BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-16-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
bmw_grinder
Rep
Drives: 640D and X5 (F15)

Boot is closed, no battery! HELP

Hello all

I have a 640D Coupe 2013 and I took the battery out of the boot to charge it. Unfortunately it started raining and I closed the boot. So now the battery is charged I can't open it to re-connect it.

I have tried applying some power to the front battery posts but all is dead. There is no physical keyhole. There is no way in through the back seats unless I force my way in, even then I am not sure I can open a UK model like that. I don't think there is a grab handle.

Has anyone got any suggestions before I call BMW!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #2
Doughnutlord
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D M Sport Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_grinder View Post
Hello all

I have a 640D Coupe 2013 and I took the battery out of the boot to charge it. Unfortunately it started raining and I closed the boot. So now the battery is charged I can't open it to re-connect it.

I have tried applying some power to the front battery posts but all is dead. There is no physical keyhole. There is no way in through the back seats unless I force my way in, even then I am not sure I can open a UK model like that. I don't think there is a grab handle.

Has anyone got any suggestions before I call BMW!!!
Hey, your key fob should contain a physical key inside. Look at the back and there will be a small button, press down and pull the top (where the keychain is) away and the key will slide out.

Your drivers door will have a keyhole so you should be able to get into the car.

If you have folding rear seats you can take out the ski hole box between the rear seats to access the boot/trunk. From there you can reach (might need something to extend your reach) the pull lever to fold one of the seats down. That will allow better access into the boot/trunk.

Not sure how to help if your rear seats don't fold down.

Once in, there is a boot/trunk release cable on one side, near the seat release levers.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

In for future reference.

Does bmw expects us to never remove the battery and close the boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #4
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Coupe was never offered with folding rear seats. Ski hatch is a solid suggestion. Not sure if you can access the trunk area when removing the rear seat backrests on the coupe, but I know that you can't on the vert. I may be wrong, but the I think that since there is no battery to close the power loop powering through the hood jump points would not work.

*IF* you can get into the trunk through the rear seats you should be able to get the trunk floor cover up to get the battery into place. It's likely not going to be easy at all, but that's the only solution I can think of.

Not having a mechanical key option for the trunk is a wee oversight imho.

Last edited by hugo_nz; 03-16-2021 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
bmw_grinder
Rep

I can get into the front of the car fine. I didn't fully close the doors. I don't have folding rear seats in the coupe. I managed to remove the centre panel from the rear seats which contain a first aid kit (didn't know that) but behind is what looks like a solid panel. I could probably force my way in but don't want to cause too much damage. Is there a trunk/boot release inside on the UK coupe? I've never noticed one.

I don't think there is anyway I could reconnect the battery from the back seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 03:52 PM   #6
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

I assume you tried the truck (boot) release button on the front of the front door frame when you put power to the engine room posts?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #7
bmw_grinder
Rep

I think I tried to press that button, I don't seem to get any power at all when I put power on the engine battery posts. I will try that again though.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #8
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
I assume you tried the truck (boot) release button on the front of the front door frame when you put power to the engine room posts?
This is unlikely to work since the power circuit of the car is open owing to no battery being installed. On other models this was solved by applying power directly to the appropriate junction box. This will likely cost a trip to the BMW workshop.
      03-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #9
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Seen it happen to a few others, basically it ended up having to go to the dealership to get it open. There is no 'cheat' to open it. Anything you try will be forceful and not worth it. Dealers can get access apparently.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 03:20 AM   #10
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

if you have the ski hatch try jump leads to the connectors and get the battery in the rear seats

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 05:37 AM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you used the correct jump start terminals in the engine bay...and supplied sufficient power...this should allow you to open the trunk using the switch in the driver’s footwell or the remote fob or the trunk Roundel mechanism.

Failure to open (when doing the above) usually occurs when an incorrect grounding point is used. Make sure you’re using the dedicated ground BMW provided and indicated in the owners manual. This should work even when the battery is disconnected unless you also undid the battery safety terminal, too...thus disconnecting the main fuse box from the positive cable that connects the front engine bay terminal to the main fuse box.

See engine bay images below for correct pos/neg engine bay terminals...if you used a bolt on the strut tower or other ground location...this could be the problem...it may not be truly grounded.

The image below shows the positive battery cable connections...and even though the illustration shows an e53 X5...BMW uses the same basic design in newer models since they all have a BST (battery safety terminal). Even if the pos battery cable is removed from the battery...the BST keeps the positive battery cable connected to the vehicle’s fuses & relays (if the BST isn’t blown)...this is why & how supplying power to the engine bay terminals allows the car to be powered even if the battery is removed:

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-18-2021 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      03-25-2021, 06:50 AM   #12
bmw_grinder
Rep

Hello, yes I have connected the battery to the front battery posts as described. Many thanks for the photos. There is still no power at all? I did get a spark when I connected the ground, I assume that is normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 10:23 AM   #13
bmw_grinder
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKPRIOR View Post
if you have the ski hatch try jump leads to the connectors and get the battery in the rear seats
No ski hatch!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #14
bmw_grinder
Rep

Sorted!

I spoke to my local BMW dealership who I bought the car from and they were not helpful at all. So I ended up getting the vehicle towed to a garage. They had it open in a less than an hour. Apparently via the fusebox. It cost me £100 which included the tow. Lesson learnt!!!
Appreciate 1
Frupal785.00
      04-03-2021, 02:01 AM   #15
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
I spoke to my local BMW dealership who I bought the car from and they were not helpful at all. So I ended up getting the vehicle towed to a garage. They had it open in a less than an hour. Apparently via the fusebox. It cost me £100 which included the tow. Lesson learnt!!!
Glad you got it sorted mate!

Last edited by hugo_nz; 04-03-2021 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:13 PM   #16
BMWenthuziast
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you used the correct jump start terminals in the engine bay...and supplied sufficient power...this should allow you to open the trunk using the switch in the driver’s footwell or the remote fob or the trunk Roundel mechanism.

Failure to open (when doing the above) usually occurs when an incorrect grounding point is used. Make sure you’re using the dedicated ground BMW provided and indicated in the owners manual. This should work even when the battery is disconnected unless you also undid the battery safety terminal, too...thus disconnecting the main fuse box from the positive cable that connects the front engine bay terminal to the main fuse box.

See engine bay images below for correct pos/neg engine bay terminals...if you used a bolt on the strut tower or other ground location...this could be the problem...it may not be truly grounded.

The image below shows the positive battery cable connections...and even though the illustration shows an e53 X5...BMW uses the same basic design in newer models since they all have a BST (battery safety terminal). Even if the pos battery cable is removed from the battery...the BST keeps the positive battery cable connected to the vehicle’s fuses & relays (if the BST isn’t blown)...this is why & how supplying power to the engine bay terminals allows the car to be powered even if the battery is removed:

This helped. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWenthuziast View Post
This helped. Thanks!

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 01:57 PM   #18
snarfster
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F13, BMW E90, Mini R53

Garage List
2013 BMW 640d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWenthuziast View Post
This helped. Thanks!
I have done exactly this. But I have no power to supply to the posts in the engine bay and I’ve left the negative terminal off the battery in the closed boot.

I was expecting a nylon emergency cable somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 03:50 PM   #19
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarfster View Post
I have done exactly this. But I have no power to supply to the posts in the engine bay and I’ve left the negative terminal off the battery in the closed boot.

I was expecting a nylon emergency cable somewhere.
Connecting a power source (battery charger/tender/maintainer/electric jump pack...or use battery jumper cables connected to another car) to the engine bay terminals still works even if the negative battery cable is removed from the battery in the trunk. The ground will be coming from the terminal in the engine bay...and the positive will be connected to the starter and battery in the rear through the BST.

Your car will be powered by the other battery or battery charger etc...it won't need your battery with the disconnected negative battery cable. It also doesn't take a lot of power to unlock the doors or trunk...so even a small 2-4 amp battery charger should be enough to unlock the trunk when using the jump terminals in the engine bay.

Appreciate 1
JBF650114.00
      03-22-2022, 11:56 AM   #20
MeesterQ
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Hello!

Just for future reference, how did they get the trunk open through the fuse box?
Did they remove a fuse?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 04:06 PM   #21
snarfster
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F13, BMW E90, Mini R53

Garage List
2013 BMW 640d  [0.00]
Worked perfectly using jump cables...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
snip
In case this affects anyone else I can state that I was able to open the car after supplying power from another car using the jump posts as described. I have no idea what I meant by my original response! ("But I have no power to supply to the posts in the engine bay and I’ve left the negative terminal off the battery in the closed boot.")

No need for the RAC or the dealer - just some jump cables and another car.

Thank you Qsilver7
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 05:32 PM   #22
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarfster View Post
In case this affects anyone else I can state that I was able to open the car after supplying power from another car using the jump posts as described…No need for the RAC or the dealer - just some jump cables and another car.

Thank you Qsilver7
…glad you got it sorted out and thanks for updating the thread with a verifiable solution.

Appreciate 1