BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

Carwash for 650i convertible

I have a 2014 650i convertible and i wanted to get some input on using a automatic car wash vs. hand washing. I know hand washing is always better, but am i doing damage to my top by using a carwash? Its mainly the dryers im worried about.
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 02:28 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

It depends. It's been decades since I have been to a drive through car wash. Are you talking about the touchless kind or the kind where spinning rags touch the car? I would never do the a latter kind because of the damage to the paint more so than the top. Basically, I would never take my car through any car wash where anything in the washing or drying cycle touches the car. Period.

The real issue with convertible tops is that the fabric can be irreversibly damaged in a second with the water from a high-pressure wand, even when at a do-it-yourself carwash. Never ever point those at the top from anything less than a foot away. As for a drive through carwash, I'd need to see how the water is sprayed at the top. But I'd personally never take my car through one.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 06:30 PM   #3
CardinalFlyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i Convertible

I haven't been through a car wash with mine and wouldn't consider it. That top is is both a benefit and vulnerability. Hand wash only for my 2014 convertible. I want to maintain the benefit part.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:38 AM   #4
LA640WS
Private
Rep
Drives: Vert 640, Merc SL63 R232

Chevron touchless carwash

I take all three verts through the wash at chevron touchless as a last resort. The pressure from the sprayers is a beast on the fabric. This is of course if you'd already applied 303 Fabric Guard and cleaner. I've tried all 5 price points, and they all leave some type of residue. More visible on the black car than the white ones, but spotty nevertheless. Price of owning any vert Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 06:49 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA640WS View Post
I take all three verts through the wash at chevron touchless as a last resort. The pressure from the sprayers is a beast on the fabric. This is of course if you'd already applied 303 Fabric Guard and cleaner. I've tried all 5 price points, and they all leave some type of residue. More visible on the black car than the white ones, but spotty nevertheless. Price of owning any vert Cheers
Can't say I understand much of this post. 5 price points of what? Spotty residue on what? It seems like you are saying on the paint since you say black is worse than white. Then you say that's a price of owning a convertible, but what does spotty paint have to do with it being a convertible?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 07:42 AM   #6
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

so it sounds like if i have to use a car wash use a touchless. Which i will because its a daily driver for me so it does get dirty a lot. It has 27k miles and my goal is to get it to 60k then dump it, but in that time i would rather not get wet from a leaky roof...
thanks for the comments.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #7
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

...look as an absolute last resort I might use but even then.... no, come to think of it... nope I never would, I'd get home and put the hose to the car myself if bird poo or something like that hit the fabric top. I have a lovely 96 R129 SL 500 and like all my cars they are always handwashed. The fabric top on my merc is in great condition for its age and i assume its much like any other quality fabric soft top as those on our bimmers. A good quality car shampoo massaged with a sponge mitt into the top and rinsed well with a hose is absolutely fine. There is absolutely no need to hit the fabric tops with high pressure gurnies, or as Opie suggests stand a few feet back if you use these types of hoses.
Its a NO, don't use automatic carwashes for any car you care about, the brushes, whirling sponges and the like are full of sand and crap from other peoples cars, its then rubbed all over yours and the the harsh detergents used are no good for the paint work.
If you cannot handwash your car go to a good handwash/detail/valet place and pay the money, plenty of them about. None will do as good a job as you will on your own car but they are the only option I would use if I need to have my car valeted quickly.
Appreciate 0