BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #1
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Advice for mostly sleeper 650ix GC?

So I’m about 6 months into ownership of my dream car... just loving it more and more but it’s time to see what I can push.

My goal is to be able to ride, sound and appear very close to stock at times, and at other times crank the exhaust a few notes and be as fast as possible doing so.

Only cosmetic plan is m6 gloss black 2 spoke kidney grills, subtle but so much nicer.

My performance plans been to start with bm3 stage 1, (and otherwise just the carbon filter delete), and then upgrade and retune from there. Bm3 is on its way!!!

I’m thinking if I eventually go stage 2, go with ar design catted dps, (tune out cold start), and Wagner fmic upgrade... tune the sport+ exhaust with some miles burbles but leave the other modes alone...

What about getting turns a bit more planted? It’s not that bad,,, but could be better. Roll bars? Springs or better shocks? I don’t want noticeable drop, or ride stiffening in comfort, but would love sport/sport+ to be back breaking stiff... can m6 suspension be retrofitted? I’d love if the suspension could be more drastically adjusted via drive mode. Seems like ACS springs are the way to go for minimal drop with some sport mode improvement and similar comfort mode performance?

What else? Engine component upgrades? Turbo upgrades? Just put m badges all over the place like all the newer Bmw Msport models, and add 15 hp each one?

Thanks for any advice!!!
      02-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
sir harmony
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Your request is an oxymoron. You want to have a sleeper-like car, but mention eventually getting a host of performance mods, exhaust included. Exactly what type of advice are you seeking? Those mods you mentioned will all take you out of sleeper-like / stock status. If you want to stay as close to stock as possible, get a stage 1 tune. Use the mode selector to modify sport mode for either suspension or engine, or both. Drive in sport mode. That combined with a stage 1 tune should place you as close to stock/sleeper as possible. As for suspension, H&R rear springs offer a very mild drop. I'm not sure its worth changing them. The fronts however offer a rather aggressive drop. Pair the rears with the fronts from something else. Of course you'll have to do some homework on spring rates to see if they are a good match. Or better yet, get a full set of some other springs. And finally, no, M6 suspension cannot be retrofitted.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubq View Post
So I’m about 6 months into ownership of my dream car... just loving it more and more but it’s time to see what I can push.

My goal is to be able to ride, sound and appear very close to stock at times, and at other times crank the exhaust a few notes and be as fast as possible doing so.

Only cosmetic plan is m6 gloss black 2 spoke kidney grills, subtle but so much nicer.

My performance plans been to start with bm3 stage 1, (and otherwise just the carbon filter delete), and then upgrade and retune from there. Bm3 is on its way!!!

I’m thinking if I eventually go stage 2, go with ar design catted dps, (tune out cold start), and Wagner fmic upgrade... tune the sport+ exhaust with some miles burbles but leave the other modes alone...

What about getting turns a bit more planted? It’s not that bad,,, but could be better. Roll bars? Springs or better shocks? I don’t want noticeable drop, or ride stiffening in comfort, but would love sport/sport+ to be back breaking stiff... can m6 suspension be retrofitted? I’d love if the suspension could be more drastically adjusted via drive mode. Seems like ACS springs are the way to go for minimal drop with some sport mode improvement and similar comfort mode performance?

What else? Engine component upgrades? Turbo upgrades? Just put m badges all over the place like all the newer Bmw Msport models, and add 15 hp each one?

Thanks for any advice!!!
I run bm3 stage 2, catless dps, muffler deletes, full straight pipes and snow methanol injection. Pretty much maxed out unless you want to pull the turbos and go hybrid or pure turbos.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys!! Sorry if I was unclear...

I don’t want to change exhaust from cats back at all... only considering down pipes, and only to high flo catted ones. I had really good experience with the AR Design ones on my 535i years back, still could pass emissions testing without issue, and had only a negligible effect on the exhaust note.

Now reading up on folks who have done down pipes on the n63tu, I’ve come across everything from claims of no effect on sound to significant effects on sound... kind of why I posted this in the first place... hoping someone has the same mod design goals as me, and accomplished great things :-)

Looks like the bm3 allows you to tune the exhaust via burble configurations, differentiation between sport and sport+ mode, but the more I watch vids (almost all n55,s55, etc) seems like you have to go by trial and error to not affect the comfort/ecoplus exhaust sound inadvertently.

Basically this, in eco and comfort settings, I’d like no noticeable change outside the cabin... or as close to that as possible. In sport/sport +, exhaust can sound louder/more aggressive without getting obnoxious... I’m pretty sure I can accomplish this stage 1, even if I can’t get the tune right I can switch between stock and stage 1 tunes in just a couple minutes and I’m good to go.

Anyone with catted AR Design DPs on n63tu that can attest to exhaust note effect? Or maybe even have a sound clip?

My next thought was to explore and compare effect on turbo performance from charge pipe upgrades vs DPs, and what effect on exhaust note charge pipe might have?

I know I could do FMIC and keep sleeper status... don’t care about sleeper status when I’m WOT!

Hope this clarifies a bit
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
I run bm3 stage 2, catless dps, muffler deletes, full straight pipes and snow methanol injection. Pretty much maxed out unless you want to pull the turbos and go hybrid or pure turbos.
Accord, sounds like you’ve got one mean 6er!!! I did meth in my 535 and was happy with it, had the procede fully integrated setup, worked amazing... but definitely don’t want to deal with that on my 6 again. I always had a nagging concern about the integrity of the Lines from reservoir to intake... and is aPITA here in Colorado to keep stocked up on methanol.

Luckily we have inter cooler upgrade options on the 650... whereas the 535 was super limited without customizing a FMIC first. 650 there’s Wagner, Dinan, probably more?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, charge pipe was probably dumb... probably only helpful if your going to inject methanol, yeah?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubq View Post
Ok, charge pipe was probably dumb... probably only helpful if your going to inject methanol, yeah?
Nah you can use stock charge pipes even with meth. The aftermarket ones don't seem to seal great on the n63tu.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3