BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Coded Her!

Bimmercode worked great. It lost the connection several times, but a restart of my phone seemed to cure that. Let’s see if I can remember all of the changes I made:

1. Turned off all seat belt warning chimes. Hallelujah.
2. Turned off all legal warnings at start up. Brilliant.
3. Set mirrors to fold automatically upon locking car, .5 second delay, Set door locks so that they unlocked when you shut off the car (activated ‘unlock when key removed’), set iDrive to shut off upon opening the door. All Fantastic!
4. Changed start up screen to M Performance. Fun!
5. Changed seat heater values (Raised the temp on the seat backs and lowered it on the seat). Awesome.
6. Raised ambient lighting to 100%. Didn’t really notice.
7. One problem. I set the instrument display to display the M logo (lower part of tachometer) and it said M550d. This did not please me. Has anyone had experience with this?

Overall I am thrilled. It was a small annoyance to have to ‘confirm’ that legal warning, but small annoyances can become bigger ones when EVERY time you get into the car you get slightly annoyed. Lol! Also the removal of the warning on the back-up cam is awesome because that warning always seemed to cover up exactly where I wanted to look. Now if I can just do something about that manual trunk...
Appreciate 1
Derekz4169.00
      10-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

In regards to #7...I wonder if you'll need to go into EXPERT MODE to select the correct model. It appears that there are just a few modules that they've put on the "front page" (aka easy mode). Dink around in some of the coding forums and you may find the correct coding to use as a tutorial map to change the model from M550d.

But still be careful in expert mode because the instructions may be for a model/model year that has a slightly different communication bus & module...so it may not work for your situation in that case...or you may not even be able to find it.

For example, I was watching one of ThicF30's youtube videos where he was coding the BRAKE FORCE flashing light feature...and there were multiple comments that they didn't see the module or the code number in expert mode...but they also failed to mention what BMW model/model year they had. In his f30 3 series...he had a FEM an REM (front electronic module & rear electronic module) that required coding to activate the 3 or 5 flashes when BRAKE FORCE braking activates. I knew immediately that the coding for my f06 would not be the same because it doesn't have an REM nor FEM (I have an FRM aka "footwell module) which controls all the front and rear lighting.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-19-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

In regards to #7...I wonder if you'll need to go into EXPERT MODE to select the correct model. It appears that there are just a few models that they've put on the "front page" (aka easy mode). Dink around in some of the coding forums and you may find the correct coding to use as a tutorial map to change the model from M550d.

But still be careful in expert mode because the instructions may be for a model/model year that has a slightly different communication bus & module...so it may not work for your situation in that case...or you may not even be able to find it.

For example, I was watching one of ThicF30's youtube videos where he was coding the BRAKE FORCE flashing light feature...and there were multiple comments that they didn't see the module or the code number in expert mode...but they also failed to mention what BMW model/model year they had. In his f30 3 series...he had a FEM an REM (front electronic module & rear electronic module) that required coding to activate the 3 or 5 flashes when BRAKE FORCE braking activates. I knew immediately that the coding for my f06 would not be the same because it doesn't have an REM nor FEM (I have an FRM aka "footwell module) which controls all the front and rear lighting.
Thanks for this. I think I’ll leave expert mode to the experts. I don’t really need that logo up there. I sure do love the rest of the changes I made though!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Frupal, I have casually looked at a number of threads on using Bimmercode, but none have been a "Bimmercode for dummies" thread. Would you mind posting such a thread? For example, in another thread I saw you post a long list of OBD adapters that work. But which one did you get? Why? And what exactly do I/we need? Did you download it from the apple store to an iPhone or what? Some of us are capable of following instructions, but our eyes glaze over at the level of "download Bimmercode and get a dongle thing." That is what most threads amount to.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #5
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Any blutooth obd adapter should work. I use a $15 one i got on amazon. The app itself is pretty self explanatory in the basic mode, download the app and browse the demo. Some of the features you will need to research if you are going to use expert mode, but even that is simple as lobd as you know which item you want to code. You just turn the features you want or dont want on or off, then hit the code button. Wait afew minutes for it to finish, and boom goes the dynamite.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #6
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Frupal, I have casually looked at a number of threads on using Bimmercode, but none have been a "Bimmercode for dummies" thread. Would you mind posting such a thread? For example, in another thread I saw you post a long list of OBD adapters that work. But which one did you get? Why? And what exactly do I/we need? Did you download it from the apple store to an iPhone or what? Some of us are capable of following instructions, but our eyes glaze over at the level of "download Bimmercode and get a dongle thing." That is what most threads amount to.
I downloaded the app Bimmercode from the apple App Store, and then paid the $31.99 for the full version (in App purchase). Then I googled bimmercode and found this

https://bimmercode.app/adapters/

I went for the Veepeak BLE adaptor because it was only about $30.00. I use Apple exclusively so I did it all with my iPhone. The App comes with connection instructions built right in and they are fairly straight forward. One thing I screwed up the first time was that I forgot to turn off the car’s Bluetooth. Simple: Settings - Telephone - click the Bluetooth box! And then I also forgot to put my phone in airplane mode. Also, bimmercode makes a backup of your original coding as soon as you open a ‘module’ so if you don’t like the changes - or you lose the connection - it’s very simple to restore to the factory settling.

I was a little intimidated by the word ‘coding’ thinking that I’d end up buried in a pile of 0s and 1s and never find my way out, but this is simple and straight forward. The thing that confused me a bit was the labeling of the ECUs. But I surmised that these were simply locations of them. I think.

I really like all of the changes I made, and they’ve made my car much more livable. Auto mirrors, no seat belt or door chimes, warmer seat heaters, Auto Unlock! (Doors now open when I shut off the engine, eliminating the double door handle pull), Auto shut off (when I open the door, the iDrive shuts down now. I always hated having to push the start button a second time). Oh! And no more ‘legal’ I don’t have to hit ‘confirm’ every time I start her.

Happy Motoring!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

Hi Frupal,

I am going to code my car as soon as I receive my adapter.

I am wondering if I your method and adapter works the same for a Samsung S9+ (Android).

As well, there are two Veepeak BLE adaptors for sale, one BLE and one BLE+. Which one did you get?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelInChicago View Post
Hi Frupal,

I am going to code my car as soon as I receive my adapter.

I am wondering if I your method and adapter works the same for a Samsung S9+ (Android).

As well, there are two Veepeak BLE adaptors for sale, one BLE and one BLE+. Which one did you get?

Thanks
Hi Michael,

I got the Veepeak BLE. I didn’t see the +, but I did see another Veepeak that was like $75. So I bought the BLE for $30. As far as compatibility with your Samsung, I can’t answer that, but if you google Bimmercode and/or check on amazon where they sell the adaptor, you should be able to find your answer.

I’m very happy with the changes I made, and with Bimmercode.

Happy Motoring!

Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Robin,

So, is it this one?

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner Car OBD II Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS and Android Check Engine Light Code Reader Supports Torque, OBD Fusion App
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Robin,

So, is it this one?

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner Car OBD II Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS and Android Check Engine Light Code Reader Supports Torque, OBD Fusion App
Looks like it
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
I downloaded the app Bimmercode from the apple App Store, and then paid the $31.99 for the full version (in App purchase)
One more question ( I think )

Why did you upgrade for the full version? What features does it have in addition to the basic version?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
One more question ( I think )

Why did you upgrade for the full version? What features does it have in addition to the basic version?

Thanks again.
You can't code anything until you pay and upgrade to the full version. The free version only gives you DEMO mode where you can kind of see how the app works.

The IOS and Android versions work a bit differently. But again, if you read the instructions...it tells you exactly how to connect to the adapter. IOS connects differently...in the venerable fashion of Apple...it will automatically connect to the OBD II dongle when you open the app. With the Android version...you need to connect to BT or Wireless (depending on which dongle you purchased).

Bimmercode also lists their updated dongle recommendations to select from...and I don't remember exactly where...but there's a promo code listed to get a discount off the dongle if you purchase through Amazon...but this requires reading through the instructions and info (sorry I don't remember where the promo code was given).

Also, you can't jump back and forth between IOS & Android when using the Bimmercode app. Which ever version you buy, it will only work on that version. BUT...if you buy an OBD II dongle that communicates with both IOS & Android...there are other apps you can download/use With the dongle to communicate with your car.

For instance, I purchased the IOS version which means I can only use Bimmercode on any apple device I have. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note...and I have the Bimmercode demo app downloaded but can't use my phone to code. But I can use the Veepeak OBD II BT dongle with other apps (like Torque) to communicate with my vehicles.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-19-2019 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #13
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With all of your great advice, I just coded the car with some of the more popular changes you mentioned.

A few questions:

1. I set the Angel Eyes to 16% (100%, the next higher option, was way to bright) and the daytime running lights to 80%. Do you know if these are
the default amounts?

2. Is there a way to disable the small front orange cornering lights when the daytime running lights are on?

Thanks.
Hey Michael,

I wish I could answer your questions! I don’t think I coded the angel eyes, and I don’t remember what I did with the daytime running lights.As far as the orange lights, I assume that they are not individually programmable.

I’m going to hook up the Bimmercode app again tomorrow morning and go over everything I did and perhaps make a couple more changes. If I notice anything that helps with your questions I’ll let you know.

Have a great weekend!

Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #14
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Robin,

Thanks very much.

Let me know what you have your Angel Eyes and DRL set at. I would really appreciate it.

As well, did you change the 'brake force display' settings (I do not even know what that is )?

Have a great weekend as well.

Michael

Last edited by MichaelInChicago; 10-26-2019 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #15
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Robin,

Thanks very much.

Let me know what you have your Angel Eyes and DRL set at. I would really appreciate it.

As well, did you change the 'brake force display' settings (I do not even know what that is )?

Have a great weekend as well.

Michael
Hi Michael,

I finally hooked her up again. I ended up setting the Angel eyes to 16%because 100 was to bright. I didn’t change the daytime running lights. I think brake force display flashes the backlights rapidly if you slam on the brakes.

Happy motoring!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #16
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Robin.

The 100% angel eyes setting was way too bright so I left it at 16% as well. Do you remember if the DRL setting was default at 100%?

Michael
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:42 AM   #17
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Robin.

The 100% angel eyes setting was way too bright so I left it at 16% as well. Do you remember if the DRL setting was default at 100%?

Michael
Hi Michael

I don’t remember about the DRL setting, but next tine I hook up I’ll check!i suspect I left it where it was. I’m thinking I’d like them to be as bright as possible. I really want the other drivers to see me. lol.

Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:53 AM   #18
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40

I think they stay at 100 as default and once your headlights turn on they dim down to 16 percent ... I have it at 100 rite now but mite scale it back down . Once the headlights turn on everything kind of becomes a blur
Appreciate 1
Frupal779.50
      12-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #19
Jntnan17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i convertible

Quote:
I downloaded the app Bimmercode from the apple App Store, and then paid the $31.99 for the full version (in App purchase). Then I googled bimmercode and found this

I went for the Veepeak BLE adaptor because it was only about $30.00. I use Apple exclusively so I did it all with my iPhone. The App comes with connection instructions built right in and they are fairly straight forward. One thing I screwed up the first time was that I forgot to turn off the car’s Bluetooth. Simple: Settings - Telephone - click the Bluetooth box! And then I also forgot to put my phone in airplane mode. Also, bimmercode makes a backup of your original coding as soon as you open a ‘module’ so if you don’t like the changes - or you lose the connection - it’s very simple to restore to the factory settling.

I was a little intimidated by the word ‘coding’ thinking that I’d end up buried in a pile of 0s and 1s and never find my way out, but this is simple and straight forward. The thing that confused me a bit was the labeling of the ECUs. But I surmised that these were simply locations of them. I think.

I really like all of the changes I made, and they’ve made my car much more livable. Auto mirrors, no seat belt or door chimes, warmer seat heaters, Auto Unlock! (Doors now open when I shut off the engine, eliminating the double door handle pull), Auto shut off (when I open the door, the iDrive shuts down now. I always hated having to push the start button a second time). Oh! And no more ‘legal’ I don’t have to hit ‘confirm’ every time I start her.

Happy Motoring!
Does anyone know the difference between the $31 Veepeak OBDCheck BLE Bluetooth amd the $39 Veepeak OBDCheck BLE Bluetooth+ readers? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #20
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post

Happy Motoring!
You can code out the double door handle pull? Holy hell that made me sit up and think coding might be something I want to do on my 2016 640.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #21
SanDiego640
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Concerning the double door handle pull...

As I have noted previously, the German engineers believe you should never do in 1 step what can be done in 2.

The double door handle pull is only necessary if the system is coded to automatically lock the doors while driving. That feature, if currently active, can be uncoded.

I left the automatically door lock on, and then coded the auto-unlock upon "removing the key." Although the key is never really "removed," the effect is to unlock the doors upon switching off the ignition. And yes it removes quite an annoyance!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:01 AM   #22
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Does anybody know what the coding option to switch on the "Empty Menu Item in Board Computer" does?

Also, roughly how long does this process take? Bimmercode recommends doing it with the ignition on and engine off. Once I select my options and start coding, is it 5 minutes or 30?
Appreciate 0