BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Angry Fighting with my HOA

HOAs are the devil. Fighting with mine right now b/c the landscaping company keeps refusing to cut my lawn b/c I complained to them 4 YEARS ago when they tossed a rock or something into the paint on the car I had at the time.

They never took responsibility for it & nothing ever came of it. Why is this, all of a sudden, an issue now? They keep saying I have to move my car from the driveway in order for my lawn to be cut. No, not required at all.

I bought a weed wacker & did it myself then sent the HOA & landscaping company the invoice for it. They have till tomorrow to get me a reimbursement check.

Before this, I went back & forth with them via email many times. The same bs of you have to move your car & they will cut it. Woman from the HOA called me at one point & left a vm, but no direct # just the main HOA office number which goes to gen vm. I left a msg & she never called me back.

No, no one has to move their car to get the lawn cut. You're not going to pull this bs.

The landscaping company never responded to ANY of the many emails I sent them.

If anyone has any tips or advice on how to get this resolved without going crazy, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Move. I will never live in an HOA community again and honestly mine is one of the better ones. I always have at least 2 cars on my driveway and my lawn guy has been cutting my grass for like 9 years. Never had an issue. However my HOA doesn't handle lawn mowing so.
Appreciate 4
Hawkeye2069.50
vreihen1614892.50
Dpc2u11503.00
Rmtt8206.00
      05-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Move. I will never live in an HOA community again and honestly mine is one of the better ones. I always have at least 2 cars on my driveway and my lawn guy has been cutting my grass for like 9 years. Never had an issue. However my HOA doesn't handle lawn mowing so.
Agreed - they can save you too. I live several miles out of the "city" and around a lake and we have a very loose HOA. You can't have motorcycle races on your property. No fowl of ANY kind (one of my favorites and already saved me once). Can't run a business that has customers on site from your home. Can't paint your house purple (I think it specs earth / iron tones or white). Requires yearly dues of $100-$200 to maintain the road - etc.

Lots of small little things like that - which I enjoy. Several have saved me from doom already - but some are crazy strict.

Ask for and read ALL HOA rules before ever moving in for sure. This sounds like a pissing contest though - which the lawn company seems read to continue.
      05-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Goto an HOA meeting and get others that are not happy with landscaping to speak up, then perhaps they'll change to a new company.

That or get the landscaping company's insurance and file a claim, perhaps get a lawyer involved if you want to fight it that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

I will never live some where that has a HOA.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Don't be a pussy and just go down to the HOA meeting and ruffle some feathers. If you can, get on the board and start changing shit.
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

HOA's are a double-edged sword.

It's nice to be able to prevent Cletus from permanently mounting his 1976 Bondo/Primered F-250 up on blocks in his front yard.

On the other hand-- most of the people in charge at the HOA are the EXACT people who should Never Ever have ANY power.

And most of them have never even read the HOA Covenants-- even though they're controlling things.

I've had my fair share of run-in's with them. I've always won, but it's a hassle nonetheless.

R.
Appreciate 4
      05-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I find that HOA's are counterproductive, the residents bitch and gossip about things they cannot change. The people on the board don't seem interested in solving problems, they just want to be perceived as powerful. The landscapers simply want to get through mowing and trimming and don't pay attention to the details. If you want anything done, go to a meeting with documents supporting your claim and don't rely on voicemail, email or texts. Do it in person.
      05-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
HOA's are a double-edged sword.

It's nice to be able to prevent Cletus from permanently mounting his 1976 Bondo/Primered F-250 up on blocks in his front yard.

On the other hand-- most of the people in charge at the HOA are the EXACT people who should Never Ever have ANY power.

And most of them have never even read the HOA Covenants-- even though they're controlling things.

I've had my fair share of run-in's with them. I've always won, but it's a hassle nonetheless.

R.
Thats why if/when I ever move my next home will be on enough acres so I don't have to ever see or hear cletus. The upside of living here is that, at lest for the past 9 or so years, it has been very safe. I always see posts on Nextdoor and ring about people having shit stolen and car breakins etc. Never had any issues here, which is good when we leave for a few months at a time.

Condos are the WORST though. I would never do that again! At my moms condo I remember I went to one of the HOA meets per her request. The HOA people literally started yelling and screaming at the people attending the meeting basically ending the meeting halfway through and basically stating "fuck you guys, I'm going home!".
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Landscaping sees you as a lawsuit waiting to happen. The HOA contracted the landscaper not the homeowners. The landscaper is under no obligation to listen to you at all.

The HOA has basically said that you need to move your car. Just do it and move on. Park it in the garage or something.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 6
vreihen1614892.50
RickFLM410882.00
sygazelle11103.00
vtown99.00
      05-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #11
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

You kind of asked for it by saying that they caused a rock chip on your car. Now they won't mow your lawn because they don't want to be accused of this again. Whether it was truly their fault or not doesn't matter at this point.

Lived in an HOA community for 4 years and paid $80 a month and got NOTHING in return. At least you get free lawn care !

Would never live somewhere that has HOA ever again.
Appreciate 3
iamwingman1203.50
Mardio197.00
King Rudi13152.00
      05-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Sorry to hear. In general I don’t like having to ask for permission to do simple things to my house so that rules out HoA. At the end of the day it really depends on the benefits you get and how much you’re paying them. Around here HOA fees nowadays start around $350 and goes as high as $650+. HOA fees are tax deductible as are home expenses but the restrictions and additional monthly cost don’t seem worth it to me for having HOA.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #13
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
HOAs are the devil. Fighting with mine right now b/c the landscaping company keeps refusing to cut my lawn b/c I complained to them 4 YEARS ago when they tossed a rock or something into the paint on the car I had at the time.

They never took responsibility for it & nothing ever came of it. Why is this, all of a sudden, an issue now? They keep saying I have to move my car from the driveway in order for my lawn to be cut. No, not required at all.

I bought a weed wacker & did it myself then sent the HOA & landscaping company the invoice for it. They have till tomorrow to get me a reimbursement check.

Before this, I went back & forth with them via email many times. The same bs of you have to move your car & they will cut it. Woman from the HOA called me at one point & left a vm, but no direct # just the main HOA office number which goes to gen vm. I left a msg & she never called me back.

No, no one has to move their car to get the lawn cut. You're not going to pull this bs.

The landscaping company never responded to ANY of the many emails I sent them.

If anyone has any tips or advice on how to get this resolved without going crazy, let me know.
They have a rule for cars to not be in driveway when grass is mowed? New rule?
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #14
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
You kind of asked for it by saying that they caused a rock chip on your car. Now they won't mow your lawn because they don't want to be accused of this again. Whether it was truly their fault or not doesn't matter at this point.

Lived in an HOA community for 4 years and paid $80 a month and got NOTHING in return. At least you get free lawn care !

Agree... the landscaper doesn't want the liability.

I would just move my car and be done with it. Life is too short to be battling a bunch of idiots that run the HOA.
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11103.00
King Rudi13152.00
      05-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

No advice but had similar. Scratched my x5d more than once and when talked to actual owner of landscape company before hearing any specifics said it wasnt possible they did it. No recourse.
Appreciate 1
Donatello.1015.50
      05-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #16
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Move is not an option right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #17
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
Agree... the landscaper doesn't want the liability.

I would just move my car and be done with it. Life is too short to be battling a bunch of idiots that run the HOA.
NO ONE is required to move their car to have their lawn cut. I am unjustly being singled out.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #18
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
They have a rule for cars to not be in driveway when grass is mowed? New rule?
No, never was such a rule & there still isn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #19
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Sorry to hear. In general I don’t like having to ask for permission to do simple things to my house so that rules out HoA. At the end of the day it really depends on the benefits you get and how much you’re paying them. Around here HOA fees nowadays start around $350 and goes as high as $650+. HOA fees are tax deductible as are home expenses but the restrictions and additional monthly cost don’t seem worth it to me for having HOA.
I rent, but this service is part of what the owner pays HOA fees for...

New landlord just bought the house so I'd rather not bother with with drama right off the bat.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #20
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post

What part of that was 4 YEARS ago did you miss & there has been no issue since?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #21
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Landscaping sees you as a lawsuit waiting to happen. The HOA contracted the landscaper not the homeowners. The landscaper is under no obligation to listen to you at all.

The HOA has basically said that you need to move your car. Just do it and move on. Park it in the garage or something.
Other car is in garage. I will say this one more time...

No one is required to move their cars to have their lawns cut. I'm being unjustly singled out. Not going to comply.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #22
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Other car is in garage. I will say this one more time...

No one is required to move their cars to have their lawns cut. I'm being unjustly singled out. Not going to comply.
I mean part of your HOA goes to cut that community portion of your lawn. You're getting shafted. I really don't fault you for letting them know about the rock chip.
Appreciate 0