BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #1
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Front suspension sound

I've tried recording it but the phone just doesn't seem to do a great job of getting it. What I am hearing occurs when the front right wheel goes over small to large bumps in the road. I have tried changing the suspension setting through a 3 settings and the sound persists regardless of setting.

There is no feel of it in the steering wheel that is worth mentioning nor is there any sound during swerving. This seems to on happen when there are bumps/undulations. To me it sounds like a weighty wobble kind of sound but lugs are tight.

Hoping to get some tips on how to test and check parts.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 07:26 AM   #2
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Not sure if we have/had the same issue, but have a look at this thread.... In post#18, Walt has a recording of the sound, exact same as mine.

I did some further investigating and was determined to have the dealership resolve the issue, which they did. I see you are in Florida, mine only occurred in cooler temps.

L
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #3
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
Not sure if we have/had the same issue, but have a look at this thread.... In post#18, Walt has a recording of the sound, exact same as mine.

I did some further investigating and was determined to have the dealership resolve the issue, which they did. I see you are in Florida, mine only occurred in cooler temps.

L
Thanks for the tip in the post. I listened to the clip and it does sound just like what I am hearing.

My GC has been Florida owned and driven its entire life. It seems to me the sound coming from my front right has been easier to replicate lately but our roads here always seem to be in a state of disrepair.

I may just do the strut replacement to see if that resolves the sound but I hate just parts swapping. We have a many vehicles in our household and my son and I do a lot of our own work that said I've never had to sort out suspension issues. We have done body bushings and shocks on older cars but never any work on modern vehicles.

Thanks again as that entire thread was a very insightful read.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #4
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Glad to help. Since you two are mechanically inclined, it should be pretty straight forward to do this repair. I would have done it myself if I had to, but it was under warranty still.

I did recently replace all the springs, and thus dealt with the shock/spring assembly as well as other components. Very BMW typical the way this stuff comes apart.

L
Appreciate 1