 1 & 2

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #20
JamesNoBrakes
Colonel
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
1333
Rep
2,245
Posts

Drives: 428i xdrive GC
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Good point. Actually between the A4/A5 and A6. Still has a sideways motor and Haldex though. Really don't understand why it ever happened.
I was getting close to springing for one in the Spring for a 2nd car, but ultimately decided against it due to all the reviews stating how soft the suspension and handling was. VWs ACC system also appeared to not have a stop/start feature. The big draw was the utility of the hatchback, which IMO should come on every sedan, since it simply increases the utility to nearly that of a wagon, while still looking like a sedan. Went with a hyundai instead, which has all the tech I want, ACC with proper stop n go, remote start, pano roof, all the stuff to make me think I'm in a 3/4 series.
__________________
Dinan Shockware, Dinan F3x Swaybars, ACS Springs
Appreciate 2
AlexFL4798.50
Red Bread3707.00

      11-29-2020, 02:30 AM   #21
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
5693
Rep
4,141
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Sad news for me. Growing up my mother worked for VW/Audi corporate. I always enjoyed seeing Jettas, Passats, and Eurovans at her office.
__________________
Make BMW Great Again
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #22
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3707
Rep
8,662
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Sad news for me. Growing up my mother worked for VW/Audi corporate. I always enjoyed seeing Jettas, Passats, and Eurovans at her office.
I have an ID Buzz reserved. Hoping they give it a better name first.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto5693.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST